Internet Options on non Medallion Class cruises

denmarks

I am going on the Grand Princess on Dec 3. I am Elite and know that Platinum and Elite get 250 free minutes. Following are two pricing systems that I have seen. Do Platinum and Elites get a discount on the second one? Does the second pricing change when Medallion Class is implemented? 

MINUTES

PRICE

100 (20) 

$69.00

free for Platinum and above for 7 day cruise and less

200 (40)

$99.00

free for Platinum and above for 8-20 day cruise

400 (60)

$159.00

free for Platinum and above for 21 day cruise and above

600 (80) 

$199.00

Package

Price

PrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

$199.99 ($234.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

Surf your favorite sites from email, news, sports and more.

$139.99 ($169.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Social Package

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.

$99.99 ($119.99)

Edited by denmarks

Forget the free minutes and go online to your booking and purchase the unlimited internet package for the 50% discounted rate of $59.  150 minutes will be exhausted in no time.

Edited by Ereggae
  • Thanks 1

You receive 25% off those bottom three unlimited internet packages in lieu of the free minutes benefit.  If the packages are offered in the Cruise Personalizer ahead of your trip, then they should be priced 25% below what "newbies" have to pay (it works that way for Medallion Net).  Otherwise, you can arrange your internet package of choice upon boarding (but be sure to do it ON Embarkation Day).  There is always a "Day 1" special that will most likely be LESS than the price offered pre-cruise in the Personalizer, and once again you will get 25% off the regular price if you forego your minutes.

You can also use your free minutes and buy more.  However, buying additional minutes is always cheapest on Day 1.  

Another option is you can use your free minutes up and then buy the Unlimited package of choice part way through the voyage.  That price will decline as the trip gets shorter, but you won't be getting 25% off and it will also be priced higher on a per-day basis than buying it for the entire voyage on Day 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My booking shows the prices in the second table. They are indicating a pre-cruise discount over the price I show in parenthesis. There is no indication of Platinum or Elite prices. That table is the only package choices shown. I assume any other discount will be shown after I board. For example the full price for Premium Package is 234.99. Pre-cruise price is 199.99. There is no indication of Platinum or Elite price.

Not sure if I would bother if the Medallion Net has not yet been set up.  The internet is just awful on the Grand.  Even the guy working at the Internet Cafe mentioned I would be wasting my money to sign up for the unlimited streaming option and that was on a California Coastal sailing.  It will only get worse if you are going to Hawaii or Mexico.  Now, if they implement the Medallion Net before your sailing, definitely sign up ... pricing is set at one price and elite members get a slight discount if they wait until they board to purchase the unlimited package.  Alas, I think that is wishful thinking.  

14 hours ago, denmarks said:

My booking shows the prices in the second table. They are indicating a pre-cruise discount over the price I show in parenthesis. There is no indication of Platinum or Elite prices. That table is the only package choices shown. I assume any other discount will be shown after I board. For example the full price for Premium Package is 234.99. Pre-cruise price is 199.99. There is no indication of Platinum or Elite price.

You won't see any explicit price comparison nor indication of a discount in the Cruise Personalizer.  You can call Princess and ask what the price would be if not Platinum/Elite.  If you are not Platinum/Elite, then not much point in inquiring.  Yes, you will see Embarkation day offers once you board (and there are different price points for regular versus Platinum/Elite).

Premium vs Surf vs Social.   Does anyone know the actual technical differences? 

For example, while PCL says you can stream with Premium is there any actual MBPS difference between Premium,  Surf and Social?  I suspect all 3 run at the same MBPS but PCL just restricts sites like Netflix, YouTube, etc. unless you purchase the Premium package.

Based on PCL's description of Surf vs Social it implies access is restricted to selected web addresses.  What's really happening?

PCL Surf description..."Surf your favorite sites from e-mail, news, sports and more, enjoying unlimited access." 

PCL Social description..."Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications."

Edited by tcdcruiser

15 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not sure if I would bother if the Medallion Net has not yet been set up.  The internet is just awful on the Grand.  Even the guy working at the Internet Cafe mentioned I would be wasting my money to sign up for the unlimited streaming option and that was on a California Coastal sailing.  It will only get worse if you are going to Hawaii or Mexico.  Now, if they implement the Medallion Net before your sailing, definitely sign up ... pricing is set at one price and elite members get a slight discount if they wait until they board to purchase the unlimited package.  Alas, I think that is wishful thinking.  

+1

Stay far, far away until she is fitted with Medallion Net. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

Premium vs Surf vs Social.   Does anyone know the actual technical differences? 

For example, while PCL says you can stream with Premium is there any actual MBPS difference between Premium,  Surf and Social?  I suspect all 3 run at the same MBPS but PCL just restricts sites like Netflix, YouTube, etc. unless you purchase the Premium package.

Based on PCL's description of Surf vs Social it implies access is restricted to selected web addresses.  What's really happening?

PCL Surf description..."Surf your favorite sites from e-mail, news, sports and more, enjoying unlimited access." 

PCL Social description..."Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications."

Based on what I have experienced on other CCL Corp cruise lines, the web address will determine if it is allowed for the package you purchased.

On 7/3/2019 at 2:44 AM, caribill said:

Based on what I have experienced on other CCL Corp cruise lines, the web address will determine if it is allowed for the package you purchased.

I would be nice if there were a specific list of which sites are included...

But, the current way is probably way more profitable.

Cruiser is unsure if the site they are interested in will be included, so they

buy the more expensive way 'just to be sure'.

Someone at princess, who configured the routing rules, know the specific list..