The river Main infos and river cruising experiences

notamermaid

It is 18 March and the 175th anniversary of the Märzrevolution in Germany. You do not hear that much about this phase in German history on a standard river cruise I reckon. It was quite a decisive event and while the big things happened in Berlin of course, Frankfurt had been chosen as the place for the assembly, more precisely the Paulskirche. If you would like to learn a bit about this aspect of history in this anniversary year, you can book a tour: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/frankfurt/offer/detail/Anniversary-tour-Update-Democracy.-Following-up-on-the-1848-Revolution-English-Adult-NDS00020140423164728?globalReset=1&lang=en

Or you can just read about it: https://paulskirche.de/en/pages/the-history-of-paulskirche

notamermaid

There are standard regional products and there are regional products, produce or dishes that have a special status of protection, in Germany labelled with g.g.A. One such thing is Frankfurter Grie Soß, green sauce from the area of Frankfurt. I mentioned it on page one, but it soon being the season for herbs,is  worth mentioning again. From Green Thursday, the Thursday before Easter, you should be able to get both the prepared dish in restaurants and the herb combination to buy in the wider Frankfurt area. Not going there, but Mainz or nearby on the Rhine? You should be able to buy the herbs there, too.

This is the idea of the protection, with the explanation of which seven herbs are in it: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frischkräuterkomposition_„Frankfurter_Grüne_Soße“

The recipe: https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/Cuisine/Recipes/Frankfurt-Green-Sauce

notamermaid

• 2 weeks later...

Flood warning in Hesse and Bavaria. After extensive rain the Main river will swell. How much we will need to wait and see. Main areas of rising levels are here:

image.png.56ea5b254ddf89cd4d25d4457ae5cc58.png

Green is okay, yellow and orange are warnings, purple is a dire warning. Much of that water will drain via the Main into the Rhine but apart from other rivers to the North, some of it will go to the Danube, but in a controlled way via the Main Danube Canal.

notamermaid

Many gauges are going up along the Main, here is the current situation at Würzburg:

image.png.2d7a33eb978a7abfc31dd099a03c6ce9.png

Flood mark I is at 270cm, so not too bad yet. The overall impression I get from reports is that this is not going to get much worse, the weather should improve soon.

The problem on the Main for river cruise ships are the low bridges. But that is something I can only mention and any problem arising from the high water levels will depend on an individual ship's height of the superstructure.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
grammar

image.thumb.jpeg.b5bf95f98d3e3ebd38968c6306739d72.jpeg

Vokach on the Main November 2021, AMAPrima arriving to pick us up. I dont think this was anything other than normal conditions so yes I would think ANY unusual water level would be an issue. 

And she is WAY low in the water here too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

I dont think this was anything other than normal conditions so yes I would think ANY unusual water level would be an issue. 

Yep, that looks really tight. The Main is really the river where low water is rarely ever an issue, but high water can be, from such photos I reckon more than on other rivers. Certainly more than on the Middle Rhine (which has very few bridges).

notamermaid

There has been an accident of a river cruise ship on the Main. Last night it hit the road bridge at Kostheim sailing downstream. Five passengers were slightly injured, one of them was taken to hospital. Police report says the ship was sailing at the wrong speed, hit the bridge and then a landing stage. The road bridge is open for traffic as usual.

Name of ship not disclosed.

notamermaid

The season on the Main has started of course, the lock closure for maintenance is over, so river cruises are starting from Frankfurt (mainly) or ships are coming onto the river from ports along the Rhine, the Main Danube Canal or the Danube.

Wertheim, a favourite with river cruise lines for many years, will be very busy again. Behind a paywall, but a few sentences are visible, is an article by "Fränkische Nachrichten" from 14 March that says quote: "502 Flusskreuzfahrtschiffe werden in diesem Jahr vorraussichtlich vor Anker gehen". So Wertheim expects 502 dockings of river cruise ships. That is a lot. According to the article, the first one this season was the Viva Tiara.

Having been to Wertheim for the first time last year, I must admit that I can understand the popularity. A really nice place complete with castle.

notamermaid

Things are improving fast on the Main now, all gauges report falling levels. This is Würzburg, which is now below flood mark I (little note at the bottom right says Schweinfurt as the authorities are based in Schweinfurt):

image.png.45630d0540c12c833f9807444d160b13.png

Definitely more headroom under the bridges.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

• 4 weeks later...

