Medical Marijuana

2 minutes ago, perditax said:

That sounds like a huge waste of law enforcement resources, so I assume they’re doing it for the profit motive (the thousands of dollars in fines you mention). 

Would much rather they were using dogs to fight actual crime, like weapons and explosives. 

(I know there are a lot of older and more conservative folks here, but hopefully people can at least recognize the fact that study after study reveals a lot more health benefits from marijuana than, say, scotch or vodka. The times they are a-changing.)

All this said: yeah, OP, legally you’re not even in the clear to fly with it, yet. I think you’re fine with CBD though (domestically). 

How about lung health?  Yes - times are a-changing, but the fact remains lungs are being jeopardized and no one wants to address that.  How about substitute those AWFUL Cigarette Commercials with the same Lung Problems marijuana users will encounter?  Hmmm.  It's all Political...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

How about lung health?  Yes - times are a-changing, but the fact remains lungs are being jeopardized and no one wants to address that.  How about substitute those AWFUL Cigarette Commercials with the same Lung Problems marijuana users will encounter?  Hmmm.  It's all Political...

There are many delivery methods, including but not limited to edibles, that don’t involve inhaling any kind of smoke at all. 

Disclaimer: I’m not a user or patient, and I actually can’t stand the way THC affects me. Or the smell of weed, for that matter. I’ve just read the actual research.

(CBD has been helpful for some back pain. And I’m 100% confident that there are many posters reading this sentence right now who use CBD for various issues, and maybe even their pets, but who aren’t going to speak up. And no, I don’t blame you.)

Edited by perditax
  • Like 1

It's funny for every person who has a story about seeing somebody or hearing about somebody being arrested there are dozens of people on every cruise that bring it on. You know how I know? There has been more then one instance on all of my 13 cruises where I have smelled people indulging. Never saw anybody being hauled off with the police. Your call weather you want to risk it or not. No judgement from me. 

13 minutes ago, tap_out said:

It's funny for every person who has a story about seeing somebody or hearing about somebody being arrested there are dozens of people on every cruise that bring it on. You know how I know? There has been more then one instance on all of my 13 cruises where I have smelled people indulging. Never saw anybody being hauled off with the police. Your call weather you want to risk it or not. No judgement from me. 

Probably most people don’t get caught but if you are one of those caught you could be thrown in jail in a foreign port or tossed off the ship. Some people are stupid enough to take the risk, that is my judgement, and others won’t do it when they know the risk and that it is prohibited. It was obvious that the OP who asked the question did not know there was a risk or that it was prohibited from the way they worded their question. Know that they know the rules and risk hopefully they won’t be stupid, they will find alternative medication. 

The OP will be driving from Providence to Boston, so would avoid the potential of being snagged by TSA at the airport for the transport of marijuana, which is still a federal crime. But, carrying enough for a 13 day cruise may push him from medical use to distribution. 

3 hours ago, perditax said:

That sounds like a huge waste of law enforcement resources, so I assume they’re doing it for the profit motive (the thousands of dollars in fines you mention). 

Would much rather they were using dogs to fight actual crime, like weapons and explosives. 

(I know there are a lot of older and more conservative folks here, but hopefully people can at least recognize the fact that study after study reveals a lot more health benefits from marijuana than, say, scotch or vodka. The times they are a-changing.)

All this said: yeah, OP, legally you’re not even in the clear to fly with it, yet. I think you’re fine with CBD though (domestically). 

Possession and use of marijuana IS an actual crime. 

No study has shown health benefits from any of that.  At least not any based on independent research with no dog in the fight.  They all actually have detrimental heath effect to onr degree or another.  Because item A is 'less bad' than item B does not in any way indicate that item A is even close to good.

• Like 3

I am very surprised you have given your residential details and used a photo.    It could now be known to the various authorities that you are likely to be carrying "weed".  It could be that they will be waiting for you!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP will be driving from Providence to Boston, so would avoid the potential of being snagged by TSA at the airport for the transport of marijuana, which is still a federal crime. But, carrying enough for a 13 day cruise may push him from medical use to distribution. 

TSA defers to local police for non-international or any flight that does not have to go through Customs. So if the local police don't care, TSA won't hold you for being in possession. Customs and border protection are the Feds, at every port you embark at, still treat it like reeefer madness and will arrest you on felony charges.

