Late flights after disembarkation?

Phillygirl3

I was wondering if any of my fellow cruisers have had any experience with late night flights after disembarking.  Does Viking provide a place for passengers to go while awaiting a late night flight after disembarking at 8 am.  I can't imagine being taken to the airport and waiting there for 12 hours.  Hoping someone has advice regarding this situation.  Thanking you in advance for any feedback.

We had a 5:30 p.m. flight after our cruise last fall that ended in San Juan. We put our large suitcases out for transport the night before like normal, 10:00 p.m.

We had to be out of our stateroom by 8:30. Disemabarked by port authorities about 9:30 to clear the ship. After a brief delay we were allowed back onboard with a guest pass, enjoyed lunch before being taken to the airport about 12:30. 

2 hours ago, Phillygirl3 said:

I was wondering if any of my fellow cruisers have had any experience with late night flights after disembarking.  Does Viking provide a place for passengers to go while awaiting a late night flight after disembarking at 8 am.  I can't imagine being taken to the airport and waiting there for 12 hours.  Hoping someone has advice regarding this situation.  Thanking you in advance for any feedback.

I literally just got off the phone with Viking two hours ago with a similar question. (They actually called me in response to an inquiry to tellus@vikingcruises.com.)  We have a 9:50 pm flight out of Santiago and we purchased the Viking transfer from Valparaiso port. I was told that the latest transfer is generally around 10:00 a.m., which would mean spending about 10 hours at the airport.  The Viking rep acknowledged that that was not ideal, and he said they would be happy to refund the departure transfer if I wanted to.  I asked whether Viking would hold/store luggage in the cruise terminal and was told no, but that many of the terminals had private luggage facilities that would store luggage for a fee.  So, for me the question came down to deciding whether to hang out in Valparaiso for the day and arrange my own transportation to the airport, or use the Viking transport, store luggage at the airport and get a cab to downtown Santiago.  I’m opting to use the transport service to the airport and then spend some time in Santiago, which is much closer to the airport (25 minutes) than Valparaiso (90 minutes).  Not sure if this all applies to your situation, but I thought I’d pass along what I was told. 

Cocopico:  Thanks for your response.  Apparently my TA was under the impression that Viking would have some place for disembarking passengers to store their luggage at some airport hotel or something similar.  What I can't figure out is how 900 passengers (some may have earlier flights, but I was told most flights back to the US are these late night flights) are going to be hanging out in the airport for 10 hours.    Like you, we will probably go into Santiago.  My husband said that maybe we can book a tour and have them pick us up at the airport.   I would imagine many people will be doing this so I'm wondering if some of us can book a tour together or share a taxi.  I know that I will feel uncomfortable leaving all of my luggage in an airport locker but I don't want to drag my carry on around Santiago.  I guess anything of any value that I would be upset if I lost, will have to be in my shoulder bag.  I don't know when you are booked on this cruise, but I look forward to meeting you!

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Not always available at airports, so an important detail to clarify before you go.

Very true — I should have mentioned that I did check on this for the Santiago airport, but not all airports have luggage storage.  Another issue to check is how early you can check your checked luggage for your flight. 

2 hours ago, Phillygirl3 said:

What I can't figure out is how 900 passengers (some may have earlier flights, but I was told most flights back to the US are these late night flights) are going to be hanging out in the airport for 10 hours.

Almost my words exactly to the Viking rep!  I wasn’t sure if I was getting generic feedback, or if the rep had looked into the issue specifically as it relates to this cruise. I think I’m going to stick with the Viking transfer but not make any other arrangements until we see what the situation is when we get there.  Maybe there will be some other options.  Taking lots of folks to the airport for a 10-hour wait just doesn’t seem reasonable.  (We once had a transfer to the San Juan airport that got us there 5 hours before flight time.  Not fun, but better than 10 hours!)  

A fellow-passenger (male) always packed his (laundered) clothing and stuff in a cheap suitcase which he disposed of when disembarking, leaving him with his wallet, air ticket, passport and camera in a small back-pack.  This gave him freedom when flying late, he said, discouraged spending on tourist tee-shirts and tat, and removed the stress of airport baggage handling.

His wife did not follow his example!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Rawmac said:

A fellow-passenger (male) always packed his (laundered) clothing and stuff in a cheap suitcase which he disposed of when disembarking, leaving him with his wallet, air ticket, passport and camera in a small back-pack.  This gave him freedom when flying late, he said, discouraged spending on tourist tee-shirts and tat, and removed the stress of airport baggage handling.

His wife did not follow his example!

Wife was happy. He had more hands to deal with her luggage.

