Radiance vs. Sunrise

Sizzlechest

I cruise out of NY, so my options on Carnival are somewhat limited. The 2020 season has two ships available: Sunrise and the upcoming Radiance. The deck plans are different but similar. Sunrise has JiJi's, which I liked when I cruised on the Horizon, but Radiance will have an Asian area and Big Chicken.

I've been reading about the issues on the Sunrise and I'm wondering if the Radiance will also have the same issues like overcrowding. What's your take?

3 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I cruise out of NY, so my options on Carnival are somewhat limited. The 2020 season has two ships available: Sunrise and the upcoming Radiance. The deck plans are different but similar. Sunrise has JiJi's, which I liked when I cruised on the Horizon, but Radiance will have an Asian area and Big Chicken.

I've been reading about the issues on the Sunrise and I'm wondering if the Radiance will also have the same issues like overcrowding. What's your take?

I have sailed on Sunshine and Sunrise and I am scheduled to go onto Radiance next year. 

Sunrise does not have JiJi's - it does have something called either Lucky Bowl or Happy Bowl

I think the ships for each refurbishment has improved, yes there were some issues with Sunrise but not as many as Sunshine had, so I believe gradually things are improving, always remember the ship is refurbished so issues such as overcrowding are going to be common, a smaller ship is more often than not adding cabins to the original layout of the ship. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, the ships' layouts are practically identical except the Radiance having a couple MORE cabins than Sunrise and it has the barely used seafood shack instead of the Asian food station. 🙄  I don't see on the deck plans where the chicken place will be. Maybe the plans aren't up to date?

Sunrise has both Seafood Shack (near the aft pool) and Lucky Bowl (starboard side between the buffet and Guy's).  You won't know what issues there are, if any, until after the dry dock and a few Radiance cruises.

29 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

Sunrise has both Seafood Shack (near the aft pool) and Lucky Bowl (starboard side between the buffet and Guy's).  You won't know what issues there are, if any, until after the dry dock and a few Radiance cruises.

Yes, but the first sailing isn't until April 2020. That's not a lot of time to decide for a summer cruise.

I just disembarked the Sunrise this morning (8 day Bermuda) and while I had a nice time I REALLY, REALLY didn't like this ship and will NOT Sail on that ship again. On the other hand, I have sailed the SUNSHINE twice and loved that ship and would gladly sail on the Sunshine again!

They made some interesting compromises with the new refurbishments that negatively affect the cruising experience. Basically they cheaped out on maximizing the space and therefore there's not enough room for the amount of passengers they added in the refurb. Some of the compromises is NOT filling in the atrium space on deck 10 above the buffet and NOT expanding Deck 14 to give a bigger Serenity area. Compare either the Sunrise or Radiance with the Sunshine and you'll see what I'm talking about. The overall flow of the Sunshine makes SO much more sense by concentrating all the new kid amenities toward the back of the boat. Waterslides, ropes course, kids club, teen club-everything for the kids on the Sunshine is in the back of the boat. The amount of deck and pool space allocated to the Serenity Area on the Sunshine is so much better! Also by removing the Aft pool and putting in more seating for food there's less overcrowding in the buffet. Also You have JiJi's which IS NOT on either Sunrise or Radiance.

Lucky Bowl is a totally different Asian food concept and actually the OPPOSITE of Mongolian Wok StirFry. Lucky Bowl is all SOUP NOODLES. Each day there's 3 different choices of Asian styles-Chinese, Korean,Thai,Vietnamese; BUT they are all HOT SOUP with noodles and other ingredients and spices (Pork, Chicken,Beef). It's all very tasty but TBH after a morning out on a hot beach the last thing you would want is HOT NOODLE SOUP! It's not open for dinner.

The good points is the rooms are all new including the bathrooms;USB ports(2!!!) right at the headboard. The aft pool is a nice place to handout. Guys burgers and Pizza excellent as usual. Good pasta for lunch at Capitanos ( Hint: DON'T order the meat lasagna, it's nothing like it's supposed to be-neither Italian-American nor Italian). Spacious gym. If you're on Your Time Dining-USE THE APP to reserve your table; SO, SO Much easier and no lines!

Be prepared for crowds, day and night on Deck5. Of course the ship makes it worse by putting the photographers literally RIGHT in the main walkway paths; not one, not two, but at least 4 photographers right in the walkway paths every night!

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I just disembarked the Sunrise this morning (8 day Bermuda) and while I had a nice time I REALLY, REALLY didn't like this ship and will NOT Sail on that ship again. On the other hand, I have sailed the SUNSHINE twice and loved that ship and would gladly sail on the Sunshine again!

