HELP, I need help packing!!!!!!!!!!

Judyrem

I m just starting to pack for my HOTS cruise on Sunday July 7.  I am overwhelmed, I think I am bringing TOO many clothes!  

I am not newbie traveler, I just got back from a ten day Scotland trip two weeks ago with just a carry on, but cruises seem different and harder to pack for.

I read all the cruise ship "hacks" and still I can't whittle down my clothes to an acceptable level. 

I will be with my 10 year old granddaughter, so no fancy clothes for us, just really nice outfits.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Edited by Judyrem

Bring 3 pair of nice slacks. You can wear them at least twice. Bring 6 coordinating tops made of thin material. Bring one nice sweater for evening. Bring one windbreaker for daytime. One pair of evening shoes. Bathing Suit. Water shoes. Undergarments. Toiletries (makeup, sunscreen, hairbrush, etc). Change up your looks by accessories (Jewelry, scarves..). Done!

• Like 2

I have  paisley capris that I can wear a few times with different tops.  Good idea. Thanks!  How many bathing suits would you bring, we are going to snorkel on shore excursions?

Edited by Judyrem

10 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I have  paisley capris that I can wear a few times with different tops.  Good idea. Thanks!  How many bathing suits would you bring, we are going to snorkel on shore excursions?

Two at the most.  One can be washed in the sink &  dried out while you’re wearing the second. I’ve gotten by with taking only one, but it was a bit of a challenge.  Two should do ya just fine.

• Like 2

Start by limiting yourself to a specific size of luggage.  If you pick a 26" bag you will fill it.  If you pick a 22" bag you will fill that.

Just pick the size you want to travel with/carry  then pack accordingly.  Unless you select a huge bag, you will find yourself making sensible trade offs and you will not have room for the proverbial kitchen sink.   When our children we young we had a rule.....you pack it you carry it.  This worked like a charm with our daughter.

I also suspect that the earlier you start packing the more excess clothing you will pack.  Since moving to carry on DW packs the day/night before.  That practice alone cut down on how much she dragged along but did not use/need.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DarrenM said:

the shoes you travel in and a pair of trainers.

The jeans you travel in, and a spare pair.

5 shirts and enough socks to cover both feet.

Sorted.

Swim naked.

If I did that that I would be fined!😜  The "she hurts me eyes" would be the cause of the fine..  Only 20-30s something should be able to that!👀

Take half as you think you will need.  Bring some soap you can use to wash something in sink, bring a few clothespins, and a very tiny sewing kit.  And worst case every ship has some sort of laundry service (aint cheap so avoid it if possible). I dare say the ratio of passengers who bring home clean clothing to those who run out and have to pay to get something cleaned is like 50 to 1.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ggtjr said:

Bring a small bottle of dish detergent to hand wash any clothes

If you're flying carryon, the dish detergent would have to be 3oz or less and take space in your 3-1-1 bag.

I use either 1/4 sheets of EZ-wash (cut them at home) for a sinkful or the body wash supplied by the ship for a single item.

ETA: I'm with the capris; take two pair, maybe the print and a solid. It's going to be hot. A pair of trousers or nice-looking leggings for dinner maybe.

Try to get to port with enough time to buy some reef-safe (zinc or titanium oxide) sun screen. Walgreen has zinc oxide in a tube that applies clear on the skin so you don't look like a 1960's lifeguard!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ggtjr said:

Bring a small bottle of dish detergent to hand wash any clothes

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

If you're flying carryon, the dish detergent would have to be 3oz or less and take space in your 3-1-1 bag.

I use either 1/4 sheets of EZ-wash (cut them at home) for a sinkful or the body wash supplied by the ship for a single item.

They actually make individual packets of Tide for hand-washing in the sink. Found them at Walmart (in the travel size toiletries section) and at Walgreen's. 

6 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Two bathing suits max! (As PieMom recommended...)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iancal said:

I also suspect that the earlier you start packing the more excess clothing you will pack.  Since moving to carry on DW packs the day/night before.  That practice alone cut down on how much she dragged along but did not use/need.

YMMV, I find it takes me longer to pack light.  If I do it the night before I tend to pack everything I might need.  If I start a few days in advance, I have time to weed out the crap.  Plus gives me time to go to the store once I realize all my H&B items are from Cosco and I need a travel size or need to transfer into smaller containers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

ETA: I'm with the capris; take two pair, maybe the print and a solid. It's going to be hot. A pair of trousers or nice-looking leggings for dinner maybe.

Try to get to port with enough time to buy some reef-safe (zinc or titanium oxide) sun screen. Walgreen has zinc oxide in a tube that applies clear on the skin so you don't look like a 1960's lifeguard!

I have some Alba reef safe sunscreen, would never snorkel/dive without it.🙂

I am doing the two pair of capris.

Shampoo has worked also as a detergent for me when I travel..

My granddaughter changes her undies when she is very sweaty.  She WILL be sweaty in Roatan  when we see the the sloths/monkeys, snorkel and beach it.  I see myself washing out her undies in the sink.

I told my daughter to send LOTS of undies.😳

12 hours ago, clo said:

How old is she?  Too young to do her own?

She is ten and I think she has never done it, she is flying in today and she will try it.

Edited by Judyrem
  • Like 1

Judy, 

Sounds like you have it under control. I can understand wanting to change (anything) when sweaty! Although I usually just tough it out! But packing for warm (hot and humid) trips is way different than mostly chilly-cold ones. Cold weather clothes take up more room, but tropical conditions mean less re-wearing of tops and pants, in my experience. 

Have a wonderful cruise, grandmother and grand-daughter!

• Like 2