100% Non-Smoking on Ships!

twodjs

It was just brought to our attention that in their new brochure, Viking is instituting no smoking on their ships! There is no mention of any limited area outside for smoking. On our January Sky cruise, there was a small area on top of the ship in the snow where smoking was permitted. They certainly will be leading the industry with this policy. We are thrilled to see this! I'm sure some others will not be so happy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

On our January Sky cruise, there was a small area on top of the ship in the snow where smoking was permitted.

There is just something deliciously ironic/oxymoronic about your use of cruise ship in the snow. ❄️❄️

Thanks for the good news about 100% non-smoking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

There is just something deliciously ironic/oxymoronic about your use of cruise ship in the snow. ❄️❄️

Thanks for the good news about 100% non-smoking.

No complaints here, great news.🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

It was just brought to our attention that in their new brochure, Viking is instituting no smoking on their ships! There is no mention of any limited area outside for smoking. On our January Sky cruise, there was a small area on top of the ship in the snow where smoking was permitted. They certainly will be leading the industry with this policy. We are thrilled to see this! I'm sure some others will not be so happy.

Would you kindly take a pic of the wording in the brochure and post it here. Thanks

51 minutes ago, Oville said:

Would you kindly take a pic of the wording in the brochure and post it here. Thanks

The picture of the page of Viking's latest brochure is posted on a Celebrity thread someone recently started asking if there were any non-smoking ships. Post #40 by DrKoob shows the page titled "What Viking is not". Sorry I don't know to copy that page to here. He circled no smoking.The same information shows up on Viking's website when you click on the subject "What Viking is not". 

14 hours ago, twodjs said:

This is interesting since we just got off Viking Jupiter and this was definitely NOT the case.  Although it certainly did not bother us, we did notice that the smoking area on the 8th level starboard side had been increased in size from our previous Viking Sky and Sea cruises.  We had, however, no issue with smoke going anywhere.  It was just a bit sad seeing so many smokers all crammed in together in the area.  From California, we just are not used to that - but there were many Europeans onboard.  I would imagine if Viking were to ban smoking altogether they might lose a decent smoking audience, but probably would gain the ever increasing non-smoking audience.

Interesting to see how long then it will take to remove the smoking areas - and enforce it from those who are used to it, if the brochures now state all No Smoking.

• Like 2

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/viking-difference/viking-difference-wvin.html

I'm not quite sure how one can read that the ship is 100% non-smoking from this bit of advertising. This has been on the Viking website for a number of years now and while there is no smoking except in the small area on deck 8, this is not an announcement that the ship is changing its current policy. The piece also proclaims "No waiting in lines" when any fool can tell you that there is simply no way that lines can be completely prevented at all times.

image.png.8bf5f84759c32dc9b7117f77ed4f58f1.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/why-viking/viking-difference/viking-difference-wvin.html

I'm not quite sure how one can read that the ship is 100% non-smoking from this bit of advertising. This has been on the Viking website for a number of years now and while there is no smoking except in the small area on deck 8, this is not an announcement that the ship is changing its current policy. The piece also proclaims "No waiting in lines" when any fool can tell you that there is simply no way that lines can be completely prevented at all times.

image.png.8bf5f84759c32dc9b7117f77ed4f58f1.png

I would definitely have to agree with you, Peregrina.

Seems there was a recent post or two as well where 2 opposite sides were arguing over "false advertising" on just this subject.  No doubt, someone will try to get their attorney involved and claim damages.  🙂 smile.....

• Like 2

I had posted on the other non-smoking thread on ships to correct someone who said Viking was non-smoking, but she came back saying her brochure said...Then someone else posted the page in the newest brochure and circled the no smoking part of the "What Viking is Not". He stated it was a new policy to go into effect soon. Since I also saw this on Viking's site with no exceptions listed, I believed it to be true, especially when (with the exception of the iffy "no lines" comment), everything else on that page is true. Sorry if I took Viking literally. Why is it in their literature and website?

It is called advertising and advertising is the business of attracting people to a product by creating dreams of things we could be, see or do if only we would use their product. Advertising has never been about fact and has always been about persuasion.

Edited by Peregrina651

Although my wife and I are both nonsmokers, I have no problem with the designated smoking area on Deck 8. However, what tends to happen is that those smokers either don't realize smoking on their balcony is prohibited or choose to ignore that restriction. It is so discouraging to set up to enjoy a meal or a glass of wine on one's balcony only to have cigarette or cigar smoke come wafting in. 