The way to handle this for the OP is to use the week as a tolerance break to be safe. To be less dangerous than smoking weed, switch to vaping. Invest in a PAX ERA pen that looks exactly like a Juul, and buy extract cartridges in your favorite strain. You'll find almost no smell, and still have the ability to medicate. For just a little more smell and hassle, you can buy a dry flower vaporizer like a FlowerMate v5.0 Mini that will vape the bud to get the same mix of cannabinoids and terpenes you get smoking it, but without the dangerous (and stinkier) products of combustion. The FlowerMate resembles a portable USB battery when the mouthpiece is folded into it, and looks like a vape mod when in use.

If you still want to smoke flower, look into water curing the bud. It removes most terpenes, but retains the cannabinoids. You get a milder high reportedly, but it doesn't smell much at all.

Edited by fshagan

5 hours ago, perditax said:

I believe Charles was speaking of the officials & arrests in Bermuda. 

Not exactly on topic but sure an eye-opener... We were on the Breakaway a couple of months ago and coming back from GSC there was a dog (yeah that kind of dog) with his handler (NCL security) on the tender and once onboard the Breakaway the doggie was checking everyone as they came onboard.  From a private island...

Saw the same dog in St. Thomas, did not notice at San Juan or BVI's. We left early (luggage with us) and were off fairly early, they had several (8-10) pieces of luggage surround by a couple of dogs I guess waiting on their owners. Yikes!!

5 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

When the cruise lines start allowing MJ smoking, that is when I stop cruising.

In years past there were some short cruises that you basically could get high walking down the deck of cabins.. not so much anymore. if it's legal in the future it would be allowed the same as cig smoking, only in certain areas

3 minutes ago, bobsfamily said:

In years past there were some short cruises that you basically could get high walking down the deck of cabins.. not so much anymore. if it's legal in the future it would be allowed the same as cig smoking, only in certain areas

Personally, I don't have a problem with other people using MJ.  However, I very much dislike the odor that is produced.

Also, I am a retired attorney that once did public defender work representing many druggies.  Most of them always seemed to be in a haze when I had to deal with them, even in court.  I am not saying the everyone that uses MJ is like that, but too many are.  I don't want the smoke on the ship, or the zoned out people either.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

When the cruise lines start allowing MJ smoking, that is when I stop cruising.

Your time’s just about up.

Curious - You’re OK cruising with belligerent drunks but have a problem with someone enjoying a mellow high?

Edited by CruisingNole
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

It’s a joke...a song...non smoker here...

Good to hear. I live in d/t toronto and when we go out its constant walking into a cloud of that nasty smelling stuff. I swear that you could roll up donkey doo and smoke it and get the same high.

2 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

In years past there were some short cruises that you basically could get high walking down the deck of cabins.. not so much anymore. if it's legal in the future it MIGHT be allowed the same as cig smoking, only in certain areas

I fixed your post for you.

40 minutes ago, FranknBeans said:

Good to hear. I live in d/t toronto and when we go out its constant walking into a cloud of that nasty smelling stuff. I swear that you could roll up donkey doo and smoke it and get the same high.

Sorry to hear the quality of weed in Toronto is that bad.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Your time’s just about up.

Curious - You’re OK cruising with belligerent drunks but have a problem with someone enjoying a mellow high?

After 20 ocean and 4 river cruises, I have yet to see the belligerent drunks you refer to in your post.  We largely do long cruises and not the Caribbean.   I have read about the three day cruises and all the drunks, but not see than problem on our cruises.

In any event, I don't care for drunks any more than spaced out potheads.   It is not a  hostility, I just don't want their company or the smoke.  I dislike cigarette smoke quite a lot.  That is why I never cruised on HAL (until two years ago, they allowed smoking on their balconies).

Policy wise, I think decriminalizing pot is wise, but it will have some negative consequences.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

There have been discussions about people who vape in their rooms without detection. 

The dogs can detect it in whatever form. I mentioned Bermuda but drug dogs coming onboard the ship sniffing happens at other ports. Even in US ports, there was a whole thread about back to back passengers having their cabins searched in Florida.Some countries insist on enforcing the laws and some might like the revenue as someone speculated. I have read it happens in the Bahamas too.TThe cruise lines may be complicit. There may be crew members that tip off the authorities. Maybe they get a reward, part of the fine for reporting people.