Tracy Arm Ice?

CaKaybee22

My family and I will be cruising on the Star Princess in mid July 2019 with a few hours of scenic cruising in Tracy Arm.  We are excited as we've never been to Tracy Arm but I hear the ice flows can limit how far the cruise ship can go up.  For those who have cruised Tracy Arm so far this year, has the ship been able to enter the  fjord? Get close to the glaciers?  

I am also considering booking the small boat excursion as so many on this board recommend it!  Thank you!

We were there June 6. We got to about 3 or 4 miles from the Glacier. The Carnival Legend was with us...their tour got much closer in the small tour boat. I would recommend the small boat tour, particularly if this is only only glacier experience on your cruise. We also went to the Hubbard Glacier, and got very close...like less than a mile, and Hubbard was very active calving. The tour boat from our ship didn't get as close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

We were there June 6. We got to about 3 or 4 miles from the Glacier. The Carnival Legend was with us...their tour got much closer in the small tour boat. I would recommend the small boat tour, particularly if this is only only glacier experience on your cruise. We also went to the Hubbard Glacier, and got very close...like less than a mile, and Hubbard was very active calving. The tour boat from our ship didn't get as close.

We were there on June 1st, and we got right up next to the glacier.  We were on the Jewel which is a mid-sized ship and had no issues, the glacier was amazing.

Regardless of how close you can get on the cruise ship, if your port hours in Juneau allow you to book the small boat excursion I would encourage you to consider it. It still remain among the best excursions I have done on our Alaska cruises - so much so that we did it twice! So if you can make it work - go for it!

• Like 1

I took the Allen Marine round trip to Tracy Arm from Juneau on June 16th.  Awesome experience.  We got very close to the glacier and were surrounded by harbor seals, eagles, ice sculptures and generally fantastic scenery.  Definitely a trip to remember.