Duct tape

aecs422

I carry duct tape every single place I go -- I have about 20 feet of it wrapped around a business card tucked in my wallet, on the advice of someone I met at a Science show I took my kids to about surviving common household accidents. I've never used it to survive accidents, but damned if that stuff isn't a life-saver in other ways. I've used it to emergency re-hem a wedding dress, to tape a friend's car door together after an accident so she could limp home, to repair a kids shoe that broke in the airport, to tape my husband's wallet back together, to put a shade structure back together in the wind, and weirdly, it is the BEST thing for random blisters from shoes that I've ever tried. 

I have no opinion on whether you should use it for hooks (maybe consider command strips...?) But should you have it in your wallet? YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU SHOULD! 🙂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

I carry duct tape every single place I go -- I have about 20 feet of it wrapped around a business card tucked in my wallet, on the advice of someone I met at a Science show I took my kids to about surviving common household accidents. I've never used it to survive accidents, but damned if that stuff isn't a life-saver in other ways. I've used it to emergency re-hem a wedding dress, to tape a friend's car door together after an accident so she could limp home, to repair a kids shoe that broke in the airport, to tape my husband's wallet back together, to put a shade structure back together in the wind, and weirdly, it is the BEST thing for random blisters from shoes that I've ever tried. 

I have no opinion on whether you should use it for hooks (maybe consider command strips...?) But should you have it in your wallet? YES, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOU SHOULD! 🙂

YES!  Absolutely.  I have carried duct tape for decades.  Started when I was backpacking, and it just morphed into something I always have in my bag now wherever I go.  I'm not always on a cruise ship or a hotel where I can ask Maintanence for tape.  I keep a roll of duct tape at my Front Desk - it's amazing how many guests ask for help with something that I can fix with a little tape (a big ones seem to be broken eyeglasses and a fix on a women's dress a few minutes before the wedding)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

YES!  Absolutely.  I have carried duct tape for decades.  Started when I was backpacking, and it just morphed into something I always have in my bag now wherever I go.  I'm not always on a cruise ship or a hotel where I can ask Maintanence for tape.  I keep a roll of duct tape at my Front Desk - it's amazing how many guests ask for help with something that I can fix with a little tape (a big ones seem to be broken eyeglasses and a fix on a women's dress a few minutes before the wedding)

Seconded:  experience has shown that I am far more likely to need duct tape than antacids, anti-biotics or bandaids when traveling - and most of us see those as essentials.  Repairing, luggage, shoes, even my wife’s dress once, has all shown its efficacy.

• Like 2

We never use to carry duct tape until 2015 when Alaska Airlines decided to destroy the zipper on one of our checked soft sided luggage. We found ourselves wandering aimlessly around Vancouver BC in search of duct tape. Found a small roll. Pink. Worked great to close the suit case from the hotel to the ship and from the ship back home. Now we always carry a small roll of duct tape in one of our suit cases on all our vacations.  

Edited by davekathy

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

We never use to carry duct tape until 2015 when Alaska Airlines decided to destroy the zipper on one of our checked soft sided luggage. We found ourselves wandering aimlessly around Vancouver BC in search of duct tape. Found a small roll. Pink. Worked great to close the suit case from the hotel to the ship and from the ship back home. Now we always carry a small roll of duct tape in one of our suit cases on all our vacations.  

...at least you're not using it to hang things on the doors or walls in your stateroom.  😉

• Like 2