Jack 

1 minute ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Although my wife and I are both nonsmokers, I have no problem with the designated smoking area on Deck 8. However, what tends to happen is that those smokers either don't realize smoking on their balcony is prohibited or choose to ignore that restriction. It is so discouraging to set up to enjoy a meal or a glass of wine on one's balcony only to have cigarette or cigar smoke come wafting in. 

Jack 

Such infractions can be reported. It is a matter of safety for the entire ship.

• Like 1

Sorry to have started this thread. Just talked to my Viking agent who talked to Operations. There is no plan to eliminate the smoking areas on top of any of the Viking Ocean ships. Makes no sence that Viking's own advertising, both in print and on their website, states that no smoking is something that makes their ships different. Their actual policy is no different than 90% of the cruise lines. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Such infractions can be reported. It is a matter of safety for the entire ship.

I agree completely Peregrina651, and on occasion I have been successful in reporting it but generally it is difficult to pinpoint which balcony the smell is coming from. 

As Haworth said, such occurrences are rare but when you take just one cruise a year, and there is an inconsiderate smoker 2-5 cabins up-wind, that's all it takes to restrict using your own balcony for the 7-10 days of that cruise. 

• Like 1

I enjoy an occasional cigar and while cruising, I respect the rules and appreciate that they provide a somewhat, but not always sheltered spot.  Those who choose to smoke and disregard the rules are not only creating a safety issue and disrespecting other cruisers, but are risking the removal of the ability to smoke at all on the ship.  I have found that the smoker's area is generally not occupied by more than 3-4 people at a time and with the port intensive itineraries, time there is generally underway with the breeze dissipating the smoke rapidly. I encourage any smokers reading this that choose to disregard the rules to reconsider their actions or smoking may be banned entirely.  As an aside, as stated previously, there are generally a small number there at any time, but in my several Viking Cruises I get to know most, if not all, of the smokers on the cruise (some of the best conversations and relationships) and the percentage based on 930 passengers has averaged about 3-4% of the passengers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ropomo said:

I enjoy an occasional cigar and while cruising, I respect the rules and appreciate that they provide a somewhat, but not always sheltered spot.  Those who choose to smoke and disregard the rules are not only creating a safety issue and disrespecting other cruisers, but are risking the removal of the ability to smoke at all on the ship.  I have found that the smoker's area is generally not occupied by more than 3-4 people at a time and with the port intensive itineraries, time there is generally underway with the breeze dissipating the smoke rapidly. I encourage any smokers reading this that choose to disregard the rules to reconsider their actions or smoking may be banned entirely.  As an aside, as stated previously, there are generally a small number there at any time, but in my several Viking Cruises I get to know most, if not all, of the smokers on the cruise (some of the best conversations and relationships) and the percentage based on 930 passengers has averaged about 3-4% of the passengers.

Well stated ropomo.  We are non-smokers, but certainly felt that the area on level 8 for smokers was just fine and did not affect anyone on the ship.  We did not encounter smokers on balconies near ours, but can see how that would definitely be a problem.  Also observed and agree with you observations of about 3-4 % of passengers - on all 3 of our Viking Ocean Cruises.

We did encounter smokers on some walking tours who could not wait for the tour to complete, but fortunately they lingered towards the back and didn't affect anyone too much.  Especially in Europe where a high percentage of people smoke.  We noticed that the outdoor cafes in nearly every European country we visited were dominated by smokers - but that has always been their culture.

My concern is that if there is no permissible smoking area, then smokers will be much more inclined to sneak a smoke on their balconies, etc.  I'm happy to report that we've never smelled smoke while enjoying our balconies on 3 previous VO cruises.  (lol hope I didn't just jinx the next one!)

On 6/18/2019 at 7:22 PM, twodjs said:

Good luck with that😀

29 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Good luck with that😀

If you read the rest of this thread, you will see that OP's statement was wrong and Viking has no plans to change its current policy of smoking in the Deck 8 smoking area only.

22 hours ago, deec said:

They would probably just deny it and make me look like an idiot.

Let them deny it. No one can make me look like an idiot, unless I let them. 

Edited by Hanoj
Typo
  • Like 3

Non-smokers.

Would gladly report anyone smoking on their balcony that we could smell. Would follow up to ensure continued compliance.

No problem with the existing top deck section for smokers.  Smokers like to cruise too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...