Total cost for single more than for double

For a cruise we are doing next year, certain rate codes (group) are only available if 2 are booked in a room. This means that a room for 1 is about $400 more than the total price for 2 in the same room. Additionally, the group rate is refundable, the single rate is non refundable. 

Has anyone ever ran into this situation and have a way to get the lower rate for a single room? 

4 minutes ago, MechE31 said:

For a cruise we are doing next year, certain rate codes (group) are only available if 2 are booked in a room. This means that a room for 1 is about $400 more than the total price for 2 in the same room. Additionally, the group rate is refundable, the single rate is non refundable. 

Has anyone ever ran into this situation and have a way to get the lower rate for a single room? 

Book two people and have the second person be a no show.

• Like 2

Royal would then refund half of taxes at the pier, correct? It says $440 in Port fees included in posted rate and $276 taxes added to rate. I would only get half of the $276 back, correct? 

14 minutes ago, MechE31 said:

Royal would then refund half of taxes at the pier, correct? 

The refund would be whatever the per person taxes were - it will take a couple of business days to show up as a credit on the cc you used. 

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

I’ve had no problems booking solos into group rates.  You or your TA can’t do it throigh Espresso but if you call it can certainly  be done.  I’ve done at least half a dozen bookings this way.  No need to book a fake guest and do a no show. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve had no problems booking solos into group rates.  You or your TA can’t do it throigh Espresso but if you call it can certainly  be done.  I’ve done at least half a dozen bookings this way.  No need to book a fake guest and do a no show. 

However, if there is any possibility that the OP may get a stateroom mate, it's better to book for two initially.  What is the downside of the "no show" method?  Is there a cost difference?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

However, if there is any possibility that the OP may get a stateroom mate, it's better to book for two initially.  What is the downside of the "no show" method?  Is there a cost difference?

Yes if there is any possibility of a second guest going then definitely put a second name on the reservation.  No real downside to doing a no show other than having to pay the taxes and let Royal have that money for 3 months and then wait for them to refund it.  

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

My TA has always told me that I'm price-protected if I book solo and later want to add a second person, and that there is always muster station room reserved for the second person in my room (it's adding a third or fourth person that can run into the muster station problem).  

Benefit of booking solo is that I only have to pay one deposit up front -- I hold my money instead of RCI.  Price is the same in the end, though.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, brillohead said:

My TA has always told me that I'm price-protected if I book solo and later want to add a second person, and that there is always muster station room reserved for the second person in my room (it's adding a third or fourth person that can run into the muster station problem).  

Benefit of booking solo is that I only have to pay one deposit up front -- I hold my money instead of RCI.  Price is the same in the end, though.  

FYI, If your TA ever puts you in a group it is the full deposit for two that’s due even if you are travelling solo.  Group deposits are by cabin not individual.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

FYI, If your TA ever puts you in a group it is the full deposit for two that’s due even if you are travelling solo.  Group deposits are by cabin not individual.

Yep, I have run into that a couple of times.  In those cases, the extra deposit was more than worth the great rate I was getting!!!

12 hours ago, brillohead said:

I got the same info from TA.

• Like 1

I cruise RCCL solo fairy often. Once, when I was making a late booking for a port I could drive to, the website showed sold-out of all solo cabins. When I went back and entered two, cabins magically appeared. I booked for two and got my taxes back in a refund after the cruise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

Any idea how this effects the double points awarded for solo bookings?

When the other person is a no-show, you get double points.  

If the system doesn't award them automatically, you can call C&A and tell them you were solo in the room (which they can confirm) and they'll fix the points.

However, there is no need to book a TBD second person -- calling RCI or a TA can get you booked solo at the same rate.

Just now, brillohead said:

When the other person is a no-show, you get double points.  

If the system doesn't award them automatically, you can call C&A and tell them you were solo in the room (which they can confirm) and they'll fix the points.

However, there is no need to book a TBD second person -- calling RCI or a TA can get you booked solo at the same rate.

Thanks (and to @biker19 too). I have never sailed solo, but as I am more flexible with time off then DH since I determine my schedule, it certainly could happen. And I could also foresee booking a cabin for two and then seeing if a sister or friend can join me (and the answer could be no 🙁). So I am trying to take notes on threads like this! Thanks for the extra info! 🙂

• Like 1