Steakhouse

8 minutes ago, Tom.Terrific said:

As long as we can start our meal with Bone Marrow and Beef Tartar, we'll be fans of the steakhouse!  

While I won't be going back, I wholeheartedly agree the Beef Tartare was amazing.  It was the one saving grace of our last visit.

Booked for dinner with my wife in September on the Sunrise.

This will be our 3rd Dinner at the Steakhouse on Carnival.

Looking forward to the night out with my wife.

We also do the Cucina one night as well.

Its a nice mix with the Anytime Dining plan.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:55 PM, bury me at sea said:

Wherever I eat on the ship I am going out to eat.  I can choose included venues or pay extra venues.

For me it's simple; the steakhouse isn't offering enough above the MDR to pay the current charge.

HMMM...SORRY, HAVE TO DISAGREE, The steakhouse on the Conquest was amazing.  I could never get a meal, lobster bisque, stuffed mushrooms, steak, lobster, baked potato, dessert and gratuities for $38.00 at home...NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN....

Edited by lmb84
add
  • Like 2

I really enjoy the Steakhouse on my cruises. I usually book the steakhouse on one of the Elegant Nights so I can have an extra reason to get dressed up and have a wonderful dinner with my Husband. I also like the fact that it takes about 2 hours to complete. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere and the two of us can have a good time talking while enjoying our meal. Once we're done, we go find all the backdrops we like and take some really nice photos. By the time we go take pictures the lines have all died down and we're not standing around waiting to get our pictures taken. So for us, we love the Steakhouse and it's something we look forward to doing!

It was $25, then $30, then $35... when did it make the (odd) jump to $38 ?

I missed it when they did away with the live entertainment (Supper Club days)... then I missed the table cloths... no matter (you can't step into the same river twice).

Have not tried the new menu, but am looking forward to it in a couple of weeks - already have each night booked in there (have not had a MDR dinner in a few years on any line).

Happy to see the Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes w/wasabi still there --- that was my go-to side perhaps 80% of the time.

Tom

On 6/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, coevan said:

I believe we live in parallel culinary universes. You must think Outback and Texas Roadhouse have good steak. Sorry, to us the the service is miles above the harried MDR. The steaks are aged USDA Prime in line with Morton's or Ruths Chris, which are about $50 ala carte. Plus, soup, salad, appetizer and dessert, what a bargain. BTW, Lobster Bisque can be made as a puree and has no chunks of lobster, so do. We go at least twice a week, definitely chaotic MDR night one. 

I agree. I think its in line with upscale chain steakhouses like RC's. That said, you need to be a steak eater/fan. If your going there for something else you may not feel like your getting your money's worth. Always thought the service was top notch, never any issues. 

On 6/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, robin13 said:

I totally agree with you!  I always eat at the steakhouse as I have never had a bad meal.  And like you said where in the US can you get USDA Prime meat with all the extras for $38?  That meal alone would be at least $100 in Dallas.  And if you go on the first night you also get a free bottle of wine.  I know a lot of people complain about the quality of the wine but to me it was drinkable and hey it was free.

The cost is not really $ 38. It is 38 on top of a particularly good meal in the DR. BTW you can get a much better quality bottle of wine at half price at steakhouse

On 6/17/2019 at 9:13 AM, lmb84 said:

HMMM...SORRY, HAVE TO DISAGREE, The steakhouse on the Conquest was amazing.  I could never get a meal, lobster bisque, stuffed mushrooms, steak, lobster, baked potato, dessert and gratuities for $38.00 at home...NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN....

Totally agree. The price is excellent and so is the food. Our only problem. We need to remember to not eat a lot for lunch. You get so much. Unlike a steak house on land. Everything is included for that price. Unbeatable. We just ate at the New Texas Steakhouse by us and it was our first and last time. So many excellent reviews and such bad experience. Low cost till you add up all the extras and then the tip. The steak was $28.00 by the time you got finished without desert it was $48.15 including the tx but no tip.

