New Mexico itinerary- has any been to these ports??

GroomsportGirl

1 hour ago, RJB said:

State Dept. has travel warnings for most of Mexico.  Why take the chance.  Other places that are much safer to travel to. 

15 years ago my ex and I were dividing up properties due to a divorce. He kept the Cabo properties and I kept Aspen. 😉   

I see you are in Boca...lived in Jupiter for many years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJB said:

State Dept. has travel warnings for most of Mexico.  Why take the chance.  Other places that are much safer to travel to. 

There are travel warnings and then there are travel warnings.  Not every one should keep one from visiting certain places.  I don't know the Mexican states but here's the state department site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

15 years ago my ex and I were dividing up properties due to a divorce. He kept the Cabo properties and I kept Aspen. 😉   

I see you are in Boca...lived in Jupiter for many years.

1 hour ago, clo said:

There are travel warnings and then there are travel warnings.  Not every one should keep one from visiting certain places.  I don't know the Mexican states but here's the state department site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

I think you got the better of the deal.    Been in Boca a long time.  Love it here.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Two years ago, Jan 6 2017, I had just spent a week at the beautiful Le Blanc resort in Cancun over New Years. I was leaving the resort to head to the Cancun airport in order to get to a cruise in Fort Lauderdale. With me in the shuttle was a person who works in Washington DC, and his phone was lighting up. He told me there was a possible shooting and airport closure in FLL airport. We got to the Cancun airport where no one knew anything about it.... yet. Looks like this "official" I was travelling with was one of the first to know.

Fast forward this long story... I got one of the last four tickets available on AA to Miami. MIA was an absolute cluster! FLL was closed all day and into the next day Jan 7. We arrived at the Hilton on the Beach in FLL at 10:30pm and were watching cruise ships pull out at that late hour, obviously waiting for as many cruisers as they could from late/rerouted flights. The next day we boarded Harmony, which also left with 800 passengers still without flights into MIA or FLL.

Why did all this happen? An American shot 3 dead within the airport. Maybe I missed being shot dead by about 3 hours myself. Perhaps I shouldn't be traveling into the USA anymore because every American who walks by me is packing heat. 

"Why take the chance"?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Two years ago, Jan 6 2017, I had just spent a week at the beautiful Le Blanc resort in Cancun over New Years. I was leaving the resort to head to the Cancun airport in order to get to a cruise in Fort Lauderdale. With me in the shuttle was a person who works in Washington DC, and his phone was lighting up. He told me there was a possible shooting and airport closure in FLL airport. We got to the Cancun airport where no one knew anything about it.... yet. Looks like this "official" I was travelling with was one of the first to know.

Fast forward this long story... I got one of the last four tickets available on AA to Miami. MIA was an absolute cluster! FLL was closed all day and into the next day Jan 7. We arrived at the Hilton on the Beach in FLL at 10:30pm and were watching cruise ships pull out at that late hour, obviously waiting for as many cruisers as they could from late/rerouted flights. The next day we boarded Harmony, which also left with 800 passengers still without flights into MIA or FLL.

Why did all this happen? An American shot 3 dead within the airport. Maybe I missed being shot dead by about 3 hours myself. Perhaps I shouldn't be traveling into the USA anymore because every American who walks by me is packing heat. 

"Why take the chance"?

You are right.  Should not take the chance.  Stay Home.   Better for us.  Go to Cancun where drug gangs are dropping bodies in the streets and on the beach.  They would love to have you.  

• Like 2

Just now, RJB said:

You are right.  Should not take the chance.  Stay Home.   Better for us.  Go to Cancun where drug gangs are dropping bodies in the streets and on the beach.  They would love to have you.  

Sigh... Moral of my story is that guns/murders/accidents happen everywhere.... including at home.

Bottom line the ports of call being talked about are visited by thousands of cruisers every single day without incident.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Sigh... Moral of my story is that guns/murders/accidents happen everywhere.... including at home.

Bottom line the ports of call being talked about are visited by thousands of cruisers every single day without incident.

Cancun  and the other ports know they do not want to rock the boat and scare the tourist dollars by reports of violence drug activity, hotel employees robbing and raping guests,  and of course  not bringing up the Mayor's heading a local cartel.    That would be counter productive  and sales of booze, hotels,drugs  would suffer.

