Vista Repair News - Upcoming Cruises Cancelled

Lee Cruiser

2 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Hate you had to spend so much time on the phone, but glad you got something that worked for you.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Yeah, it is frustrating when you are frustrated on the phone lmbo.

Edited by jbethel11

3 hours ago, ishap said:

Oh, and if you purchased insurance like you should, your airfare will be covered if you do have to cancel...so...again while it would suck, you could be coming out ahead in the long run.

Just curious:  Carnival is reimbursing the full cruise fare, plus the future cruise voucher, as well as reimbursing up to $200 per person for airline tickets.  I know some will be more, but our airline tickets are rarely over $200 for a round trip.  Assuming that the $200 Carnival is giving covers that cost, what else would there be that the insurance would cover?  Insurance will not cover something that is already being reimbursed.  Also, I am wondering if it is purchased through Carnival, will that premium be reimbursed as well?

52 minutes ago, xMandy said:

After a three and a half hour wait on the phone, a very nice lady by the name of Allison got us rescheduled to the July 28th sailing on the Freedom.  We were looking forward to trying out the Vista, but it will have to wait until later.  Thankfully I have a fairly flexible work schedule and I was able to adjust my cruise by a couple of weeks.  I feel bad for those that can't!

We're on the same July 28 Freedom cruise.

• Thanks 1

To update those who are interested:

We re-booked from a Havana Aft- Balcony on the Vista to a Mini-Suite on the Norwegian Bliss leaving out of Seattle bound for Alaska. It was almost exactly the same price, down to about 6 dollars difference.

Granted I had to also buy plane tickets to Seattle, but with Hobby so close Southwest makes that easy and my points totally covered me and my +1.

Sucks to lose a Cruise so close to leaving, but I was prepared for this to happen an had been planning a backup just in case.

We'll take our Future Cruise Credit and try another 7 day on the Vista next summer most likely.

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Just curious:  Carnival is reimbursing the full cruise fare, plus the future cruise voucher, as well as reimbursing up to $200 per person for airline tickets.  I know some will be more, but our airline tickets are rarely over $200 for a round trip.  Assuming that the $200 Carnival is giving covers that cost, what else would there be that the insurance would cover?  Insurance will not cover something that is already being reimbursed.  Also, I am wondering if it is purchased through Carnival, will that premium be reimbursed as well?

If purchased through Carnival I do not think that covers airfare as I believe the Carnival insurance is cruise related only (cruise cost, medical, etc.).  I typically purchase from a third party and it covers total trip.  Since your airfare is less than $200 then you have nothing to worry about.  For me, airfare to FL costs about $400-500 per person...though if I just have to change flights I think its around $200 per person.  I would also think that if you purchased insurance through carnival then they would reimburse the insurance amount as well.

6 minutes ago, Hobiedallas said:

We re-booked from a Havana Aft- Balcony on the Vista to a Mini-Suite on the Norwegian Bliss leaving out of Seattle bound for Alaska. It was almost exactly the same price, down to about 6 dollars difference.

Granted I had to also buy plane tickets to Seattle, but with Hobby so close Southwest makes that easy and my points totally covered me and my +1.

Sucks to lose a Cruise so close to leaving, but I was prepared for this to happen an had been planning a backup just in case.

We'll take our Future Cruise Credit and try another 7 day on the Vista next summer most likely.

IMHO, you did great. Alaska is a great destination. Granted, not sure I would want to cruise the Bliss, but a cruise is a cruise. Enjoy Alaska.

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, you did great. Alaska is a great destination. Granted, not sure I would want to cruise the Bliss, but a cruise is a cruise. Enjoy Alaska.

What are your thoughts on the Bliss? I've heard nothing but good about it, but I'm always interested in getting more information.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ishap said:

If purchased through Carnival I do not think that covers airfare as I believe the Carnival insurance is cruise related only (cruise cost, medical, etc.).  I typically purchase from a third party and it covers total trip.  Since your airfare is less than $200 then you have nothing to worry about.  For me, airfare to FL costs about $400-500 per person...though if I just have to change flights I think its around $200 per person.  I would also think that if you purchased insurance through carnival then they would reimburse the insurance amount as well.

