New Mexico itinerary- has any been to these ports??

GroomsportGirl

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

I wouldn't paint Mexico with such  broad a brush as many posters have here. 

I know it's each person's comfort level but, dang, I can't imagine only going to the super safe places.  Can you see the whole world that way?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

I wouldn't paint Mexico with such  broad a brush as many posters have here. 

Agreed.

There are places in the U.S. that are statiscally more dangerous than many of the tourist locales in Mexico.

Mexico is a large country. 

Ignorance abounds in these sorts of threads. 

No need to name names.

• Like 3

Considering the number of shootings we have here in the U.S. perhaps we should be more careful in our judgments.

I'm not saying many of these places are completely safe.  But we're not longer completely safe here at home.

Mura

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mura said:

Considering the number of shootings we have here in the U.S. perhaps we should be more careful in our judgments.

I'm not saying many of these places are completely safe.  But we're not longer completely safe here at home.

Mura

Mura, I think that's an excellent perspective.  But then I think about people who visit, let's say, NYC or SF and totally stay in what they think are the "safe" nabes.  Would they go to Brooklyn?  Or to the Mission District in SF? (And we ate there when it was still a bit dicey, 30 years ago).  To each his own.

There are plenty of safe Brooklyn locals -- I live in one of them and tons of tourists come here for the view from the Promenade.  But there are Brooklyn locals I wouldn't venture into.  When I was a student at Mills -- more than a few years ago -- I wouldn't go to the Mission District even then.  But we spent a lot of time on the weekends in "The City" and never felt less than safe.

As for mass shootings, nowhere is safe from one nut with a gun.  We just have to hope we aren't there when he/she goes into action. 

All I'm saying is that as bad as some areas are "out there", we have more than our own share.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mura said:

There are plenty of safe Brooklyn locals -- I live in one of them and tons of tourists come here for the view from the Promenade.  But there are Brooklyn locals I wouldn't venture into.  When I was a student at Mills -- more than a few years ago -- I wouldn't go to the Mission District even then.  But we spent a lot of time on the weekends in "The City" and never felt less than safe.

As for mass shootings, nowhere is safe from one nut with a gun.  We just have to hope we aren't there when he/she goes into action. 

All I'm saying is that as bad as some areas are "out there", we have more than our own share.

We did a 'house' exchange a few years ago in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and we adored it.  

And, yes, we definitely have "our own share."

14 hours ago, Skai said:

Agreed.

There are places in the U.S. that are statiscally more dangerous than many of the tourist locales in Mexico.

Mexico is a large country. 

Ignorance abounds in these sorts of threads. 

No need to name names.

So does denial.....   much of mexico is rates the same as Syria, Afghanistan,  as of June over 16,000  Hey the record in 2017 was  31,147  murders  Lots of innocent getting hit in crossfires and driveby's

Lots around the tourist places Cozumel, Cancun , Acapulco    Only exceeded by Guatemala and El Salvador. .... then there is Columbia and Brazil .....violence in the region in endemic and has been for decades .  Why would that be attractive and exciting.    Karma wont stop a bullet.

You might think different if you have  had close friends murdered there.......   Fact is poverty  and corruption have driven all segments of the population to  extreme behavior.

25 minutes ago, clo said:

You may want to try fact checking before 'speaking.'

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/22/brazils-murder-rate-finally-fell-and-by-a-lot/

And it's ColOmbia.

I feel so much better.  murder in Brazil is down  so far....the fact that they bragged on it  speaks volumes...   but hey Mexico is up 9%  the fact remains that the  entire region is a place in turmoil with violence and has been for decades.   What is there worth risking your life or a loved ones with a gamble ?      There are places in the US  I wont visit either...    Its a  radical new world and changing for the worse weekly.   Places to go 10 years ago are  now over the top bad... they are not getting better    

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I feel so much better.  murder in Brazil is down  so far....the fact that they bragged on it  speaks volumes...   but hey Mexico is up 9%  the fact remains that the  entire region is a place in turmoil with violence and has been for decades.   What is there worth risking your life or a loved ones with a gamble ?      There are places in the US  I wont visit either...    Its a  radical new world and changing for the worse weekly.   Places to go 10 years ago are  now over the top bad... they are not getting better    

We've spent weeks and months in Rio over the last ten or so years with never a moment of worry.  I'm 72 but not a paranoid worry wart.  YMMV. Go to the 'been there, done that' spots and leave the 'good stuff' for us 🙂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, clo said:

We've spent weeks and months in Rio over the last ten or so years with never a moment of worry.  I'm 72 but not a paranoid worry wart.  YMMV. Go to the 'been there, done that' spots and leave the 'good stuff' for us 🙂

By the good stuff do you mean places where we take our lives in our hands?   Not ready to take the risk for a vacation.  Plenty of safe places still to go to. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

By the good stuff do you mean places where we take our lives in our hands?   Not ready to take the risk for a vacation.  Plenty of safe places still to go to. 

Our good stuff is different than theirs. We travel in a similar way and thank goodness we have the freedom to make our choices. Grateful.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Plenty of safe places still to go to.

Like where?  Terrorism and other violence is everywhere.  Don't forget that when you change how you live then they win.  What's the dividing line?  A level two from the state department won't keep me away.  But YMMV.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Like where?  Terrorism and other violence is everywhere.  Don't forget that when you change how you live then they win.  What's the dividing line?  A level two from the state department won't keep me away.  But YMMV.

The world is always changing and we have to change with it.  Places that were safe not too many years ago are not now.  On the other hand places that were a no go a while ago are OK to go now.  Need to be smart or could wind up in a lot of trouble or worse.  Good luck with your choices.   Probable would not be mine.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Our good stuff is different than theirs. We travel in a similar way and thank goodness we have the freedom to make our choices. Grateful.

