Steakhouse

13 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Imo a $38 up charge is excessive  & since Carnival changed it's menu , not worth the effort or desire to dine  in the Steak House

Definitely not every night but I am glad we did it one night on our cruise last week. For us it was worth it.

14 hours ago, tattoos said:

Wow, I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that bone marrow that my mother got at the butcher shop and cooked for my Dad during World War II when there was no meat available would now be a cherished item on a menu.  The only person allowed to eat the bone marrow in our house was my father because he was working three jobs.  We all thought it was disgusting and were happy that my father ate it.

I really thought I would like it more than I did. I was really looking forward to it. I didn't not like it but I didn't like it either if that makes sense.

I sincerely hope that everyone that eats at the Steakhouse on the Magic has a better experience than we did.  What was supposed to be quality time spent with my family and a special dining experience turned into a challenge just trying to talk without our neighbors hearing us, terrible service and food that was mediocre at best.  The only two items that stood out were the delicious rolls and the mushroom risotto.   That little broiled tomato that the waitress put on our dish sure was old school.  I haven't had a broiled tomato since 1962 in Miami on my honeymoon and even then I thought it was weird, ha!

2 hours ago, IamPEBJ said:

I really thought I would like it more than I did. I was really looking forward to it. I didn't not like it but I didn't like it either if that makes sense.

It makes sense to me - especially for something you were anticipating enjoying.  I have several foods that I can eat and not mind, but they don't wow me and I wouldn't say I particularly like them.  If I don't like a food I generally won't eat it.

@tattoos, I've only had the tomatoes on cruises - and generally at breakfast.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, meatloafsfan said:

We had a great experience in the Steakhouse on the Sunshine back in January. The food and service were both wonderful.

Of course, JiJi's remains the best specialty dining at sea but that's on such a limited number of ships. :classic_dry:

My Canadian friend you are right. At least in the Carnival world...JiJi’s is the best specialty restaurant at sea. Easily beats the Carnival Steakhouse, especially with new Steakhouse menu.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:59 PM, fyree39 said:

Whenever we visit again, I may skip the steak and go with the chicken or fish. Try something different for a change.

If you're looking to try something other than the steak, I HIGHLY recommend the lamb. I've had it twice now, on two different ships, and still dream about those meals. 

15 hours ago, Tampa Bay Irish said:

My Canadian friend you are right. At least in the Carnival world...JiJi’s is the best specialty restaurant at sea. Easily beats the Carnival Steakhouse, especially with new Steakhouse menu.

I see Golden arches in your future.....

In addition to what I consider an excellent steak, wonderful apps and tasty sides (plus the 1/2 price on any wine or a free house bottle on the first night) I also enjoyed the wine pairing with my last experience on the Pride In February.  It was a up-charge of $18 but very nice and again worth it in my opinion.  

I have already booked the steak house for my next sailing the first week of August and looking forward to it

On 6/28/2019 at 12:33 PM, meatloafsfan said:

We had a great experience in the Steakhouse on the Sunshine back in January. The food and service were both wonderful.

Of course, JiJi's remains the best specialty dining at sea but that's on such a limited number of ships. :classic_dry:

I totally agree with you about the Sunshine’s Steakhouse. We were there last August and it was delicious. But our favorite meal (infact we went twice) was also JiJi’s. Amazing food. Amazing service. Amazing atmosphere. Hands down the best!

On 6/21/2019 at 6:46 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Right there with you !

We've dined there a good 125-150 nights (I have no real idea) - but am really looking forward to this new menu. Thanks the the heads up on the oysters !!

Tom

Carnival Wine Promo.jpg

So is it possible to purchase more than one bottle of wine at 50% off on the first night?  That would be awesome!  And on a 4 day cruise, does anyone know if there are any other nights, other than the first, that you could get 50% off a bottle of wine?  

14 minutes ago, schnippo said:

The steak house no longer offers free bottle first night, now they offer discounted wines first night. It changed a few months back.

Do you know if you can get more than 1 discounted bottle?

17 minutes ago, schnippo said:

The steak house no longer offers free bottle first night, now they offer discounted wines first night. It changed a few months back.

Dear ******,

Your reservation request for 2 Guests at 6:30pm on Aug --, 2019 has been confirmed.

To help you plan for the evening, our dress code can be found herehttps://www.carnival.com/help/1093.

Should your plans change, please keep us advised atlisteakhouse@carnival.com.      I will do my best to accommodate you atanother time.

We look forward to serving you!

Steakhouse Manager,
Nikolina Pintaric
Carnival Liberty

P.S. We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse on Embarkation and the first Cruise Elegant nights of the cruise! Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

I received this via email in May.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, schnippo said:

That's false.  I have my steakhouse reservation printout for 1st night on the Magic in Sept. right in front of me.  Right at the bottom it says:  P.S We are having a promotion in the Steakhouse on Embarkation and the first Cruise Elegant night of the cruise! Guests booking a reservation on either night will receive a complimentary bottle of house wine or 50% off any bottle from our wine list!

Hard time justifying nearly $80 upcharge for dinner for 2 over what is included in MDR when they can't even cook steaks with flame.  If you are pan frying a steak and comparing to chains like Outback and Texas Roadhouse it is not a "steakhouse".  Might fool some of the people some of the time...

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

No, I don't think it is lower quality than those chains.  But those are not what I would consider special dining occasions, nor worth the money over staying home. 

You and I are both in east coast areas that have a LOT of dining options, so I'm not really wowed by any special dining on a cruise ship.  Some are better than others, but I think these restaurants more appeal to people from areas without a lot of choices.  It gives them a different experience.  But I haven't had a cruise ship meal that ever compared to really good land restaurants in terms of food quality.  

I find carnivals MDR pretty good.  I couldn't bring myself to spend $76 more to skip the MDR to go to Outback. 

LOL, I was so in agreement till the last word.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

when they can't even cook steaks with flame.

The Steakhouse is the only place with open flames. They use super hot broilers like Ruth's Chris. We saw this up close in the Behind the Scenes Tour. All the steaks I have eaten in the Steakhouse have been marked, can't do that in a pan. MDR steaks are baked in a sheet pan

• Like 1

Like everything else with Carnival, the cost keeps slowly inching up, and the product you get keeps losing quality.  I still consider the steakhouse a bargain, but the slight cost increase does not match up with any improvement in the menu.  In fact, as so many others have said, the menu is not as great as it was just a couple years ago.    

All of you who are so upset with the cost of the steakhouse be $38 now is making me laugh.  In the grand scheme of things we are talking 3 whole dollars.  I don't know,  but maybe someone got a raise or cattle prices went up.  Hell you just dropped what, $1500 to $4000 on a cruise for you and your family?

• Like 2