They made some interesting compromises with the new refurbishments that negatively affect the cruising experience. Basically they cheaped out on maximizing the space and therefore there's not enough room for the amount of passengers they added in the refurb. Some of the compromises is NOT filling in the atrium space on deck 10 above the buffet and NOT expanding Deck 14 to give a bigger Serenity area. Compare either the Sunrise or Radiance with the Sunshine and you'll see what I'm talking about. The overall flow of the Sunshine makes SO much more sense by concentrating all the new kid amenities toward the back of the boat. Waterslides, ropes course, kids club, teen club-everything for the kids on the Sunshine is in the back of the boat. The amount of deck and pool space allocated to the Serenity Area on the Sunshine is so much better! Also by removing the Aft pool and putting in more seating for food there's less overcrowding in the buffet. Also You have JiJi's which IS NOT on either Sunrise or Radiance.

Lucky Bowl is a totally different Asian food concept and actually the OPPOSITE of Mongolian Wok StirFry. Lucky Bowl is all SOUP NOODLES. Each day there's 3 different choices of Asian styles-Chinese, Korean,Thai,Vietnamese; BUT they are all HOT SOUP with noodles and other ingredients and spices (Pork, Chicken,Beef). It's all very tasty but TBH after a morning out on a hot beach the last thing you would want is HOT NOODLE SOUP! It's not open for dinner.

The good points is the rooms are all new including the bathrooms;USB ports(2!!!) right at the headboard. The aft pool is a nice place to handout. Guys burgers and Pizza excellent as usual. Good pasta for lunch at Capitanos ( Hint: DON'T order the meat lasagna, it's nothing like it's supposed to be-neither Italian-American nor Italian). Spacious gym. If you're on Your Time Dining-USE THE APP to reserve your table; SO, SO Much easier and no lines!

Be prepared for crowds, day and night on Deck5. Of course the ship makes it worse by putting the photographers literally RIGHT in the main walkway paths; not one, not two, but at least 4 photographers right in the walkway paths every night!

Post looks somewhat familiar......LOL so I am taking it you really really want us to know you did not like the ship.

Edited by jimbo5544

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Post looks somewhat familiar......LOL so I am taking it you really really want us to know you did not like the ship.

I want to know if someone didn't like the ship. Quite frankly, I don't see how the Radiance is going to be any better than the Sunrise when the deck plans are essentially identical.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I want to know if someone didn't like the ship. Quite frankly, I don't see how the Radiance is going to be any better than the Sunrise when the deck plans are essentially identical.

I would agree, they are sister ships, a couple minor changes.   It is interesting that people are surprised on layouts on common floors that have not changed in 4 iterations.

Just got off Sunrise on 7/2.  I would avoid both of these ships as they are likely to be crowded squared.  Someone said Sunrise was worst ship ever.  This is not the case.  She is decent enough yet the ship is quite busy.  You get smarter as the week goes by on how to manage it yet you shouldn't have to.  Never have had to do that before.  Pride out of Baltimore is a much better ship IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

I wish Carnival would send a Vista class ship to NY. I'd book that cruise in a heartbeat. So far, it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

They did, the Horizon was there last summer......

I just chuckle about all the negative comments on the Carnival board.  Just off the Miracle and had a great time and she was declared worst ship in the fleet before my sailing.  Just go ahead and book the Sunrise/Triumph, I did.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:44 AM, Sizzlechest said:

Mardi Grah is also getting Shaq's Big Chicken

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

Yeah, but that doesn't help me. NY doesn't seem to get the top of the line ships for long.

I am kinda surprised that both the Sunrise and Radiance will be sailing out of NY for the summer next year. But i do agree, Carnival should bring back the Horizon that was here last year or some other top of the line ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

Yeah, but that doesn't help me. NY doesn't seem to get the top of the line ships for long.

If it sold more they would get more....  Sail 2/3 full out of New York in late fall or winter or full out of Miami.....what would you do.

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

If it sold more they would get more....  Sail 2/3 full out of New York in late fall or winter or full out of Miami.....what would you do.

Easy. Move Horizon to NY for peak cruises in summer. Use Sunrise and Radiance for short 3-5 day cruises. Then rotate.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

I am kinda surprised that both the Sunrise and Radiance will be sailing out of NY for the summer next year. But i do agree, Carnival should bring back the Horizon that was here last year or some other top of the line ship.

Best take a pic of the Mardi Gras when she comes over and frame it, it will be the last new Carnival ship you see for a while....

Just now, Sizzlechest said:

Easy. Move Horizon to NY for peak cruises in summer. Use Sunrise and Radiance for short 3-5 day cruises. Then rotate.

Horizon is staying south, she sold well but not packed when she was here last year.  I understand the desire to have her, weloved her as well.  Just giving you the facts.