+ 1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

much of mexico is rates the same as Syria, Afghanistan. .

Hyperbole.

That would be akin to stating that much of America rates the same as war-torn countries based on the violent crime rates in St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans et al.

Furthermore, what exactly do the violent crime rates in Brazil and Colombia have to do with the price of tea in China?  I thought that we were discussing Mexico, not South America -- SEE: An entirely different continent.located over 1500 miles away from Mexico.  

Specifically in discussing Mexico, I believe that we were discussing cruise ports -- Cozumel, Costa Maya in particular.

Unless you can provide verifiable statistics that Cozumel and Costa Maya have violent crime rates with rates the same as the above mentioned war-torn countries that you listed -- SEE: My first word in this post for more reference

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skai said:

Unless you can provide verifiable statistics

For 2-1/2 years, on a different subject, I've been saying "please provide verifiable and reputable citations to support your claim."  And not once have I gotten such.

PS:  We're cruising from Rio to Buenos Aires hitting maybe five ports in Brazil, two in Uruguay and BA.  It's going to be interesting to see if we have any people who are afraid 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, clo said:

We're cruising from Rio to Buenos Aires hitting maybe five ports in Brazil, two in Uruguay and BA. 

As I am sure you know, pickpockets are plentiful in both cities but then again, this is no different from Paris, Barcelona or Rome (among others)  😊

That said, getting murdered in any of these places does not concern me when I am following common sense rules. Visited them many times before and would/will again.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

As I am sure you know, pickpockets are plentiful in both cities but then again, this is no different from Paris, Barcelona or Rome (among others)  😊

That said, getting murdered in any of these places does not concern me when I am following common sense rules. Visited them many times before and would/will again.

I would always chuckle when people would ask if we weren't afraid in Rio.  Whereas we both and simultaneously got pickpocketed on a quiet residential street in Barcelona, which I later found out was/is considered the pickpocket capital of the world.

And I've likely mentioned my motto for close to 50 years: Don't be where you shouldn't be when you shouldn't be there.  Some years ago we were walking on a street in Istanbul when we saw a crowd gathered ahead of us.  Easy peasy. 180 degree turn 🙂

Edited by clo

40 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That said, getting murdered in any of these places does not concern me when I am following common sense rules. 

Following common sense rules, not flaunting your wealth, following the local advice as to where not to go at what hours, always be aware of your surroundings.  Oh, yes, and I also use this strategy in foreign countries, too 😉.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skai said:

Hyperbole.

That would be akin to stating that much of America rates the same as war-torn countries based on the violent crime rates in St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, New Orleans et al.

Hyperbole...its that in the mid east  Hyperbole near Athens?

And your right about St Louis Baltimore Detroit and New Orleans....  you can add Chicago ... down town LA and San Fran to the list and maybe Compton. Much better places to go... than have to play games to keep your shoes clean and  avoid  urban strife crime, bums gangs and places where they gather.  or are tolerated

Mt Rainer,  North Cascades, Redwoods,  Great Basin,  Zion,  Canyon lands,  Glacier, Gettysburg,  Ashville,   Huntsville, Bar Harbor   Portland me   Grand Canyon   Lake Powell,    Sequoia.   Mammoth Lakes.  Olympic np.  Big Sur,     Sonoma coast   Napa wine country   Sonoma Wine Country   Paso Robles     Monterey    Oregon coast Ouray colo   ..Sonora az    Black Hills,  ..... Carlsbad  Caverns     Mammoth Cave  Texas hill country...   

Time to  see the forest for the trees..... if you want to play with the bad guys, cool   I have options. I am not  going to   get into that game   Have too many alternatives to play roulette with my welfare....why

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Hyperbole...its that in the mid east  Hyperbole near Athens?

And your right about St Louis Baltimore Detroit and New Orleans....  you can add Chicago ... down town LA and San Fran to the list and maybe Compton. Much better places to go... than have to play games to keep your shoes clean and  avoid  urban strife crime, bums gangs and places where they gather.  or are tolerated

Mt Rainer,  North Cascades, Redwoods,  Great Basin,  Zion,  Canyon lands,  Glacier, Gettysburg,  Ashville,   Huntsville, Bar Harbor   Portland me   Grand Canyon   Lake Powell,    Sequoia.   Mammoth Lakes.  Olympic np.  Big Sur,     Sonoma coast   Napa wine country   Sonoma Wine Country   Paso Robles     Monterey    Oregon coast Ouray colo   ..Sonora az    Black Hills,  ..... Carlsbad  Caverns     Mammoth Cave  Texas hill country...   

Time to  see the forest for the trees..... if you want to play with the bad guys, cool   I have options. I am not  going to   get into that game   Have too many alternatives to play roulette with my welfare....why

First of all, DON"T SAY SAN FRAN.  They'll so look down on you if you say that. Shudder.

And you've given a great list of places to visit NOT on a cruise.  Are you on the wrong site?  LO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, clo said:

First of all, DON"T SAY SAN FRAN.  They'll so look down on you if you say that. Shudder.

And you've given a great list of places to visit NOT on a cruise.  Are you on the wrong site?  LO

Is SAN FRAN the new name for a once great city?    Was wonderful back in the day, but not so much now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Was wonderful back in the day, but not so much now.  

We lived there for over 20 years and it's still one of my favorite places in the world.  And then there's the food 🙂  Mmmmmm.

PS:  There used to be a restaurant named "Don't Call It Frisco" and "San Fran" is equally loathed 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Is SAN FRAN the new name for a once great city?    Was wonderful back in the day, but not so much now.  

That’s true. It’s obvious and evident that no tourist, foreign or domestic, wants to visit “SAN FRAN” any more - they all flock to Boca now 😁

Edited by Paulchili
  • Haha 1