Solution..... no body say anything   no reports, no press...  no problem.....   Keep the prey arriving fat dumb and happy.      Hey, no bad news is great news !!!

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

"Why take the chance"?

My brother from a different mother.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Cancun  and the other ports know they do not want to rock the boat and scare the tourist dollars by reports of violence drug activity, hotel employees robbing and raping guests,  and of course  not bringing up the Mayor's heading a local cartel.    That would be counter productive  and sales of booze, hotels,drugs  would suffer.

Solution..... no body say anything   no reports, no press...  no problem.....   Keep the prey arriving fat dumb and happy.      Hey, no bad news is great news !!!

+1   very well said

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RJB said:

Exactly. Disney has a great cruise out of San Diego that I have taken my 8 yr old Grandson on twice. It stops in Ensenada and we stay on the ship that day.  Last time my 2 daughters came too.  They chose to stay on board and have a spa day.  Why risk it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Exactly. Disney has a great cruise out of San Diego that I have taken my 8 yr old Grandson on twice. It stops in Ensenada and we stay on the ship that day.  Last time my 2 daughters came too.  They chose to stay on board and have a spa day.  Why risk it?

No upside to risk it.  Stay on the ship and have a great time there.  We have booked a Nov. 15th cruise to the Carib. with the first stop in the DR. and we plan to use that  day as a sea day with spa and other things.  Need to do all we can do to stay safe.  Have to be smart as to what we do and where we go.   You seem to fit that picture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJB said:

with the first stop in the DR

We're bolder than many but I think, right now, I'd draw the line at the DR.  At least until/unless they find some answers.

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

I'll just cancel my booked cruises and stay home, send someone out to shop for me and hire a bodyguard to go to the mailbox.

At least I'll be safe!

Oh, she-god, yes.  I'll take my well-researched chances.

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I'm so sorry to see comments like this about Ensenada.

Back in the mid -50s my family would drive down to Ensenada twice a year for two week vacations.  We stayed just outside of town at a resort called Papagayo, which I think still exists.  (At least it did when I checked a couple of years ago.)  There were motel kinds of accommodations as well as private cottages, right on the beach.

Our dog loved swimming in the ocean, and we liked swimming in the pool.  Locals would come buy selling fresh-caught lobsters.

It was wonderful then ... And more recently my sister frequently used to go down to Rosarita Beach (south of TJ, north of Ensenada) ... I don't know if she would do so now.

Funny story.  We were in Ensenada once upon a time when friends of ours were going to be staying at a hotel/motel (I'm not sure which) in Ensenada itself.  My father asked the desk clerk if there were any Freibergs here (because we didn't know if they had arrived yet).

"Yes, of course."

"Er, what's a Freiberg?"

Mura

13 minutes ago, Mura said:

I'm so sorry to see comments like this about Ensenada.

Back in the mid -50s my family would drive down to Ensenada twice a year for two week vacations.  We stayed just outside of town at a resort called Papagayo, which I think still exists.  (At least it did when I checked a couple of years ago.)  There were motel kinds of accommodations as well as private cottages, right on the beach.

Our dog loved swimming in the ocean, and we liked swimming in the pool.  Locals would come buy selling fresh-caught lobsters.

It was wonderful then ... And more recently my sister frequently used to go down to Rosarita Beach (south of TJ, north of Ensenada) ... I don't know if she would do so now.

Funny story.  We were in Ensenada once upon a time when friends of ours were going to be staying at a hotel/motel (I'm not sure which) in Ensenada itself.  My father asked the desk clerk if there were any Freibergs here (because we didn't know if they had arrived yet).

"Yes, of course."

"Er, what's a Freiberg?"

Mura

Mura, I'd like to see people make informed decisions.  We used to have an apt in Rio and people say "oh, it's so dangerous."  That danger is up in the favelas, where one can't stumble.  It's up in the hills.   Thanks for speaking up.  Cath.

These are the countries that have Level 2 Advisories (same a Mexico) listed by the State Department as of June 2, 2019. Compilation from ThePointsGuy at https://thepointsguy.com/news/us-travel-advisories/, but the basic data can be accessed at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/ .

