Recent NCL Spirit Suite Experience Disappointing

Bocadude85

We just got back from a European cruise aboard the Spirit, the cruise itself and the crew onboard the ship were wonderful, however our room was a huge disappointment. We have sailed in mostly suites on our prior cruises so we have come to expect a certain quality when it comes to the suites. Our SF suite stateroom 10508 was is severe disrepair, the enamel coating in the tub was peeling off so anytime you took a bath you had chunks of enamel floating in the water with you, the shower had extreme water damage and was unsightly, the mosaic tiles on the walls were missing and falling out, the speakers in the room were falling  out of the ceiling etc. We didn’t let any of this ruin our vacation but I was extremely disappointed in the room itself. We paid almost 10k for the cruise and to me the room was not worth half of what we paid, NCL should be extremely embarrassed by the lack of quality in this suite. I have attached a few pictures below. 

58D521AA-029B-47B8-8495-BFEA02B7B4F6.jpeg

40512F68-3A72-4799-9080-0A5599EA359F.jpeg

606C1853-F64A-4D64-965A-5AB0B4697E47.jpeg

C14DA86C-427B-4A00-B16E-B603223E2019.jpeg

A3A4E019-6708-42A8-A0EB-A45EED942CAC.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bocadude85 said:

We just got back from a European cruise aboard the Spirit, the cruise itself and the crew onboard the ship were wonderful, however our room was a huge disappointment. We have sailed in mostly suites on our prior cruises so we have come to expect a certain quality when it comes to the suites. Our SF suite stateroom 10508 was is severe disrepair, the enamel coating in the tub was peeling off so anytime you took a bath you had chunks of enamel floating in the water with you, the shower had extreme water damage and was unsightly, the mosaic tiles on the walls were missing and falling out, the speakers in the room were falling  out of the ceiling etc. We didn’t let any of this ruin our vacation but I was extremely disappointed in the room itself. We paid almost 10k for the cruise and to me the room was not worth half of what we paid, NCL should be extremely embarrassed by the lack of quality in this suite. I have attached a few pictures below. 

58D521AA-029B-47B8-8495-BFEA02B7B4F6.jpeg

40512F68-3A72-4799-9080-0A5599EA359F.jpeg

606C1853-F64A-4D64-965A-5AB0B4697E47.jpeg

C14DA86C-427B-4A00-B16E-B603223E2019.jpeg

A3A4E019-6708-42A8-A0EB-A45EED942CAC.jpeg

That is TERRIBLE! I am so surprised! I hope that you spoke with someone (especially someone who would have done something--like the Hotel Director) to bring both the mess and your disappointment to someone's attention. I'm so sorry, that would have been very disappointing to me too.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

That is TERRIBLE! I am so surprised! I hope that you spoke with someone (especially someone who would have done something--like the Hotel Director) to bring both the mess and your disappointment to someone's attention. I'm so sorry, that would have been very disappointing to me too.

I did make my feelings know while onboard, but nothing was done. I also sent an email to the generic NCL customer service address when I got back and never received a response.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

That is disappointing.  The Hotel Director would have been summoned to my suite day one and not have left until we had come to a mutual understanding of an equitable outcome.

I hope, post-cruise, you receive the same.

Me too. Unacceptable in any cabin!

25 minutes ago, teachberry said:

We were in this suite on our March 2018 Canary Island cruise and it was not in this condition. Did you point the problems out to your room steward, butler or concierge?

Yes I did, though in all fairness I’m not sure what they could really do about it. 

11 hours ago, Bocadude85 said:

I did make my feelings know while onboard, but nothing was done. I also sent an email to the generic NCL customer service address when I got back and never received a response.  

Good luck with email.

op, we love Spirit despite being oldest in fleet.  Those things mostly not an easy fix.  I've seen Spirit with some high suite prices in small markets.  Once off ship you have little recourse other than what you are doing here.  We had an OS with zero shower pressure.  Mentioned it to HD at CC m&g and day and half later nothing.  That night was Captain party and he asked how things were going.  I said fine except shower and 45 minutes later it was fixed.  Enamel not an easy fix though. 

On NCL’s website it says that the Spirit was ‘refurbished in 2017’. How is this advanced state of disrepair already possible unless these items were overlooked during the remodel?

I can’t imagine these things weren’t addressed?

I agree, tub isn’t easy fix mid-cruise, but seriously how can they continue to book this cabin on future cruises without these issues being addressed?

I’ve sailed in cabins that have been rough around the edges and normally I can overlook these things as normal wear and tear but in a suite category this is ridiculous.

lastly, I can’t believe they didn’t offer some form of compensation! Very frustrating and eye opening indeed.

Edited by UrbanGirlie

10 hours ago, Bocadude85 said:

Yes I did, though in all fairness I’m not sure what they could really do about it. 

I know it's after the fact, but if this ever happens again, the person you need to meet with is the Hotel Director. They make things happen, not the Concierge, butler, room steward. 

I would keep emailing.  Or find a different email address.  You have pictures.  That's just disgusting.  I would be so upset if I spent that much and my tub looked like that.  I understand it's not an easy fix, but you should have gotten some kind of compensation.  We love the Spirit, but she is old.

I would email the following:  Andy Stuart and Vivian Ewart and also do an indepth, with pictures, post on NCL's community page on Facebook.  Make sure to include in the email, who you spoke to on the ship and the jest of the conversation.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

Yes this is bad.  NCL would not have to sell the room for a few days to make the repairs.  Keeping the suite occupied is more important unfortunately for their bottom line. I am sure the OP is not the first to complain about the conditions which is why it probably fell on deaf ears.  This is called not seeing the forest through the trees.  The Hotel Director knows about this yet takes no action. If the Hotel Director does not know it really demonstrates the poor system they have in place.  There are supposed to be supervisors checking rooms periodically for exactly these kinds of issues.

This reminds me of a thread several years ago where the guy documented the disgusting conditions in his balcony room on Epic. NCL did nothing but once it hit social media is when they offered compensation in agreement he would remove the video from youtube.

Some of this stuff is just lazy maintenance. I once stayed at a Hilton Hotel where all the grout in the shower was covered in black mold.  I just asked to switch rooms which they did.  I thought how lazy the staff and management is because one bottle of Tilex or Clorox could have cleaned the shower.  

BTW, NCL monitors these boards. I am sure the corporate office is already aware.

Note to Hotel Directors:
There is more to the job then meet and greets.  There is more to the job than offering a bottle of cheap wine if someone complains.  Part of your job requires you or your staff to routinely inspect each cabin aboard the vessel for repairs, maintenance issues and cleanliness and take appropriate actions.

Edited by david_sobe

FWIW, I still do it the old fashioned way when I have an issue.  I would write a very professional letter and make prints (with ship name, suite number and sailing date on the back of each one) of the photos.  I would send it certified mail, which requires someone to sign for it at delivery.  I think this tends to get their attention because so few people send actual mail.  Anyway, that is what I would do if you don't hear something through the methods suggested above very soon.

• Like 1