Melbourne...Things to know

WAVTAM

Have cruise out of Sydney many times. Next cruise is out of Melbourne. Aware of major tourists sites and shuttle service at airport..

Looking for hidden places like, best cafes, hotels( apts) to stay in CBD, etc. Open to all suggestions.

• Like 1

i stayed at Ibis Hotel and Apartments in Thierry Street, Melbourne. within the free tram zone, on the weekend.  We had a one bedroom apartment, with buffet breakfast included.  It is close to the Melbourne Markets, with lots of good eating places, as well as fresh produce.  It is close to the free Circle Tram and between two tram lines, so convenient for getting around.

My current favourite restaurants in Melbourne are Yoyogi Japanese Restaurant in Swanston Street and Rice Paper Scissors in Liverpool Street.  I go to Pellegrinis for coffee and Buretti for cake selection.  Chinatown has great Chinese restaurants.  Get a brochure of laneways in Melbourne and follow the lanes from Flinders Street to Hardgrave Street and pick any packed cafe which appeals to you.  

On 7/9/2019 at 11:15 AM, MMDown Under said:

i stayed at Ibis Hotel and Apartments in Thierry Street, Melbourne. within the free tram zone, on the weekend.  We had a one bedroom apartment, with buffet breakfast included.  It is close to the Melbourne Markets, with lots of good eating places, as well as fresh produce.  It is close to the free Circle Tram and between two tram lines, so convenient for getting around.

My current favourite restaurants in Melbourne are Yoyogi Japanese Restaurant in Swanston Street and Rice Paper Scissors in Liverpool Street.  I go to Pellegrinis for coffee and Buretti for cake selection.  Chinatown has great Chinese restaurants.  Get a brochure of laneways in Melbourne and follow the lanes from Flinders Street to Hardgrave Street and pick any packed cafe which appeals to you.  

A great position to stay - just a correction it is Therry Street and did you mean Degraves Street? Just about anywhere in the CBD (Central Business District) is in a good position to stay, all close to public transport.

WAVTAM, what type of restaurant do you like to eat at? Melbourne has some fabulous cafes hidden away in its lanes and arcades. As well as the CBD, there is Docklands and Southbank for both accommodation and cafes/restaurants. 

Leigh

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

A great position to stay - just a correction it is Therry Street and did you mean Degraves Street? Just about anywhere in the CBD (Central Business District) is in a good position to stay, all close to public transport.

WAVTAM, what type of restaurant do you like to eat at? Melbourne has some fabulous cafes hidden away in its lanes and arcades. As well as the CBD, there is Docklands and Southbank for both accommodation and cafes/restaurants. 

Leigh

Hi, just dropped in to say it is Hardware Lane for the packed cafes for breakfast.  

Cheers

Not hotel or food, but I'm looking forward to these slightly off the beaten track things to do or photograph: 

Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes (though look to be a bit far, and hard to get to on bus/train!)

Luna Park, St Kilda (schedule a little erratic, but if nothing else, I want to see that big smiling clown face!)

Going to see penguins coming ashore to roost in rocks surrounding St Kilda pier (anyone have info on that to confirm this really happens?) and at nearby Catani Park view possums in trees at night.

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

OP...…..Enjoy all types of food. Looking for the more native AU foods.

8 hours ago, matilda said:

Hi, just dropped in to say it is Hardware Lane for the packed cafes for breakfast.  

Cheers

Yes Hardware Lane is very popular for breakfast and the cafes there are always packed but DeGraves St which is off Flinders St also is popular. I wasn’t sure which the OP meant.

Leigh

8 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

OP...…..Enjoy all types of food. Looking for the more native AU foods.

There’s a thread on the Australia and New Zealand Cruisers forum about foods, or even one just on meat pies.

9 hours ago, roothy123 said:
9 hours ago, roothy123 said:

Not hotel or food, but I'm looking forward to these slightly off the beaten track things to do or photograph: 

Brighton Beach Bathing Boxes (though look to be a bit far, and hard to get to on bus/train!)

Luna Park, St Kilda (schedule a little erratic, but if nothing else, I want to see that big smiling clown face!)

Going to see penguins coming ashore to roost in rocks surrounding St Kilda pier (anyone have info on that to confirm this really happens?) and at nearby Catani Park view possums in trees at night.

It is about a 15 minute walk from Brighton Beach railway station to the bathing boxes. You would take the Sandringham line train to Brighton Beach. As far as possums go, you can see them almost in any park at night (and even in my garden most nights). They are protected in Australia but not in NZ where their fur is used for making knitwear such as gloves, beanies etc. 