Specific areas in each country may have different Advisory levels, but these levels are overall.

Level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution):
Algeria
Antarctica
The Bahamas
Bangladesh
Belize
Brazil
Burma (Myanmar)
Cameroon
China
Colombia
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
Eritrea
Ethiopia
France
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Jamaica
Kenya
Kosovo
Maldives
Mexico
Morocco
Nepal
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Tanzania
Trinidad & Tobago
Tunisia
Turks and Caicos Islands
Uganda
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Zimbabwe

Edited by 1985rz1

Just now, 1985rz1 said:

These are the countries that have Level 2 Advisories (same a Mexico) listed by the State Department as of June 2, 2019 Compilation from ThePointsGuy at https://thepointsguy.com/news/us-travel-advisories/, but the basic data can be accessed at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/ .

Level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution):
Algeria
Antarctica
The Bahamas
Bangladesh
Belize
Brazil
Burma (Myanmar)
Cameroon
China
Colombia
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
Eritrea
Ethiopia
France
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Jamaica
Kenya
Kosovo
Maldives
Mexico
Morocco
Nepal
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Spain
Tanzania
Trinidad & Tobago
Tunisia
Turks and Caicos Islands
Uganda
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Zimbabwe

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share this.  (And I watch The Points Guy.)  I think a lot of people see any state dept. warning as being bigger than it is. So again thanks.

10 hours ago, Mura said:

You always have the best stories, Mura. I love reading about your adventures and the humor you add to it. 20 years ago, I built an oceanfront home in Cabo. It was safer then. But, $20,000 of my Viking appliances were stolen, my very soft sheets, hubcap, my guests shoes from patio LOL!,  Montezuma Revenge from my County Club and 8 years ago my daughter was married at Esperanza Resort and my Amex card was hacked. 

At least nobody was mugged or killed.  Hard pass on going there now, especially with my beautiful, very blonde Grandson.

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

You always have the best stories, Mura. I love reading about your adventures and the humor you add to it. 20 years ago, I built an oceanfront home in Cabo. It was safer then. But, $20,000 of my Viking appliances were stolen, my very soft sheets, hubcap, my guests shoes from patio LOL!,  Montezuma Revenge from my County Club and 8 years ago my daughter was married at Esperanza Resort and my Amex card was hacked. 

At least nobody was mugged or killed.  Hard pass on going there now, especially with my beautiful, very blonde Grandson.

25 years ago we would go to Acapulco.  One of the best vacation spots in the world.  Great hotels, great weather.  Just a wonderful place for us and the rich and famous.  Today no one goes there. I read a little while ago that the whole local police force was arrested for drug and gang activity.  As is with many other Mexican cities and towns.  Stay away and if there stay on the ship.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RJB said:

25 years ago we would go to Acapulco.  One of the best vacation spots in the world.  Great hotels, great weather.  Just a wonderful place for us and the rich and famous.  Today no one goes there. I read a little while ago that the whole local police force was arrested for drug and gang activity.  As is with many other Mexican cities and towns.  Stay away and if there stay on the ship.  

Wow!  About 25 years ago some friends of our rented a villa there to celebrate one of his milestone birthdays.  IIRC there were eight or ten of us and I doubt any of us gave us thought to it not being safe.  What a change.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Wow!  About 25 years ago some friends of our rented a villa there to celebrate one of his milestone birthdays.  IIRC there were eight or ten of us and I doubt any of us gave us thought to it not being safe.  What a change.

WE were there 4 or 5 times over a eight year period and never gave safety a second thought even thou there were a bunch of guards along the beachfront.  Too bad we can not go back.  

It's sad reading about these wonderful places that now seem so dangerous.

TrulyBlonde, was your place unoccupied at the time of the theft?  Surely it takes a lot of time to steal $20K of appliances!  How terrible for you ... We were in Cabo on our first Oceania cruise (I think that was in 2004) and took a ship's tour that was most enjoyable.  Lots of our fellow passengers were just walking around the downtown area ... I guess they wouldn't be doing that today.

Mura

15 hours ago, clo said:

We're bolder than many but I think, right now, I'd draw the line at the DR.  At least until/unless they find some answers.

There are bold people  and there are older people.   

There are no bold older people

Darwin sees to it