I read somewhere (maybe JH's FB page?) that they also offer the free bottle/or 50% discounted wine of choice on elegant night as well.  Can anyone who's recently sailed and eaten at the steakhouse on elegant night possibly confirm this for me?  We always book the 1st night.  It's always relaxing for us after that exciting, but tiring and chaotic 1st day on board.

50 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

The cost is not really $ 38. It is 38 on top of a particularly good meal in the DR. BTW you can get a much better quality bottle of wine at half price at steakhouse

Sorry but I don't look at it that way.  I look at it eating in a nice restaurant and getting to order pretty much whatever I want for $38. I like the atmosphere of the steak houses so that adds to my enjoyment of eating a good steak and taking my time relaxing.   And for the wine I always have the drink package so I'm not going to spend additional $$ on buying a bottle of wine.   But it is a good deal for those that don't have the drink package.

4 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

It is 38 on top of a particularly good meal in the DR

Can you please explain your logic? MDR is included. Steakhouse is an option you can decline. Do you put a dollar value on the buffet or pizza?

4 hours ago, Amadawn1 said:

I read somewhere (maybe JH's FB page?) that they also offer the free bottle/or 50% discounted wine of choice on elegant night as well.  Can anyone who's recently sailed and eaten at the steakhouse on elegant night possibly confirm this for me?  We always book the 1st night.  It's always relaxing for us after that exciting, but tiring and chaotic 1st day on board.

Correct, same deal runs the first elegant night. 

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Can you please explain your logic? MDR is included. Steakhouse is an option you can decline. Do you put a dollar value on the buffet or pizza?

Included in the cost, of the cruise is a very nice dinner in MDR plus a tip. It is certainly worth some amount. On top of  that you pay $ 38 for dinner in steakhouse and possibly an additional tip 

11 hours ago, coevan said:

The way I look at it is you get a decent banquet quality meal in MDR included in your cruise price or you get a quality steakhouse at a discounted price compared to comparable steakhouse on land. Compared to Ruth's Chris, Flemings or other higher end chain restaurants it is half of what you would pay on the low side at those establishments.  So deeply discounted fine dining or included decent banquet meal... either is a good value.

1 hour ago, TEXSUN46 said:

The way I look at it is you get a decent banquet quality meal in MDR included in your cruise price or you get a quality steakhouse at a discounted price compared to comparable steakhouse on land. Compared to Ruth's Chris, Flemings or other higher end chain restaurants it is half of what you would pay on the low side at those establishments.  So deeply discounted fine dining or included decent banquet meal... either is a good value.

Its your money and if works for you go for it. We do go to steakhouse about once every other cruise. We do enjoy it but do miss the porterhouse

I haven't been on Carnival for over 15 years.  We usually cruise on NCL out of NYC and enjoy their steak restaurant - Cagney's.

I also thought $38 was a bit steep, but we plan on celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary next September on this cruise and will be booking the reservation on our anniversary evening.

Can someone please provide the link where I can view the menu for the Steakhouse?  I would like to see what they offer.  My wife loves filet mignon (medium rare) and I love my ribeye steak (well done):classic_wink:

Don

14 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Included in the cost, of the cruise is a very nice dinner in MDR plus a tip. It is certainly worth some amount. On top of  that you pay $ 38 for dinner in steakhouse and possibly an additional tip 

No one is making you spend $38 on an outstanding meal and service. 

29 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

For us, $38+tip is well worth it to enjoy better quality food in a more relaxed atmosphere (do the waiters still dance in the MDR?).

Tom

sad but true. Hard enough to give good service but they are required to stop serving and perform for us 

I haven't eaten in a "Carnival Steakhouse" in a few years - as I've been on the older smaller ships most recently that don't have a dedicated steak house.  I'll say this though - used to be a heck of a great deal for the (a) quality of the meat (granted it's not my local, grass fed fresh beef, but it's very high quality frozen), (b) the atmosphere and service.  The $20 upcharge in the MDR for "steakhouse selections" by comparison is definitely, IMHO, not a good value.