• Haha 1

Years ago had similar situation in Sau Paulo, Brazil (disembark 8:30am with a 11:30pm flight back to states).  We arranged for a day rate at a nice airport area hotel (use of room and facilities for the day at a significantly reduced rate) and took the ship transfer to the airport and hotel shuttle from and back to the airport.  Had nice lunch and dinner at hotel, caught a nap or two and used the hotel pool and amenities.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cocopico said:

Almost my words exactly to the Viking rep!  I wasn’t sure if I was getting generic feedback, or if the rep had looked into the issue specifically as it relates to this cruise. I think I’m going to stick with the Viking transfer but not make any other arrangements until we see what the situation is when we get there.  Maybe there will be some other options.  Taking lots of folks to the airport for a 10-hour wait just doesn’t seem reasonable.  (We once had a transfer to the San Juan airport that got us there 5 hours before flight time.  Not fun, but better than 10 hours!)  

Last year we asked for a transfer to the airport as early as possible, but we do know that some US passengers asked for an airport transfer as late as possible, and I believe that we were all happy with the transfers which were arranged by the ship.

19 hours ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Cocopico:  Thanks for your response.  Apparently my TA was under the impression that Viking would have some place for disembarking passengers to store their luggage at some airport hotel or something similar.  What I can't figure out is how 900 passengers (some may have earlier flights, but I was told most flights back to the US are these late night flights) are going to be hanging out in the airport for 10 hours.    Like you, we will probably go into Santiago.  My husband said that maybe we can book a tour and have them pick us up at the airport.   I would imagine many people will be doing this so I'm wondering if some of us can book a tour together or share a taxi.  I know that I will feel uncomfortable leaving all of my luggage in an airport locker but I don't want to drag my carry on around Santiago.  I guess anything of any value that I would be upset if I lost, will have to be in my shoulder bag.  I don't know when you are booked on this cruise, but I look forward to meeting you!

Phillygirl3

We had this situation earlier this year when we did a segment of the WC from Buenos Aires to Santiago where we disembarked with a late flight, actually leaving at 0100 the next morning.  (We did not want to trail around Santiago).

Thanks to info on our roll call we booked a private tour around some of the wineries for the day with a drop off at Santiago airport.  We had a very good driver and were very pleased with the choice of wineries and gave us an opportunity to see some of the countryside as well.  And good as it was to enjoy our Viking tours (some included, some we paid extra for), it was so nice to just have the two of us and we chose the pace!  Luggage came with us, so no worries there.  

We were dropped off at the airport still too early to check in and bag check our luggage - we were flying with Qatar and their desk was a strict 3 hours before flight opening times.  I also remember it was a very, very busy crowded airport. We were dropped off around 7pm, so we just headed to the Holiday Inn (I think it was the HI) and the air conditioning, which is right at the airport (walk across the road) and had something to eat and got freshened up.  (We chose not to have a day room as we would have been out of that anyway by 5pm, so not feasible in our case but might work for someone with an earlier "late" flight!). 

We used Connie at ColchaguaWineTours.com (as did a few other people from our cruise also so I am sure you could get a small group together. There are other wine tour companies but Connie replied promptly to our initial enquiry and other questions we had.  We paid them for the tour and then paid for the wine tastings and lunch separately at the wineries.  Worked out well, especially when we had finished our lunch when a Viking tour bus arrived and while we were enjoying just people watching and a glass of wine, they were shuffled in and out and gone.  It was very hot that day and I was grateful that we were sitting in the cool courtyard.  Hope this helps.DSC05046.thumb.jpg.ea9b452208480a81aeb3532edffcdb5d.jpgDSC05048.thumb.jpg.44293dd3907759e13f65032c5fa4eaa3.jpg

Dear Segmentersfloattheboat:

Thank you for your response and all of the invaluable information that you provided.  You have certainly given us food for thought.  I think that you are right about getting a group together and maybe doing the wineries.  Were you able to learn whether or not there was a luggage holding area at the airport?  I went online to the airport's website and it looks as if they have a new international terminal, so I can't imagine them not having lockers or a luggage holding area, but after looking at the map of the terminal, I didn't see any indication of one.  

Thanks for the lovely pictures and, again, for your feedback!

1 hour ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Were you able to learn whether or not there was a luggage holding area at the airport?  I went online to the airport's website and it looks as if they have a new international terminal, so I can't imagine them not having lockers or a luggage holding area, but after looking at the map of the terminal, I didn't see any indication of one. 

Can't swear its true, but a website describing services at the Santiago airport included the following:

Luggage Storage & Lockers – The airport has a fully secure left luggage facility. Location: Airport Lobby, landside, 1st floor (Gate 1). Hours: 24 hours. Rates per 24 hours: Small bag $ 3.000 CLP • Medium bag $ 4.000 CLP • Large bag $ 5.000 CLP • Personal Items (keys/wallet/etc.) $ 2.000 CLP.

1 hour ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Dear Segmentersfloattheboat:

Thank you for your response and all of the invaluable information that you provided.  You have certainly given us food for thought.  I think that you are right about getting a group together and maybe doing the wineries.  Were you able to learn whether or not there was a luggage holding area at the airport?  I went online to the airport's website and it looks as if they have a new international terminal, so I can't imagine them not having lockers or a luggage holding area, but after looking at the map of the terminal, I didn't see any indication of one.  

