Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

46 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Anybody get a feeling that RCL won't be sending any other offers, like dining plans, etc. to those email addresses that scored the deal?

I have never received anything worthwhile from their emails.  

Also, to some this $18 gate is not some deal of the century. In fact I still may cancel it on my little 3 day cruise because even if I just use it as refreshment package I still will not get my money's worth.  

And no, I don't have access to diamond lounge or suite lounge or some high roller lounge.  Just not a drinker. :classic_tongue:

And I didn't bother with it for my 7 day, 8 day and 10 day cruises even though they were all offered.  No way I could be close to breaking even.  

I do begin to think this might be an experiment. NCL has been effectively selling their drink packages at $20/pppd regularly for a couple of years now.  Royal seems to follow NCL's marketing shtick a lot, just usually a step behind.  

Edited by molole

59 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Seems they decided to honor the mistake, np, then it should apply to everyone.

I plan to call tomorrow an demand I get the $18 price and everyone else who paid the full price should as well.

This isn't like an airline mis-pricing some odd route that maybe 10 people might get.

It's cute that they're 'owning' their mistake, but they're just screwing over anyone who missed the deal.  

This poster isn’t serious, is he? His post makes absolutely no sense.   In fact, it’s hysterical!!

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

I totally agree with the "experiment" thing. They already know how many buy at $50. Now, they know how many would buy at $18. It's not rocket science to figure out how many would buy at, say,  $35. Hopefully this number crunching could bring the price down on the package going forward.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

I totally agree with the "experiment" thing. They already know how many buy at $50. Now, they know how many would buy at $18. It's not rocket science to figure out how many would buy at, say,  $35. Hopefully this number crunching could bring the price down on the package going forward.

Please be right, please please please!!!

image.png.f26772e3516dffa05372316f84046606.png

dp

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

Actually they don't.  Only have the limited hours for the $18 sale doesn't tell them anything.  How many of the people who bought at $18 would have purchased at $50?  How many who didn't purchase at $50 did purchase at $18?  

26 minutes ago, molole said:

I do begin to think this might be an experiment. NCL has been effectively selling their drink packages at $20/pppd regularly for a couple of years now.  Royal seems to follow NCL's marketing shtick a lot, just usually a step behind.  

But NCL increases the fare for people who are getting the $20/day drink package.... not exactly the same thing.  

Perhaps the $18 was part of the plan.  Maybe they screwed up the cruises it was supposed to be available.  Perhaps only intended for a few cruises but ended up mistakenly applied to most of 2020 cruises.

dp

17 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I would like to see Royal roll the package into the price of the cruise fare. That way everyone has it for FREE. Coffee, Juice, Soda, Water, Beer, and Alcohol for ALL!  We cruise, therefore we are entitled to it. 

PLEASE NO!!!  Don't even joke about it!

Those of us who don't drink booze or fancy coffee drinks would end up having to pay more for a cruise.  Why should my cruise fare go up because other people like to drink?

• Like 4

Just now, brillohead said:

Those of us who don't drink booze or fancy coffee drinks would end up having to pay more for a cruise.  Why should my cruise fare go up because other people like to drink?

...lol....EXACTLY!  You can fund our bourbon, gin and beer!  🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I also accept cash, if you prefer to fund my drinking that way 😁

dp

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I would like to see Royal roll the package into the price of the cruise fare. That way everyone has it for FREE. Coffee, Juice, Soda, Water, Beer, and Alcohol for ALL!  We cruise, therefore we are entitled to it. 

Celebrity does that.  I booked a Med Cruise for next summer, and they included 2 perks.  I took the Bev Package and $300 OBC to pay for the grats.  🍷

Edited by Wine-O
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Celebrity has a choice of 4 perks -- Bev Package, OBC, Grats, and Internet.  I booked a cruise with them and they gave 2 perks in the price.  I took Bev & OBC, and friends took OBC & Grats.  🍷

2 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Celebrity does that.  I booked a Med Cruise for next summer, and they included 2 perks.  I took the Bev Package and $300 OBC to pay for the grats.  

And you paid for it . 

7 hours ago, travelplus said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but somewhere embedded in the Terms and Conditions there must be a clause alluding to Mistake Pricing whereby Royal Caribbean has every right not to accept the mistake pricing and ask for the rest of the money or cancel the reservation or in this case beverage package.

While as a Gesture of Goodwill Royal Caribbean accepts the price  they are under no obligation to do so. Yes it takes time to send cancellation e-mails out. They have over a year to do so. 

