Is cruising really a great value travel option?

adelaidefc

The best part of cruising is going to cities, countries or islands I might have not chosen or overlooked. Two of my best travel experiences were in Fiji. On one island we were invited to our taxi driver's home for tea and dessert. He also took us to local places we would have missed. On Suva, we made arrangements to attend a local church service and were their guests of honor for three hours!   Extreme hospitality. 

https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/suva-fiji/ and https://donnagawell.com/europe/australia/lautoka-fiji/

In Europe, we were delighted with the many ports I would have never been to if not for a cruise. 

I look at most of my cruising as just a way of getting to places rather than the ship experience (which I also enjoy.)

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 9:05 AM, ducklite said:

I am one of "those people" who is not always keen to eat "local foods" particularly in parts of the world where there is not only a language barrier, but a great many foods that I'm allergic to are typically served or mixed in.  Considering 10% of the worlds population has a food allergy or sensitivity, we aren't as uncommon as you'd think.  Not ending up on a gurney in a hospital in a foreign country is far more important to me than the opinion of someone who judges people for not wanting to "eat the local food."   

Where did I judge someone for not eating local food?

What I said

It could be a dinner show.

I did one in Chiang Mai that was wonderful.  But someone who would not eat local food might not even go.

Although, eating different things is one of my major joys of traveling.  And getting to try the dish the way it is supposed to be, not the Americanized version.

I stated at least one venue I knew of, that someone who would not eat local food would not go, and would have missed a very interesting evening.

And I pointed out that I like to eat the various foods when I travel.

If you do not or can not, that is YOU.  And you have to live your life.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 1

We are planning a trip to Greece and possibly to Morocco in Sept/Oct.

I can assure you that the monies we spend in Greece on our island hopping trip will be at a much lower per diem than any cruise, including our transportation costs.  Same for our time in Morocco if we decide to combine the trip.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SRF said:

What I said

I stated at least one venue I knew of, that someone who would not eat local food would not go, and would have missed a very interesting evening.

Your tone seemed to imply that people who couldn't/wouldn't eat local foods wouldn't have a good experience in another country. And I live my life just fine, and don't need your approval to do so.

51 minutes ago, SRF said:

What I said

And I told the story of the man in SE Asia who wouldn't eat any of the local food.  But he enjoyed the trip nonetheless.

8 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

I was on a trip with someone who was allergic to herbs.

That could be a tough one even on a ship.  Probably better off where things are cooked to order.