Two rooms or a two bedroom suite

Natashac85

Hello all! I've cruised before but haven't run into this dilemma yet. My sister (30), me (34) and my father (60) will be taking a cruise to Alaska sometime in the summer of 2020. We're leaving from San Fransisco California so we will probably be taking Princess. I've cruised with them to Hawaii and loved it. 

The issue is this: My sister and I are taking our father, and we aren't comfortable sharing a bedroom or one room all of us. Would it be less expensive to get a two bedroom suite, or two cabins? We could also do a one bedroom suite if there's two double beds in the bedroom and a pull out couch, but ideally we would all have beds and our dad would be separate from us. Are their pros and cons to the suites? I know some come with extra amenities and perks, which is always nice. 

Any advice would be more than welcome! 

Two cabins..I think would be the best comfort wise. I would also be surprised if you can find two double beds most of the time it will be two twins. Price out the variables and choose what's best for the three of you.

The problem with a single in one cabin is that even if there is only 1 in the room, you pay for a double.....(note that all prices are per person BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPANCY)...

I would prefer 2 cabins. Price it out both ways, and take the less expensive option!

3 hours ago, Natashac85 said:

The issue is this: My sister and I are taking our father, and we aren't comfortable sharing a bedroom or one room all of us. Would it be less expensive to get a two bedroom suite, or two cabins? We could also do a one bedroom suite if there's two double beds in the bedroom and a pull out couch, but ideally we would all have beds and our dad would be separate from us. Are their pros and cons to the suites? I know some come with extra amenities and perks, which is always nice. 

Of the Princess ships sailing to Alaska in 2020, the Grand, Emerald, Ruby, Star, and the Golden (sailing 14-day from Los Angeles) have two-bedroom/two-bathroom Family Suites. Coral, Royal, and Pacific Princess do not. As seen in the attached schematic, Family Suites have two doors to the hallway; the side with the cruise-king or convertible bed has a bathroom with tub, and the side with two twins has only a shower (for better or worse!). The balcony of the FS is very large and well-furnished, and you get a large living room to share. Remember on Princess you have to have at least a Mini-Suite to get a sofa even to sit on, and Princess is right now removing barrel-chairs from all rooms less than a MS -- balconies and OV's anyway, IDK of insides ever had them. Unless that trend is rethought-out by summer 2020, if you want any lounging space in your own cabin you'll want to be looking at mini-suite or suite... or looking at Holland America!

301833609_FamilySuite.JPG.94fd7cc482bb270a01bbe4c86310dd54.JPG

I tried to dummy book on several of the family-suite ships, and Family Suite did not come up as a bookable option, which means (1) no price comparisons, (2) possibly you MUST book a FS over the phone, or (3) they may be all booked (!) as there appear to be only 2 on a ship. There are only two (farthest forward on the Dolphin or mini-Suite Deck) on the Golden at least.

Therefore I can't tell you if two balconies/two mini-suites are more or less than the family suite. You'll have to call or have your TA call. If you're booking for yourself, have them assign you a PVP (personal vacation planner) right off! Then you will be dealing with the same person each time.

I have two mini-suites booked on the Golden in June 2020, for five people. That was cheaper than three ocean-views. I think I ruled out the Family Suite because of particular idiosyncrasies of my situation, at least I don't remember calling for a price. I chose two mid-ship MS's instead.

Good luck in your planning!

ETA: the schematic is used on cruisedeckplans.com for all of the ships that have FS's, but the layout could be different on individual ships.

Edited by crystalspin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have stayed in the two bedroom, two bath family suite.  You have to book directly with Princess or thru a travel agent who has to call princess.  There are only two per ship; so they go fast.  The only negative I have about the suite is; the balcony is not usable once you leave port.  The cabin is located all the way up front and there is nothing to block the wind and cold.  Our cabin steward had to tie the furniture down because furniture would get tossed around by the wind.  The only time you could sit or stand was in port.  Everything else about the suite is excellent.  Let me know if you have any questions.

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The only time you could sit or stand was in port.  Everything else about the suite is excellent.  Let me know if you have any questions.

I wondered if there was a door between the queen-bed room and the living area? that would be the pull-out bed sleeping area for the fifth person...

What was the price like? (How much more than two mini-suites?) if you remember.

There was no door from main bedroom and living room. There was a couch that could pull out for sleeping.  Basically if you can visualize this is a mini suite and inside room together. The 2nd bedroom had an door from the hall and also a door into the living room. The master bedroom had a door from the hall.  There were two bathrooms and 2nd bedroom had two twin beds. I believe the cost was around $7500 which was two adults and two kids.  The layout above in post#4 is a good description.  The balcony was huge and great views; unfortunately not usable unless you like to stand out there with strong winds

Edited by AF-1
added txt

Next time I will call! That would have been fun. Could always bring magnetic hooks and a curtain... as we will be sailing from home port.

Now that I have a working relationship with my PVP, I would be comfortable calling. At least then I would have all the data.

Edited by crystalspin