Also legally Royal  has every right to cancel or change a package  for new purchasers but they cannot add more gratuity to an already purchased package.

What you must understand is reasonably did you think this was the price? Royal Caribbean via Twitter said the package will be cancelled and you will have to repurchase the package at the current prevailing rate meaning what it costs without the error. If Royal were generous they could offer some bonus OBC to offset the cost but again they are in no obligation to do so

Royal lets you cancel the package so you are out $0 but will have to pay the correct price. Airlines have had mistake fares and most of them are not accepted hence why one does not purchase nonrefundable hotel rooms or events.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry to burst your bubble but you're way late to the game 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

Seems they decided to honor the mistake, np, then it should apply to everyone.

I plan to call tomorrow an demand I get the $18 price and everyone else who paid the full price should as well.

This isn't like an airline mis-pricing some odd route that maybe 10 people might get.

It's cute that they're 'owning' their mistake, but they're just screwing over anyone who missed the deal.  

SMH 🤦‍♀️

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But NCL increases the fare for people who are getting the $20/day drink package.... not exactly the same thing.  

True. What Celebrity is doing is similar to NCL.  A big part of the reason why I haven't found anything I like on Celebrity - Drinks often bundled with other perks.  

All I want is a clean base price with no perk and the ability to choose my cabin.  Believe or not Carnival (and to a lesser degree Princess) is the most straightforward in their pricing game nowadays.   Relatively little smoke and mirror. 

12 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I booked the package thru the Cruise Planner at $18 on the 1st of July and got an email reflecting  the price (with 18% gratuity) and confirming the transaction immediately after I booked.  Am I supposed to get another email?

I'm waiting for my credit card transaction to go from pending to confirmed.   🍷

I booked through the Cruise a planner as well. Received the purchase confirmation email. I see the transaction in my purchase history in the cruise planner. Credit card payment has processed. However, it doesn’t show on my calendar. Should it show up there? I also haven’t received the follow up email and I’m wondering if that is why.  Such a glitchy system. 

19 minutes ago, molole said:

True. What Celebrity is doing is similar to NCL.  A big part of the reason why I haven't found anything I like on Celebrity - Drinks often bundled with other perks.  

All I want is a clean base price with no perk and the ability to choose my cabin.  Believe or not Carnival (and to a lesser degree Princess) is the most straightforward in their pricing game nowadays.   Relatively little smoke and mirror. 

You can do that with Celebrity. You have two options to choose from. "Sail best rate" or "Sail plus best value".  Also you can choose your stateroom whether you elect to choose the bundled option or not. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, molole said:

This.  

I feel cheated when the option is "two free perks" and the value of those "perks" varies greatly from one to the next.  I don't drink booze (I'm a redhead, so I'm pretty crazy when stone cold sober -- adding booze would NOT be a good idea!), so a "free" $500 booze package is meaningless to me.  The other options are usually something like $125 in "free" gratuities or $100 in "free" internet or $225 towards shore excursions.  So basically I just paid way more for my cruise but got way less "free" value back in return.  

Until they start offering refundable OBC in the same dollar value as the "free" drink package, the "free perks" thing is a complete rip-off to people who don't drink booze.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Actually they don't.  Only have the limited hours for the $18 sale doesn't tell them anything.  How many of the people who bought at $18 would have purchased at $50?  How many who didn't purchase at $50 did purchase at $18?  

Mathematical algorithms could easily calculate, almost exactly, how many they would sell at $35, $40, $25, etc.

Either way, If 10,000 people consistently buy at $50, and they just discovered that 100,000 would buy at 18, they can easily figure out that 20,000 would buy at $35. (just guessing on the numbers, of course) As a profitable business, what would you do; sell 10,000 at $50, or sell 20,000 at $35? The answer should be obvious. My point is, they now have a high and low base with which to calculate from, including sales history. It's just math the rest of the way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, brillohead said:

On the flip side, the additional revenue generated by people who buy a bunch of drinks onboard allows the cruise lines to keep their base costs very low. They have an impetus to do that because low advertised rates mean more bookings. So the drinkers have been subsidizing your costs for as long as you've been cruising. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, brillohead said:

What?!?  You don’t think you should pay for others?  What a naive approach. I mean, why shouldn’t you pay for mine.  Everyone wins. Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

What?!?  You don’t think you should pay for others?  What a naive approach. I mean, why shouldn’t you pay for mine.  Everyone wins. Lol

Bernie, is that you?  😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2