Thanks for the information 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hobiedallas said:

That sounds like a great change.  Alaska always seems so expensive.  To get it for the same cost plus flying on points is awesome.  Have an great trip! 

43 minutes ago, Hobiedallas said:

What are your thoughts on the Bliss? I've heard nothing but good about it, but I'm always interested in getting more information.

I have heard all good about the Bliss as well. You'll have a great time going to a great destination.

2 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The $200 is to cover the change fees. So that you can change your tickets to a different date, or fly someone else. It’s not meant to cover the cost of the tickets. 

We had 3 rooms booked on the Vista for the July 20th sailing. Can someone explain to me how the future cruise credit actually works? I tried to call Carnival and they told me I didn't have a credit so is it confirmed that we have will be able to book another cruise with 100% credit?

We had 10 people going so I don't know if all can get off during the same time so does all 10 people have to be rebooked on the same cruise or is it per person, or per room? The booking was done all on one credit card.

Edited by mattskr

8 hours ago, Hobiedallas said:

So here is my dilemma. At my job I have to pick vacation In October/November for the FOLLOWING year. Meaning I've had my days off and cruise booked for this July since LAST October. We are only allowed 1 person out of 11 off at a time, so its not as simple as just picking another date in August to go cruise.

The dates I'm off in July I'm still off, but if I still want to cruise SOMEWHERE, then I have to scramble to find another boat, and fly to it ( we live near Galveston so no flight required). SO even if I find a cruise the same price, I now have to pay for flight tickets. And as I understand it Carnival will not pay for them as they are not part of the original booking. Is this right?

I'm sorry for this mess for you.

If I were you, I would consider taking my refund and doing something else this year, and then using the 100 percent credit to book a cruise for next year, after you select your vacation dates for next year. 

RC is an option out of Galveston, or, you could see what's available on the Glory or Valor out of NOLA. You could drive to that port. And since I'm guessing the cost of those cruises would be cheaper (maybe) than Vista, you could use some of the extra money to arrive the night before and get a hotel. 

• Like 1

I was on the July 13, and the July 20th sailing as my first B2B and "turning platinum" cruise. I am super bummed, but when considering 1: The alternative of getting stuck out in open ocean with no propulsion if the other one went, and two: the compensation package offered, which I think is more than fair... it is what it is. As someone above said, a ship is a big machine, and sometimes things go wrong unexpectedly. Every time I book a cruise, its a gamble. Of course usually not a problem, but still, a gamble. 

I'm a teacher, so I'm lucky not to have to switch around vacation time, but with everyone on these sailing scrambling for other options, there isn't much in terms of ships/staterooms. I had my heart set on my beloved cove balcony!  Hopefully, I can find at least one 7 day on the freedom that would be nice, and the 4/5 day that the Dream is running isn't at the top of my list. As I type this out, I realize it makes me sound super picky, but I just want something comparable in length out of Galveston, as flying is not an option for my travel partner, and neither is keen on a longer drive to the port (we're coming from San Antonio).

I feel AWFUL for those who were planning to be married on the ship, or at a port, I can't even imagine...

I know I should know better, but my only question is, the FCC is for the total amount paid for the booking, correct? For example, if my total was 2800, my FCC would be 2800, less port fees, taxes, and gratuities (which were prepaid of course.)

5 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

My heart goes out to the people who had their Vista cruises cancelled!  What on earth can you do with non-refundable airfare that puts you in Galveston, TX for the week?   [Not all of us are within reasonable driving distance of any cruise port.]  Rent a car and explore Waco?

LOL. Galveston is a fun place, there is a beach, etc. Houston you can easily play tourist for several days. 

Or, use the up to $200 a person refund Carnival is offering for cancelled airfare. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bases5 said:

It's a pretty new ship to have a major propulsion issue.  I hope it's an one off problem and not a manufacturing issue.

3 weeks sounds like a dry dock repair, That's substantial

Horizon could be next.  I hope not .

It's absolutely concerning for that new of a ship to have that issue. it may or may not have to go to dry dock. Remember, the three cruises before the start are each extended a day, so now you are down to 18 days. Then, presumably, they would want time, after the repair, to "road test" it. Finally, remember, they probably didn't want to cut a cruise in half, so it might be ready to roll 4-5 days before the next scheduled cruise. Probably use the time to clean up other things, etc. 

