Princess Star Engine Problems

krufrank

I just read that this weeks Princess Star cruise to Alaska got off to a rough start - engine issues.  They left Seattle late and then had to stop while out at sea.  I heard reports of scuba divers trying to fix engines  Anyone have an update?  I leave for Alaska on the Star on July 7th.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes, the Star has left late (around 8P M) the last 2 weeks due to work in that area. Has to do with thruster problems.  Please note that that DOES NOT affect the time that you need to arrive at the port for check-in. You should still assume that your departure time will be 4PM and you should arrive at the pier no earlier than 10 am or later than 2:30pm!

Tom

Nice to know that this involves the thrusters.  We could always do tugboats without the thrusters🙂🌅😌

Perhaps one of our engineers, who regularly comment here, could help us understand this issue better.  Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, krufrank said:

I just read that this weeks Princess Star cruise to Alaska got off to a rough start - engine issues.  They left Seattle late and then had to stop while out at sea.  I heard reports of scuba divers trying to fix engines  Anyone have an update?  I leave for Alaska on the Star on July 7th.  Thanks.

Was the engine room flooded?  TIA

19 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Nice to know that this involves the thrusters.  We could always do tugboats without the thrusters🙂🌅😌

Perhaps one of our engineers, who regularly comment here, could help us understand this issue better.  Thanks in advance!

Would that be me?

It sounds like they are having seal problems on one or more thruster, where oil will be leaking out into the sea.  Sometimes this is just a failure of the o-rings or seals, and sometimes it is from debris like fishing lines and nets becoming wrapped around the propeller and damaging the seal.  

I've done a repair like this in Hawaii, where we had the thruster torn apart by divers for the entire week cruise.  All of the large "bits" taken off, like the propeller blades and hub were chained into the thruster tunnel for the transits between ports, and I had to witness the video survey the divers made of how everything was secured down there before we could leave port.  The first thing done is to pump out the oil from the thruster and fill it with sea water, and when the repair is done, you displace the sea water with new oil.  It's pretty interesting that the bearings and things inside the thruster can be subjected to sea water for that long with no adverse affects, but that's what the manufacturer does (their tech rep is onboard for the repair, directing the divers).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Would that be me?

It sounds like they are having seal problems on one or more thruster, where oil will be leaking out into the sea.  Sometimes this is just a failure of the o-rings or seals, and sometimes it is from debris like fishing lines and nets becoming wrapped around the propeller and damaging the seal.  

I've done a repair like this in Hawaii, where we had the thruster torn apart by divers for the entire week cruise.  All of the large "bits" taken off, like the propeller blades and hub were chained into the thruster tunnel for the transits between ports, and I had to witness the video survey the divers made of how everything was secured down there before we could leave port.  The first thing done is to pump out the oil from the thruster and fill it with sea water, and when the repair is done, you displace the sea water with new oil.  It's pretty interesting that the bearings and things inside the thruster can be subjected to sea water for that long with no adverse affects, but that's what the manufacturer does (their tech rep is onboard for the repair, directing the divers).

Yes!  I was hoping you would respond.  Thanks for the great explanation.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 4:56 AM, chengkp75 said:

Would that be me?

Thanks for the explanation.  I also find it interesting that replacing the oil to stop the leak into the sea can be replaced with sea water which is corrosive does not present a serious problem.  Perhaps it is an issue of how long the sea water is left inside the thruster since corrosion does take some time.  

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Thanks for the explanation.  I also find it interesting that replacing the oil to stop the leak into the sea can be replaced with sea water which is corrosive does not present a serious problem.  Perhaps it is an issue of how long the sea water is left inside the thruster since corrosion does take some time.  

Pretty much what the Rolls-Royce tech rep told me.  It just goes against all my training.

• Like 2

We were on this sailing. Yes, it was a rough start left Seattle at 3:15 am. Divers were at the pier to fix the problem. No, we didn’t stop in the middle of the sea for repairs lol. Our only complaint was not being kept in the loop on what was going on. On a side note the captain did haul ass and we didn’t loose any time in port. It was a great cruise!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 9:03 AM, krufrank said:

Interesting.  Those engines must have been outboards.

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:19 AM, satxdiver said:

Different metal alloys such as stainless steel,  Monel, or Inconel,  have a different resistance to sea water corrosion (chloride stress corrosion).  Still, if it were me, I would avoid sea water contact if there was any reasonable way to do so.