Concert in Vienna - What to wear?

RTLS

Our first River cruise is coming up in September. Legendary Danube on Avalon. I know that the dress code for river cruising is quite casual but I think I read somewhere that a dressier outfit Including a jacket for men, might be needed for the concert in Vienna. Unfortunately I can't find the correct thread so would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has been to one of these concerts.

Thank you. 

I wouldn’t worry about what to wear. These concerts are tourist events and the seating is likely to be uncomfortable and the room overheated. If you wear what you would wear for dinner aboard ship you will be fine. 

• Like 2

Thank you both. If you had said that more formal wear was needed, I don't think we would book.

We attend the symphony a few times each season and we understand these performances are for tourists so may not be top notch. Are you glad that you went?

I seem to recall that on our Tauck river trip we were encouraged to dress up. Most men had on sport coats BUT they also came off part way through the evening as it was quite warm in the palace. It's a very nice event but also, to me, feels a bit long and drawn-out. Eat a little, watch some entertainment, eat a bit more, watch some entertainment, etc. Or at least that's how it went the first time I did one of these. Some great singing and dancing. Many dancers were from the Vienna State Ballet and so it is high quality. So as to the entertainment being more 'geared for tourists', I'd say that while that may be true it is also very well done. To me, it's just something I wouldn't feel the need to do again having done it twice now. It just has that sort of 'stuffy', un-relaxed feel to it that I wasn't really looking for on a river trip. All that being said, if this is to be your first Vienna evening experience, I'd say go for it. 

Most reports of these tourist Viennese concerts mention the over-heated hall.  I would not wear a sport coat – would bring a flannel shirt to put over my short-sleeve golf shirt if I got cold [more likely on the way back to the ship].

We have a attended a couple in Vienna with AMA/APT in the Liechtenstein city palace, beautiful building.

On both occasions it was Nov/Dec so cool weather.

People wore jackets/coats but these were handed into the cloakroom prior to the concert.

Before the performance we were given drinks in another room.

Yes you can dress up or not as others have said.

Other venues may be used and have heard it can be hot and crowded so dress for comfort.

Enjoy your trip we love vienna. 

I am not interested in going to the concert and would much prefer wondering around the streets while the group attend the show and then meet up with them after the concert to get the transport back to the shop. Has any one else done that?

9 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Try to keep the armless T-Shirts, shorts and flip-flops to a minimum, after all Vienna is an UNESCo site (well for the time being).

We are a little too old for T-Shirts, shorts and flip-flops!

1 hour ago, RTLS said:

Can I politely suggest that when you are quoting a post, that you keep your comments (like mine here) in the section below (or above) the box with the line to the left of it. (The only time not to do it is if you want to respond to particular parts of a post, and you should put your comments in a different colour so that it is obvious where your comments are.)

As you see, when I quote your post I get an empty box, because your post was in the box of the previous poster.

5 hours ago, AliceSprings said:

I am not interested in going to the concert and would much prefer wondering around the streets while the group attend the show and then meet up with them after the concert to get the transport back to the shop. Has any one else done that?

On some cruises the concert in Vienna is an optional paid excursion.

Ask the cruise director if a ride on the bus to the concert can be done without attending the concert. Basically you are free to do as you please time permitting.

Public transport is easy in Vienna so you could do that or use a taxi into town to/from the ship.

If you can organise extra days pre/post in Vienna it is a wonderful city beautiful gardens, markets and a trip into the hills scenic and worthwhile.