Of course if it's something exterior to the ship as opposed to in the engine room, then yes, I would think dry dock is a given. Is there anywhere in Texas they can dry dock it, or would it have to go all the way to Freeport? 

24 minutes ago, bobbyandali said:

It's absolutely concerning for that new of a ship to have that issue. it may or may not have to go to dry dock. Remember, the three cruises before the start are each extended a day, so now you are down to 18 days. Then, presumably, they would want time, after the repair, to "road test" it. Finally, remember, they probably didn't want to cut a cruise in half, so it might be ready to roll 4-5 days before the next scheduled cruise. Probably use the time to clean up other things, etc. 

Of course if it's something exterior to the ship as opposed to in the engine room, then yes, I would think dry dock is a given. Is there anywhere in Texas they can dry dock it, or would it have to go all the way to Freeport? 

Didn't Horizon have a propulsion problem last August?

Mechanical issues can happen even when something is new. Today at work I pulled a part out of a piece of medical equipment that should have been good for 4000-5000 hours minimum. It broke at 400. Every new moving, manufactured part can break. Odds are they won't, and they may look great leaving the assembly line, but then a glitch shows up. I'd be disappointed, but I also understand that Carnival likely had no idea that widget #42 was faulty until it actually broke. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

My heart goes out to the people who had their Vista cruises cancelled!  What on earth can you do with non-refundable airfare that puts you in Galveston, TX for the week?   [Not all of us are within reasonable driving distance of any cruise port.]  Rent a car and explore Waco?

So sorry to all of you who will have a "much-less-than-anticipated" vacation week.

Galveston has long been a vacation destination for Texans, and you CAN have a good time there, probably for a price similar to a cruise, if you book a reasonably priced room.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hobiedallas said:

Glad Hobiedallas found another option! I'm sure you'll love your trip on the Bliss! Due to the unusual circumstances, I hope you will come back and let us know how it went!

I think you'll need to switch to the NCL boards for more thoughts on the ship. I doubt a lot of Carnival fans will have the background to share much first hand experience.  However, many people say the big 3 mainstream cruise lines are more similar than different. There can always be small things that delight or mildly irritate, but that can happen from ship to ship on the same line, or even on different sailings of the same ship. Frequent NCL cruisers can help with an understanding of what to expect.  While I have never been on that line myself, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try if all the stars happened to align, which is exactly what has happened for you.

Just plan to have a great cruise and most likely you will indeed have one. :)

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Glad Hobiedallas found another option! I'm sure you'll love your trip on the Bliss! Due to the unusual circumstances, I hope you will come back and let us know how it went!

I think you'll need to switch to the NCL boards for more thoughts on the ship. I doubt a lot of Carnival fans will have the background to share much first hand experience.  However, many people say the big 3 mainstream cruise lines are more similar than different. There can always be small things that delight or mildly irritate, but that can happen from ship to ship on the same line, or even on different sailings of the same ship. Frequent NCL cruisers can help with an understanding of what to expect.  While I have never been on that line myself, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try if all the stars happened to align, which is exactly what has happened for you.

Just plan to have a great cruise and most likely you will indeed have one. 🙂

I've been on Breakaway and have been researching Bliss for a while, so I could assist if necessary.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hobiedallas said:

I sailed the bliss in February.  While she is a beautiful ship with lots to offer not my favorite ship. I did have a great time but think I built my expectations to high. Newest and  largest ship I've been on. Sailed ncl 3 times. Just now coming back to carnival after 2.5 years. I like ncls product . But for the price I paid for the bliss I didn't feel my monies worth. I also have decided I like mid to small ships best.  Alot of people hate the ncl epic. Shes been my favorite ship ever. So to each his own. You will have a great time. The bliss observation lounge is wonderful. She is pristine condition.  Crew were fabulous.  Food was ok but lacked options to me compared to other ships. Special dinning was great. Crab cake in the steakhouse was awesome. Enjoy!

Edited by Ahays00
Spelling error