Coffee

oxypete

Same info for all ships...

Living Room Bar. Deck 1. Real espresso from a proper espresso machine. Prepared by the bartender. My favorite spot on the ship. 

Room service. 

World Cafe has do it yourself machine. 

Machine in the cabin is a Paulig. 

Edited by Peregrina651

1 hour ago, SrCruizer said:

I agree with Peregrina. A really good latte can be found living room bar. Coffee machine in our room was a Nespresso. 

Interesting. I wonder if depends on which ship you are on?

BTW, MDR coffee at breakfast was TERRIBLE--or at least the  decaf was. I would go to the Deck 1 bar and get a cup and take it with me.

2 hours ago, tubeamps said:

My favorite wake up coffee was using the machine in World Cafe. I always started with a double shot of espresso and top the cup off with cappuccino. Perfect.

The WC machine is my second favorite source for my morning cuppa joe. I'm still a sucker for coffee from those old fashioned type espresso machines and fresh ground beans (neither of which can be found in my house).

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The WC machine is my second favorite source for my morning cuppa joe. I'm still a sucker for coffee from those old fashioned type espresso machines and fresh ground beans (neither of which can be found in my house).

Loved to get a World Cafe cup in the morning - my routine was to start with filling the cup with a double espresso, and then adding coffee from the pot.   I do agree - the regular plain coffee in the restaurants, by itself, was not very good.

Our rooms on both the Sea and Jupiter featured a Nespresso type machine that took Nespresso pods.  We asked our steward for more all the time and used several a day - Similar machine to the one we have at home and it made a great cup.

Espresso Machine in the World Cafe on the Jupiter:

2034511263_IMG_5325UpdatedEspressoMachine.thumb.jpg.ae8e512444538c7e12369363ea422b4e.jpg

Nespresso Pods in the rooms for the Nespresso-type coffee maker.

1866756778_IMG_7594Viking-NespressoCoffeePodsc.thumb.jpg.dbfc4da1077d2df6263dfcc7cfb1c5b0.jpg

Please note that there only appeared to be 2 types of pods for the inroom machine. Caffeinated and decaffeinated. The high test was a darker roast than I like so I ended up not using the nespresso as much as I would have liked. 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:39 PM, CCWineLover said:

Our rooms on both the Sea and Jupiter featured a Nespresso type machine that took Nespresso pods. 

Now I am going to have to pay attention to this. Sea had Paulig machines when we first sailed and after that, I haven't really paid attention. Are Paulig machines Nespresso compatible?

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Please note that there only appeared to be 2 types of pods for the inroom machine. Caffeinated and decaffeinated. The high test was a darker roast than I like so I ended up not using the nespresso as much as I would have liked. 

Hi Clay -  interesting....

I had posted back a month or so ago on VIking Tips about our experience with the Jupiter Nesspresso maker and pods.  We loved it.   In fact, the caffeinated pods were just a #4 (weak) our of 12 but the decaff pods were #10 (strong) so we used to brew a combo of both to make it stronger.    Perhaps your caffeine pods were more than #4 and perhaps they just randomly supply them.

----- from my old post in May ----

They use actual Nespresso Pods (we know also because we have Nespresso makers at home) and the machine operates just like a mini-Nespresso machine.  The pods we got (and replenished daily for us at the request of our room stewards!) were specifically:  1.  Nespresso Vivalto Lungo  (caffeine), which Nespresso rates as a 4 out of 12 in strength   and 2.  Nespresso Ristretto Defcaffeineated - rated as 10 out of 12.    We actually have some of these pods in our variety at home.

For us the caffeinated one at 4 was too "weak" so we would always brew up a combo of caffeiene and decaff.

Our last machine on the Viking Jupiter was a Nespresso Breville.  We liked it so much (for it's slim lines) that when we got home we found it on Amazon and bought it for ourselves.

We often take our Nespresso pods with us when we travel - and yes, there is a "new" (June 30, 2018) policy for TSA on powders, but this is for carryon, so we just pack our coffee in our suitcases.  We even take strong ground up Starbucks coffee in a sealed bag in our suitcases.  You can though bring powerdered coffee in your carryon - just be aware of the restrictions.

-----

7 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Clay -  interesting....

I had posted back a month or so ago on VIking Tips about our experience with the Jupiter Nesspresso maker and pods.  We loved it.   In fact, the caffeinated pods were just a #4 (weak) our of 12 but the decaff pods were #10 (strong) so we used to brew a combo of both to make it stronger.    Perhaps your caffeine pods were more than #4 and perhaps they just randomly supply them.

-----

Maybe I should have asked our room steward what else was available. I’ll try that in October but frankly, I enjoy the Living Room coffee (and the Pistachio roll!) so it won’t be a hardship if I can’t make coffee in the room. 

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

(and the Pistachio roll!)

Pain au chocolat!!

4 hours ago, BruceLovesSailing said:

There’s always room service. The service is quick and they’ll bring pastries. 

Yeah, DH knows that if he lets me call for coffee, he will never get me out of the cabin on time. He won't even bring me a cup.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

The discussion of the Nespresso pods made me dig a little deeper - and I found this page that lists all the pods that are available from the manufacturer. Now we need folks aboard the VO ships to talk to the room stewards and find out which ones are available.

We are actually going to bring some of our own Nespresso pods of the kind we like , on our next cruise.  The maker we had on our recent Jupiter cruise was identical to what we have at home, so that was great!

6 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I never found any drinkable coffee on board the Viking Sun last year. However, we discovered that this was due to the necessity for long life milk. If only there had been fresh milk. We did ask about this and were told there was no option. 

You must be my long lost sister! We think alike on so many topics. Unlike you I am an early riser but I do prefer the MDR to the hustle and bustle of the WC. I think we are very lucky in the UK having fresh milk. So many parts of Europe and the rest of the world use UHT. I can just about suffer it in coffee but couldn’t  drink a glass of it or have it with cereal. We will be on the Sky in March, Miami to Barcelona in a PV cabin. Any tips on surviving the crossing?

Sorry friendlyfifer but I don't have any tips about crossing the Atlantic. I don't suppose I ever will have either - mal de mer or the fear of mal de mer is a significant hurdle for me. 

We're pondering an Alaskan cruise for next year. A lot depends on HMRC though and what they leave for us to spend! 

We completely a Cruise on the Viking Sun On May 25.  The day before we got off the ship the cabin steward was changing out the in cabin coffee maker.  The old one had a water reservoir; the new one did not and was . The coffee pods were also a different size.  We had Decaf and 2 types of "regular" coffee pods.