Leigh

On 7/10/2019 at 6:05 PM, possum52 said:

Leigh

Oops Hardware Lane.  I like how you can wander up the lanes and arcades from one to the other from Flinders Street to Hardware Lane.  

11 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Oops Hardware Lane.  I like how you can wander up the lanes and arcades from one to the other from Flinders Street to Hardware Lane.  

I love Melbourne’s arcades. So interesting to walk through and also to people watch. But Hardware Lane is a favourite. 

Leigh

On 7/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, possum52 said:

I love Melbourne’s arcades. So interesting to walk through and also to people watch. But Hardware Lane is a favourite. 

Leigh

I think that’s the one the kids take us to.

• 2 weeks later...

This is slightly off topic, but since it does relate to cruisers visiting Melbourne, I hope it's of use to all.  I was wondering: 

Would anyone know the closest place to Port of Melbourne (Beacon Cove area?) to get a myki card or other card to use on the trams, buses?  I know you can get one in the port terminal but have read there are long lines when a cruise ship comes in. The port site mentions there's a convenience store very close to that pier.  Do they sell cards there, or somewhere else around there?  When I blow up the map that's on the VTC website I see Sputinos, which looks to be a restaurant, and something across from that might be a food store.  Would anyone happen to know what I should head to in order to get a myki?  Thanks, and sorry for the interruption.

5 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

This is slightly off topic, but since it does relate to cruisers visiting Melbourne, I hope it's of use to all.  I was wondering: 

Would anyone know the closest place to Port of Melbourne (Beacon Cove area?) to get a myki card or other card to use on the trams, buses?  I know you can get one in the port terminal but have read there are long lines when a cruise ship comes in. The port site mentions there's a convenience store very close to that pier.  Do they sell cards there, or somewhere else around there?  When I blow up the map that's on the VTC website I see Sputinos, which looks to be a restaurant, and something across from that might be a food store.  Would anyone happen to know what I should head to in order to get a myki?  Thanks, and sorry for the interruption.

There is a convenience store right at the end of Station Pier, you can get a Myki Card there.

Edited by GUT2407
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

285762634_StationPier.JPG.e111c0fa1d2a06c11271e486662f5d08.JPG

At the bottom of the map is the pier and at the top is the Beacon Cove Food Store where as GUT said you will probably be able to buy a Myki card. Just opposite is the light rail/tram station from where the line into the city leaves.

Leigh

8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thank you both for the great information on where to get a Myki card.  Can I assume that the ones sold at certain convenience and other stores the loadable/reloadable kind - in other words not just for one use? 

Thanks again.

Yes that is correct. 

Leigh

10 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thank you both for the great information on where to get a Myki card.  Can I assume that the ones sold at certain convenience and other stores the loadable/reloadable kind - in other words not just for one use? 

Thanks again.

I’m pretty sure they’re all reloadable, but yep the ones at the shop certainly are.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:06 AM, GUT2407 said:

I’m pretty sure they’re all reloadable, but yep the ones at the shop certainly are.

All myki's are reloadable - however the maximum you can spend in one day is $8.60 - so don't load up too much.  You will use the myki for trains / buses as well and trams so you can plan to go anywhere 😉

Thank you, Gut and Janet & Carl.  Is the maximum a cap, or does the card just go inactive at that point, requiring you to reload?  I'll be there on a week day, if it matters, and then back again a week later.  If I buy a card and load $8.60, what happens when that amount is used up (on the same day I buy it)?  I know some Australian public transportation systems have a daily cap, but I forget which ones! 

The maximum charge on MYKI is $8.80 per day as from January 1st 2019. You can load as much money as you think you will need for your two weeks in Melbourne. You can't use your MYKI if it has a negative balance on it so ensure you have enough money on it before travelling.

Leigh

On 7/30/2019 at 12:14 AM, possum52 said:

The maximum charge on MYKI is $8.80 per day as from January 1st 2019. You can load as much money as you think you will need for your two weeks in Melbourne. You can't use your MYKI if it has a negative balance on it so ensure you have enough money on it before travelling.

Leigh

So is the myki card good for 2 weeks?  That would be convenient for us as we will be in Melbourne December 3 to the 6th and then as a cruise stop on December 15th, a Sunday.  Can we get to St. Kilda and Brighton Beach directly from the cruise port without going into the CBD first?