The Alaska Cruise Companion - Book And Map Set

Bubbs33

Might want to buy a used book on Amazon or Ebay to read before you go.  We kept the fresh copy (signed by the Captain) that we bought onboard on our first trip.  Took the Ebay copy on the other three trips as well.

If you are going to buy it get the one onboard. It will have the map and will also be the correct version. There is another one by a different author that people say is not nearly as good. I don't have the book and haven't missed having it but many others say it is great - as long as you get the right one and one that is new so it has the map.

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Might want to buy a used book on Amazon or Ebay to read before you go.  We kept the fresh copy (signed by the Captain) that we bought onboard on our first trip.  Took the Ebay copy on the other three trips as well.

The actual writer (Rachel Cartwright) used to be a Naturalist for Princess. She is periodically on ships and will sign a copy. I would rather have her signature - she did write the book.

Joe Upton was the other author that Princess used to have a contract with. I had his book and it was fine. Probably outdated now.

7 minutes ago, milolii said:

Hi so does the author sell the book independently.  Interested in purchasing before I cruise.  

No - Princess has exclusive rights on this.

Maybe it is Princess and HAL - I don't remember.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Coral said:

The actual writer (Rachel Cartwright) used to be a Naturalist for Princess. She is periodically on ships and will sign a copy. I would rather have her signature - she did write the book.

Joe Upton was the other author that Princess used to have a contract with. I had his book and it was fine. Probably outdated now.

We had the Joe Upton book and map for our 2014 Alaska cruise.  We bought it before the cruise so we could begin reading before we left.  It didn’t seem to be inferior in any way to the Rachel Cartwright book that we checked out on the ship.  I don’t think that we’ll do another Alaska cruise (too many other places to explore), but if we did we’d probably get the Cartwright book.

6 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We had the Joe Upton book and map for our 2014 Alaska cruise.  We bought it before the cruise so we could begin reading before we left.  It didn’t seem to be inferior in any way to the Rachel Cartwright book that we checked out on the ship.  I don’t think that we’ll do another Alaska cruise (too many other places to explore), but if we did we’d probably get the Cartwright book.

Mine wasn't as "colorful" but I got it when Princess was selling it on the ship. The new ones have better pictures. It was fine.