RCI Insensitive to Special Needs- their error

OC SeaPA

We just booked Empress on a Cuba reposition cruise in August.  Because of a significant price drop the cabins went fast.  DH suffered heart attack & quad bypass in April, but can now walk with cane limited amounts.  Two cabins were available- by the elevator & all the way aft.  We grabbed the one by the elevator, explaining his mobility issue.  When the confirmation came it was for the aft cabin.  i called about an hour later (right when i discovered the error) but the other cabin had been taken.  All that remained was the same size and location, but because had bunk for 3 passenger they wanted to charge me $200 more.  I was frustrated after having tried corp, customer service, &  my TA to get cabin changed, so i said no.  They offered me a bottle of wine for my inconvenience!  I have calmed down and tried to request a cabin nearer the elevator, as has my TA, but they now say only cabins for 3 available, and we are only 2, and every time we call that person can't authorize the capacity change.

Does anyone here have any way to get special assistance contacts for Royal Caribbean that can help us?  is special needs only for WC?  We have requested WC for embark/disembark, but is special needs only for accessible cabins (all taken for this cruise)? 

Email:  special_needs@rccl.com

I would guess you know that Empress is no longer going to Cuba and that is why the price drop was so drastic and people jumped on the bargain price.

Edited by gadaboutgal

5 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

Email:  special_needs@rccl.com

I would guess you know that Empress is no longer going to Cuba and that is why the price drop was so drastic and people jumped on the bargain price.

thanks.  I'll try that.  We were on the Empress to Cuba in November last year- one of our favorite cruises!  

'mobility issues' are expected to be handled by you via a wheelchair or ECV rental.  special needs cannot  make anyone move /switch cabins.  

they won't open up cabins that Hold three  to  2 pax reservations until much closer to sail date, if at all.  all you can do is get on a wait list if they even have one.  

There are always cabins on each ship that are held back from the general public reservations.  Their locations are different ship to ship.  Special Needs may be able to help with a search for a better located cabin on your ship.

Ask to talk to a supervisor. I had that issue on an Anthem cruise this coming September. I needed an accessible cabin for two, but the only ones available were for three. The supervisor took care of it within five minutes.

I find RCCI to be very sensitive to the disabled.  However, it is always important that the disabled must be able to help themselves, or be willing to compromise.  For example, the room is for 3 people, and ships are about revenue.  So you are asking them to give up revenue for you can get what you want.  It doesn't work that way.  You do have solutions.  For example, it appears an scooter would be helpful.  Regardless of where the cabin is, he is going to need to walk.  What are your plans for the rest of the ship?  If a scooter is the in your budget, what about a transport chair so you can push?   We travel around the world using a scooter, and we sometimes need to adapt.  We don't expect others to give us things, or change things.  We ask for things, if available, and if we get it great, if not adapt. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I find RCCI to be very sensitive to the disabled.  However, it is always important that the disabled must be able to help themselves, or be willing to compromise.  For example, the room is for 3 people, and ships are about revenue.  So you are asking them to give up revenue for you can get what you want.  It doesn't work that way.  You do have solutions.  For example, it appears an scooter would be helpful.  Regardless of where the cabin is, he is going to need to walk.  What are your plans for the rest of the ship?  If a scooter is the in your budget, what about a transport chair so you can push?   We travel around the world using a scooter, and we sometimes need to adapt.  We don't expect others to give us things, or change things.  We ask for things, if available, and if we get it great, if not adapt. 

Hmmmm I don’t think I’ve ever seen a room that held more than 2 priced for more than 2 if there weren’t more.   I’ve banged my head more times than I can remember until I learned to separate the beds so I got out where there was more head room.  That actually made more foot room too.  1 Celebrity, 1 RCL ;  I’m not sure if my handicap RCL was more than 2 I think there was a sofa bed and a Pullman but they were flush if that’s what they were.

as for rooms in midship selling quickly that’s for stability and distance.  I’ve only had 1 time when the cruiseline asked a passenger to move and I was back to back so they were asked to move one cabin over and did.  I think we were asked once too, and did because it was close and it made no sense not to.