A quick look again at Frankfurt, this article is by Rick Steves. Some nice ideas for a day or two in this city before or after your river cruise: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/exploring-frankfurt-germanys-hub

What he does not suggest is the impressive Palmengarten, the botanical gardens. And I cannot believe that I have not mentioned them before. So here goes: https://www.palmengarten.de/en/index.html

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A quick look again at Frankfurt, this article is by Rick Steves. Some nice ideas for a day or two in this city before or after your river cruise: https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/read/articles/exploring-frankfurt-germanys-hub

What he does not suggest is the impressive Palmengarten, the botanical gardens. And I cannot believe that I have not mentioned them before. So here goes: https://www.palmengarten.de/en/index.html

notamermaid

Rick's books are my favorite travel planning tool, but he has a few weak spots.  (He's not big on gardens – but he will send you to every market in every town, often gets Catholic Church history and practice wrong, and is iffy on restaurant recommendations.)  But he's so good overall and I find planning trips outside of Europe – since that's the only part of the world he covers – much more difficult.

On 4/29/2023 at 10:08 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

He's not big on gardens

So he is no gardener. He certainly loves his German castles. 🙂 Must admit, I have not watched many of his videos or read many articles. Before I joined Cruise Critic I had never heard of him.

I am not an expert on gardens but I do enjoy them when I visit them. Along the Main, the Palmengarten is the only I one I have visited I think (unless my parents rolled me along somewhere in a pram).

When I went to Würzburg a couple of years back I really enjoyed the small rose garden and park directly behind the Palace.

notamermaid

Well, Chris likes gardens quite a bit, so they always make it to her to-do list. When we spent a weekend in Frankfurt, we definitely visited the Palmengarten. Very nice.

There's a Geldmuseum nearby vhich we enjoyed. And of course, Lohrberg is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. 

Veitshöchheim - that had been recommended to me and we were near there last year but did not have enough time to visit.

Geldmuseum - It must be this one you mean, of the Deutsche Bundesbank: https://frankfurt.de/english/museums-and-theatres/museums/museums-at-a-glance/money-museum-of-the-deutsche-bundesbank

For something different and to experience the fascination of (European) football one could visit the museum of the football club Eintracht Frankfurt: https://frankfurt.de/english/museums-and-theatres/museums/museums-at-a-glance/eintracht-frankfurt-museum

Language nerd note: Eintracht is German for unity (harmony) and there is the word Zwietracht which means not unity, i.e. disharmony, divided, quarrel etc., which gives us the obvious playing around in the newspapers with "Zwietracht bei der Eintracht", or in British football words I guess "United Divided" - or "United in Disunion".

Anyway, back to gardens or any other recommendations along the river.

notamermaid

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 11:07 AM, notamermaid said:

Things are improving fast on the Main now, all gauges report falling levels. This is Würzburg, which is now below flood mark I (little note at the bottom right says Schweinfurt as the authorities are based in Schweinfurt):

image.png.45630d0540c12c833f9807444d160b13.png

Definitely more headroom under the bridges.

notamermaid

Notamermaid,

We are embarking AMAwaterways for a trip from Nuremberg to Wasserbillig in a few weeks, so I have been following your Rhine water levels posts.  Would you have any updates for water levels for the Main River in the coming weeks?

This is our 4th cruise involving the rivers in Germany, so I follow and enjoy your  posts and ideas for visiting the area.  Thanks for all of the time you spend on Cruise Critic. 

whitbob

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:53 AM, notamermaid said:

Veitshöchheim - that had been recommended to me and we were near there last year but did not have enough time to visit.

I love going to the Rococo Gardens at Veitshochheim.  We went in April.  Took the day ship from Wurzburg (was a sunny day) and just enjoyed the gardens.  You may visit the palace but any tours only in German.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whitbob said:

Would you have any updates for water levels for the Main River in the coming weeks?

