New Mexico itinerary- has any been to these ports??

GroomsportGirl

2 hours ago, Mura said:

It's sad reading about these wonderful places that now seem so dangerous.

TrulyBlonde, was your place unoccupied at the time of the theft?  Surely it takes a lot of time to steal $20K of appliances!  How terrible for you ... We were in Cabo on our first Oceania cruise (I think that was in 2004) and took a ship's tour that was most enjoyable.  Lots of our fellow passengers were just walking around the downtown area ... I guess they wouldn't be doing that today.

Mura

No it was done during construction in a gated community. They were not installed yet. I have not been back in 8 years but it is rated very dangerous now. 

The scary part is when oceanfront, you do not have much protection. I guess somebody really needed that very large pair of shoes that my guest left by the pool. We did have a good chuckle at the time.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

25 years ago we would go to Acapulco.  One of the best vacation spots in the world.  Great hotels, great weather.  Just a wonderful place for us and the rich and famous.  Today no one goes there. I read a little while ago that the whole local police force was arrested for drug and gang activity.  As is with many other Mexican cities and towns.  Stay away and if there stay on the ship.  

You also need to be aware of kidnapping. They can figure out quickly who has the $$$$

• Like 1

I guess appliances that haven't been installed yet are much easier to grab!

As to your friend's XXL shoes, there's a story in NY -- this probably has happened more than once -- about the dog owner who carries a plastic bag to pick up the pet's , er, "droppings".  Someone ran by and grabbed the bag ... surprise!!

Mura

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2019 at 3:11 PM, TrulyBlonde said:

You also need to be aware of kidnapping. They can figure out quickly who has the $$$$

Would be tough to be kidnapped if we stay on the ship.  Which is not too hard to do since we love the ships.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

And here I was hoping that Oceania now cruises to New Mexico 😁

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Great state.  Would love to go there. 

27 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Yes   sailing up the Pecos.....  Carlsbad caverns and the Guadalupe  National parks... would be wonderful shore ex...... perfect weather 100% of the year in the cave.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes   sailing up the Pecos.....  Carlsbad caverns and the Guadalupe  National parks... would be wonderful shore ex...... perfect weather 100% of the year in the cave.

Anything better than Old Mexico.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Are they randomly murdering tourists or rival drug gangs?

Both.... its an equal opportunity country.   Even the corrupt police get into the act..    

Not long ago  I had 2 close friends in Ensenada murdered on vacation....Puerto Varata ... a whole tour bus  got kidnapped.   Its non stop fun.. every day...   you never know what your going to get or from whom.

I have always felt safe in Cabo! We go twice a year, our daughter and grandson live there at least 6 months a year! We are going for 2 weeks later this month! We have never had issues, guess if you go to the bars downtown and then stumble around on the streets because you are intoxicated then you might have a problem, like in any town late at night. Our daughter has an Airbnb she has great reviews, her guests seem to love it there! We stay at beautiful resorts on the beach with wonderful ocean breezes 

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Are they randomly murdering tourists or rival drug gangs?

Exactly.  I know in Rio the crime rate is high because the "rival drug gangs" are killing each other.

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, I saw that on Fox News this morning. Scary...Happy 4th and enjoy the Parade 😉

You don't have to be scared if you do not go there.   Happy 4th to you and everyone on CC.  Hope to enjoy the parade also.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

unlike going to Vegas  where a random shooter  killing innocent people 🙄

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/20-deadliest-mass-shootings-in-u-s-history-fast-facts/index.html

the only difference is this was one crazy person and in Mexico it is almost every day by organized gangs and drug dealers.   Stay away. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't paint Mexico with such  broad a brush as many posters have here. 

Yes, there are areas that are not safe and the State Department lists them as level 4 Advisories (Do Not Go) such as Colima state, Guerrero state, Michoacán state, Sinaloa state, and Tamaulipas state. 

Then there are areas that are level 3 Advisories (Reconsider Travel) which include areas such as Chihuahua state, Coahuila state, Durango state, Estado de Mexico state, etc.

But there are many areas that are categorized as level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution)  which include popular areas such as Baja California state, Baja California Sur state,  Guanajuato state, Hidalgo state, Mexico City, Oaxaca state, Quintana Roo state, Yucatan state, plus several others.

To put Level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution) into perspective, this is also the level assigned to China, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Russia, South Africa, Spain, and the United Kingdom, to name a few.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I wouldn't paint Mexico with such  broad a brush as many posters have here. 

Yes, there are areas that are not safe and the State Department lists them as level 4 Advisories (Do Not Go) such as Colima state, Guerrero state, Michoacán state, Sinaloa state, and Tamaulipas state. 

Then there are areas that are level 3 Advisories (Reconsider Travel) which include areas such as Chihuahua state, Coahuila state, Durango state, Estado de Mexico state, etc.

But there are many areas that are categorized as level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution)  which include popular areas such as Baja California state, Baja California Sur state,  Guanajuato state, Hidalgo state, Mexico City, Oaxaca state, Quintana Roo state, Yucatan state, plus several others.

To put Level 2 Advisories (Exercise Increased Caution) into perspective, this is also the level assigned to China, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Russia, South Africa, Spain, and the United Kingdom, to name a few.

Well said

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2