Thanks for the lovely pictures and, again, for your feedback!

Apologies, I should have said we were collected from the port straight after disembarkation around 0930 - we managed to have our last Viking restaurant breakfast, so we were relaxed and set up for the day. The driver was waiting for us in a very nice Mercedes people carrier (plenty of room for all the "cruise luggage"!), so we had our luggage with us all the time till we got to Santiago airport. We took the luggage with us to the airport hotel - see you got a reply from cocopico.   

I have to just add that we had no idea how much we would enjoy this tour and the Chilean countryside - we wished we had stayed for a few days to enjoy it all a bit more.   Next time! 

We saw this little guy having his daily snack of grapes - we were told the wineries encourage these small foxes as they take care of the rodents!  

DSC05031.jpg

DSC05042.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

Edited by Segmentersfloattheboat
  • Like 1

Early this year we were on the first segment of WC Miami to Buenos Aires. We had the same dilemma-where we will spend 12 hours. We had various answers from Viking and just before the cruise we were told that management on board is in contact with HQ and we will know the plan when on board. Meanwhile our TA arrange hotel room for us free of charge.

To make it shorter, Viking arranged a 4 hours boat excursion, after that Viking brought everyone to the Hilton where there were a few conference rooms reserved with refreshments. Buses were leaving to airport for the scheduled flights. Our large luggage was taken to the storage area in airport by Viking in the morning. All day was well organized and we had all info we needed all the time. Our TA switch our reservation for Hilton and we were able to have a shower, lunch, and a good nap :). Our flight was at 9:59 pm.  That day though rainy was a great finish to the great cruise 🚢 

51 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

Early this year we were on the first segment of WC Miami to Buenos Aires. We had the same dilemma-where we will spend 12 hours. We had various answers from Viking and just before the cruise we were told that management on board is in contact with HQ and we will know the plan when on board. Meanwhile our TA arrange hotel room for us free of charge.

To make it shorter, Viking arranged a 4 hours boat excursion, after that Viking brought everyone to the Hilton where there were a few conference rooms reserved with refreshments. Buses were leaving to airport for the scheduled flights. Our large luggage was taken to the storage area in airport by Viking in the morning. All day was well organized and we had all info we needed all the time. Our TA switch our reservation for Hilton and we were able to have a shower, lunch, and a good nap :). Our flight was at 9:59 pm.  That day though rainy was a great finish to the great cruise 🚢 

Your very encouraging experience is why I’m opting to wait to see what Viking does on the ground before making any definite plans for that day.  Maybe someone on the upcoming December cruise around Cape Horn can post their experience on departure in Santiago.  Thanks for your input!

Had this problem last Sept. in Asia- on the Mumbai to Bangkok segment.  Our flight was at 10pm. Our transfer was at 4pm. We were allowed to spend the day in any public place. on the ship. Still got to the airport way before check in desk opened so we could not use the Delta lounge. a very boring day.

Will be in the same boat in Dec. when we finish the Barcelona to Bueneos Aries cruise.  Flight is at 10pm again. Not sure what we are going to do this time.

We recently disembarked in Vancouver on 26th May from the Orion ( by tender but this mess has already been documented! ) we were allowed to remain on board until noon and were informed by guest services that Viking had arranged a local hotel to go to for a few hours and transfer to airport from the hotel at 3pm - our flight was at 9pm to London. They lied to us and we were taken straight to the airport with our luggage where we had to sit for hours as BA check in does not open until 2-3 hours prior to flight.

On 7/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, theduffys said:

Had this problem last Sept. in Asia- on the Mumbai to Bangkok segment.  Our flight was at 10pm. Our transfer was at 4pm. We were allowed to spend the day in any public place. on the ship. Still got to the airport way before check in desk opened so we could not use the Delta lounge. a very boring day.

Will be in the same boat in Dec. when we finish the Barcelona to Bueneos Aries cruise.  Flight is at 10pm again. Not sure what we are going to do this time.

Our flight out of BA is at 11:30 pm.  We have booked a tour through Tours By Locals for the day.  For an additional fee they will take us to the airport also.  We would have our luggage with us all day.  Having TBL drop us at the airport is our alternate plan if Viking does not provide a day room in BA.  I have seen people report that they do in some locations.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Our flight out of BA is at 11:30 pm.  We have booked a tour through Tours By Locals for the day.  For an additional fee they will take us to the airport also.  We would have our luggage with us all day.  Having TBL drop us at the airport is our alternate plan if Viking does not provide a day room in BA.  I have seen people report that they do in some locations.

What tour are you doing. Our problem is we spent 3 days in BA a few years ago and we saw all the regular tourist spots.  We love Tours by Locals by the way.

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you for this tip, Tayana. As you know, we are doing the Santiago to Buenos Aires trip before yours.  I have been wondering what to do that whole day before leaving EZE late at night.  This sounds like a good idea and use of time - and get tired for our long flight home to California!