Dominican Republic as an Oceania port of call. Safe?

Kingofcool1947

I’m thinking of taking an Oceania cruise to the Caribbean.  My question is about the itinerary.

For those of you that cruise with Oceania,  have you taken an Oceania Caribbean cruise with a port of call

includes the Dominican Republic?   In light of recent mysterious deaths at luxury resorts,  assaults,  and a shooting of retired MLB baseball  player,  David Ortiz  in the  the capital, Santo  Domingo, I don’t understand why Oceania makes the  Dominican Republic a port of call?  I am a bit worried.   I usually like to walk around at ports of call to explore independently.    Would you recommend instead to take a shore excursion in Dominican Republic?   Did you feel safe?

Thanks for your honest opinion.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

You'll be fine.

I lived in the Caribbean six years (not DR specifically, did travel there plenty).

Every island I saw has the sanitised side the tourist sees, and the sketchier areas mostly locals frequent. Things hit the news when those worlds collide and bad things happen. 

A person might ask "OMG is LA/Chicago/Florida safe for travellers?" after they've seen a shooting on the news in Compton/South Side/a high school.   

Kinda the same deal, really. Santo Domingo has its Compton. You want to stay away from that.

The DR is not like many cruise ports in the Caribbean such as St Maarten or Grand Cayman where you can just wander around.  I've done some charity work there a number of times in the Puerto Plata area (always accompanied by someone armed) as well as pleasure travel.  On this island, it's best to stay in the port area where there are some shops, a nice restaurant, and a swimming pool OR choose a ship's excursion.  Another option is to get a taxi and have the driver give you a three hour tour for a local's perspective.  We've done that...just be sure to get a driver whose english is good.

If you are planning on doing your own thing, then the simple answer is probably no - but that's just my humble opinion. Some of the others who visited during the same trip probably found it ok. However, the vast majority of the people I spoke too, would not want to repeat the experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nigelc said:

If you are planning on doing your own thing, then the simple answer is probably no - but that's just my humble opinion. Some of the others who visited during the same trip probably found it ok. However, the vast majority of the people I spoke too, would not want to repeat the experience.

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

which port in the DR?

the ship has a couple they stop at

Oceania  itinerary says it is Punta Cana, Dominican  Republic.

Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Thanks.

mostly  a beach area  & a tender port   so you may or may not make it

the seas were to rough the day we were there  so not stopping

just do some research on things to do  in case you do make it ashore

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Thanks.

There are plenty of all inclusive resorts there.  Could be spending a day at one of those.

18 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

I would not go ashore at that stop. 

From what I have been reading I do not feel DR is at all safe.  Even at the all inclusive hotels.  Stay Away   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I’m thinking of taking an Oceania cruise to the Caribbean.  My question is about the itinerary.

For those of you that cruise with Oceania,  have you taken an Oceania Caribbean cruise with a port of call

includes the Dominican Republic?   In light of recent mysterious deaths at luxury resorts,  assaults,  and a shooting of retired MLB baseball  player,  David Ortiz  in the  the capital, Santo  Domingo, I don’t understand why Oceania makes the  Dominican Republic a port of call?  I am a bit worried.   I usually like to walk around at ports of call to explore independently.    Would you recommend instead to take a shore excursion in Dominican Republic?   Did you feel safe?

Thanks for your honest opinion.

Because  its cheap to port there.....   Look at the state dept briefing on Dominican and Haiti  it aint all that wonderful..... People go there because its cheap too...       I plan on staying on the ship, myself   Same in Guatemala and El Salvador,.....  The region has the highest crime rate in the Americas.....  

• Like 1

On my CNN app they were letting people know how safe places were around the world with 1 safe 5 no travel (violence)

I’m sorry I was glancing at over 37 areas had no idea if it was a government site. 

Dominican Republic was considered unsafe for travelers gave a 4 and Haiti was also a 4. For what it is worth I would play it safe and not go into town. Just my opinion.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Stayed at an AI there once. One of the worst vacations I've ever had, horrible food, horrible service, horrible drinks that I had upgraded to the VIP package for. In all fairness it was a beautiful property with a great beach. 

Group of 6 and by the end or 3 or 4 days we were all living on Immodium, Pepcid and toast. At least nobody died like the folks there recently. I could see how someone with a weak system could. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

Stayed at an AI there once. One of the worst vacations I've ever had, horrible food, horrible service, horrible drinks that I had upgraded to the VIP package for. In all fairness it was a beautiful property with a great beach. 

Group of 6 and by the end or 3 or 4 days we were all living on Immodium, Pepcid and toast. At least nobody died like the folks there recently. I could see how someone with a weak system could. 

N.Y. Post now reporting nearly 70 tourists sick in DR since March.   Stay on boat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I have spoken with a lot of Canadians who have done AI in DR. It's really weird: Out of dozens of people, only one has ever told me it was OK. Either it was "Amazing! Going back ASAP!" or it was the worst vacation they ever had. 

With apologies to Tolstoy, the unhappy vacationers are unhappy in their own ways. There is much of the gastrointestinal carnage you describe. There is overall poor accommodation and food. There is bad service. There is "nothing to do." There were people who felt confined because the resort was in a sketchy area.

As to the Big Papi shooting, last item I read speculates it is a revenge shooting because Big Papi was getting his Little Papi acquainted with the wife of a jealous man. Such things are not limited to the DR.

I went to the Dominican Republic two years ago, and after researching it, we decided not to get off the boat. It seems like its only gone downhill since then. Acapulco and Jamaica are other ports we won't visit.  

Why do the ships still visit?  I'm sure you know the answer to that.

10 hours ago, ano said:

I went to the Dominican Republic two years ago, and after researching it, we decided not to get off the boat. It seems like its only gone downhill since then. Acapulco and Jamaica are other ports we won't visit.  

Why do the ships still visit?  I'm sure you know the answer to that.

Need someplace else to stop.  Running out of safe ports in the Cqrib. with a lot of  new ships coming out and Cuba closed for the time being.  Hope that changes soon.   But, some of the newer ships are nice to stay on anyway. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:34 AM, Shawnino said:

You'll be fine.

I lived in the Caribbean six years (not DR specifically, did travel there plenty).

Every island I saw has the sanitised side the tourist sees, and the sketchier areas mostly locals frequent. Things hit the news when those worlds collide and bad things happen. 

A person might ask "OMG is LA/Chicago/Florida safe for travellers?" after they've seen a shooting on the news in Compton/South Side/a high school.   

Kinda the same deal, really. Santo Domingo has its Compton. You want to stay away from that.

To be  accurate Santa Domingo  is Compton.   

• Haha 1