Not really. I cannot see long term forecasts published. But overall it looks good for the next  three days. There appears to be no risk of flooding right now and the Main is regulated by locks so we virtually never see low water.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the Rhine thread I have written about the epic journey of the Norwegian Viking replica boat, The "Saga Farmann". It has left the Rhine and is now on the Main. As I write she is still tied to the Heike Lucie at the port Bischofsheim. I had understood from the videos posted by the boat crew that the barge would take her as far as Mainz. We will see tomorrow what has happened and if there was a change of plan. It is easy to track and try and spot the boat on the river as like other ships she sends a signal (this is the 21st century not the tenth 😉).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:6781228/mmsi:257081140/imo:0/vessel:SAGA_FARMANN

notamermaid

The two ships have parted company and the Heike Lucie is sailing upstream on the Main on her own. The Saga Farmann is remaining in Gustavsburg/Bischofsheim and according to a local newspaper is planned to stay there till Sunday morning.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, I want to thank notamermaid and steamboats and all the other regulars for supplying so much wonderful information.

My friend and I are planning a Christmas Market cruise on the Main this December, from Regensburg to Frankfurt, stopping in Nuremberg, Bamberg and Wurtzburg. While the markets look fun, I'm not really a shopper, but I do enjoy the edible treats. The cities also look as if there's plenty of history to keep it interesting. 

We live someplace cold, so we know how to bundle up. Any thoughts/advice/things we should know about? The cruiseline offers tours of each city, then free afternoons. Unfortunately it will be too cold for an afternoon bike ride, but hopefully we'll find some other entertainment.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:00 PM, SnowshoeCat said:

My friend and I are planning a Christmas Market cruise on the Main this December, from Regensburg to Frankfurt, stopping in Nuremberg, Bamberg and Wurtzburg.

That sounds a really nice itinerary that focusses on the Main River. You are in new York, so the weather we have will be similar to yours. You are right, no problem there. I cannot think of major things to take into consideration. You probably know that Christmas markets only really get going at the very end of November. Going in December is lovely, enjoying the lights and atmosphere will be "inevitable" as it gets dark early. No, you do not need to do lots of shopping. 🙂 Get the Christmas treats in Nuremberg, sample the famous sausages in Regensburg, try a Rauchbier in Bamberg (you may have get a story to tell at home, i.e. it is a bit "odd"). Basically enjoy food and drink with the rivers and canals as the backdrop. There is lots of history, the towns and cities vary in their style and age. Oh, I like Würzburger Hofbräu and highly recommend visiting the Residenz. Have heard got things about Bamberg. Frankfurt is our "Manhattan on the Main". Lots to see and do. One thing, it is nicer and more relaxing to fly into your destination the day before your cruise. It would be a pity to see little of your embarkation port.

I will take the liberty of calling @steamboats our woman in Bavaria. Should you happen to be flying into Munich - she can tell you all about her city and the Isar River. 🙂 And she of course knows the Main, the Bavarian Main better than me.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Danke! I like the itinerary because it seems "easy".  Just one country, and I don't have to think about "where am I"? And maybe my German will come back before I head home.

I actually spent a summer in Bavaria, so I do want to fly in early and revisit some areas.

• 1 month later...

The Main river - if you are new to the area you may be wondering why this thread does not come up regularly for water levels. We are in summer and the river is so deep and controlled by locks that low water is almost never an issue. Flooding affects the river as much as others. A particular aspect that is negative about sailing on the Main is the low bridges and the sun deck. But that is on page one and you can read it there.

Along the river we get standard ports with little variation in itineraries but in recent years there has been a bit more choice. All the standard ports are interesting of course.

Last year I went to Wertheim for the first time and really enjoyed it. I know a little of the area but would really like to see more. A small town that has been recommend to me by a very dear person is Schlitz. "Great!", I thought, but it is actually a bit far out from Frankfurt. Oh well, there are plenty of other places, mind you a town with four (!) castles really needs exploring. I will try and fit in Schlitz some time this year. The town is on one of the routes of the "Half-timbered Houses Road": https://www.deutsche-fachwerkstrasse.de/en/Homepage.html

See Weserbergland-Spessart.

One of the other places along that road that we have not talked about yet is Steinheim, which is a district of Hanau. It is well known for its architecture. So I checked a video since I have not been there yet. Not bad, not bad at all. I love the tower: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Steinheim#/media/Datei:Schloss_Steinheim_Ansicht03.jpg

which you can apparently see from the river as well.

And as always, if you feel like sharing your photos of anywhere on the Main, please do. :classic_smile:

notamermaid