Edge President's Week Feb. 16 - Too Many Kids??

caroak

In general Celebrity doesn't have as many kids as Carnival or Royal Caribbean, but Presidents Day week will have more kids than surrounding weeks, probably about the same as prime spring break time in March.

I avoid cruising Presidents Day week on all cruise lines.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

In general Celebrity doesn't have as many kids as Carnival or Royal Caribbean, but Presidents Day week will have more kids than surrounding weeks, probably about the same as prime spring break time in March.

I avoid cruising Presidents Day week on all cruise lines.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  We were just on the Edge on the May/June Med cruise and loved the ship IV and all.  We only saw a few small children and didn't even notice any teenagers.  I'm sure more into the summer there will be more families traveling. 

It is definitely a vacation week from all over the northeast. I can't confirm from anywhere else. I have adult kids who are all either teachers or married to one, and due to wanting to cruise while on break, we

are flabbergasted at flight prices for that week! Very high prices. Keep that in mind as well...

My husband & I are booked for our first Celebrity cruise in earlier February 2020, so I can't make comment on the number of kids during that week for this line. Sorry.

You really can't predict.

We were on Reflection a couple of years ago during Easter week.  I was afraid of a lot kids being on for that week, like you are.  

So we booked Aqua Class, thinking that at least there wouldn't be many kids right near our cabin.

It turned out there was less than 20 kids total!  

Air fare was also high around the holiday, which may have had something to do with it also.  

3 hours ago, caroak said:

Thinking of this sailing.  The Monday is President's Day and a lot of schools get a break that week.  Can we expect there will be a lot of families with kids onboard?

We travel that week.  There have  been children on board but relatively few.  I would not worry based on past history.  I would stay away from Royal Caribbean and some others.  

Hotel prices that weekend are historically very expensive due to the boat show.  We get slammed on airfare  $$$ from the Northeast.

1 hour ago, keesar said:

We travel that week.  There have  been children on board but relatively few.  I would not worry based on past history.  I would stay away from Royal Caribbean and some others.  

Hotel prices that weekend are historically very expensive due to the boat show.  We get slammed on airfare  $$$ from the Northeast.

Probably  also tough to get res at pre cruise hotels near the  port...

Presidents holiday for many schools is a one day holiday on 17 Feb in 2020. I can’t see how that could be a big family cruising holiday on a Line not known as focused on kids such as RCL and Carnival are. 

Of any holiday, I’d not worry about Presidents’ Day in mid Feb. 

den

25 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Presidents holiday for many schools is a one day holiday on 17 Feb in 2020. I can’t see how that could be a big family cruising holiday on a Line not known as focused on kids such as RCL and Carnival are. 

den

We sailed on RC's Independence of the Seas, over President's Day weekend, this year. I had heard that week was also winter break for the New York (and maybe NJ, too) schools. The last report from the crew was: 500 + kids onboard that sailing.😱 Fortunately, RC ships have LOTS of stuff for them to do! And, I'm not complaining. We picked that ship, since we were sailing with our DS and his family -- so ONE of the 500 could be attributed to us! 😁

Edited by wwcruisers

6 hours ago, Denny01 said:

den

For most schools where we live..it's a one week school holiday.   MLK in Jan is a long weekend off..We avoid all school vacation weeks..too expensive for cruise and air  fares, and hotels,  and crowded at the airports as well..even if there,s good weather.

Teachers and families have no choice but we are past that point.

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Probably  also tough to get res at pre cruise hotels near the  port...

You are correct.  Some  of the hotels we have stayed at in the past were totally booked due to cruises and  the boat show that week.  The hotel manager actually apologized for the cost saying it was due to the huge traffic being generated by the boat show.