Edge Jumbo?: Coming in Fall, 2021!

vtcruising

Just returned from our first cruise on Edge. Liked much of the ship, but saw many flaws. One HUGE mistake IMHO is having only two elevator banks. We have cruised over 50 times on ships big and small. Never have we had such frustration with long waits and overcrowded elevators. If additional passengers are added without more elevator capacity, I can only imagine how the frustration will increase. Likely they would not add additional elevator capacity with the addition of a few hundred passengers...thus the situation will only get worse. Very unfortunate.

I agree with others in that Reflection is too crowded. Unless the deal is very good, I have no desire to book a cruise on Reflection again.

As for the elevators, I also don't like just two banks. While I'm sure they're more efficient overall, and the decision to have them comes down to data pointing to such, efficiency on paper and public perception are two different things. Humans will justify longer wait times at peak periods easier than the overall performance of the elevator system. Telling somebody that 1000 bodies can be moved over an hour over 750 bodies certainly sounds better, but it misses human rationale.

Reflection was def a one and done for us. Too crowded, and they changed the Sunset Bar area into a big  round bar  which segmented that deck too much.. Way too many bar seat hogs for our taste. Also having the spa and Solarium in 2 diff levels was quite inconvenient for a spa type day! We did like BLU..but if they add more suites it will be overwhelmed.

We thought EDGE was a nice size... needed one nice jazz club or  a more intimate piano bar area.  The aft elevs were very busy and a long walk from our SV cabin... We would not book bigger that S Class or EDGE and APEX!

On 6/15/2019 at 3:26 AM, Mynki said:

I've half been expecting this. I remember a few years ago when Edge class was announced we had the conversation on this board. With S class the first three ships are near identical, they then build a slightly larger Silhouette and then an even larger Reflection. It's as if they learn from the construction process as they go along and add to, improve the design or both. 

I wouldn't be surprised if number five or any subsequent ships in the future take a similar route to what Reflection did because they'll be teams of people in Miami trying to think of ways to improve revenue streams from the existing Edge product over the next few years from a ship design process. 

Good link. 🙂

They did the same thing with the Century class ships years before, Century was built and then they added a section on the Galaxy and Mercury making them bigger.   It was most noticeable inside near the dining room going into the lounge. 

On 7/30/2019 at 5:39 PM, Arno. said:

We have yet to set foot on the Edge but our last Reflection Cruise will also be the last.  We have sailed on her many times but the experience is no longer worth the savings compared to other S Class ships.  The extra bodies on board are noticeable for every special event (Michael's/retreat) and dining venue.  The itineraries of Summit will keep us busy cruising in our favourite destination.... Rendezvous.

I haven't set foot on Edge yet either.  Not at those prices.  See you on board in August.  So far, I have 52 days booked on Summit next year.  They can keep their IV cabins and their mega ships.