Probably because I’m excited about my cruise...

Sersee

Is why I keep coming back and harassing you all with questions 😂

Im starting to get my stuff together. I know there are always questions about suggesting things to bring that you might not think about!  I love those suggestions and would appreciate any you guys think of! I have poopurri ready!

Im bringing a little battery operated votives for light . I have to bring a fan so Think it will be battery. I have my towel holders, magnetic hooks and over the door hanger. I will also be that dumb vacationer with a lanyard lol. 

We we are still debating on Cheers.... but leaning toward it since we are drinkers.

We have never cruised. I’m bringing ginger pills . Are Seabands something i should consider?

I have all my plugs ready. I have a multi usb plug that will go in my converter... thanks to Cheng.  I am wondering though if the one i already have would work for my daughter? I’m not sure about the surge stuff. Here is a pic of it. 

8FD5D0FB-9188-455B-A948-462488D255EA.png

42ACED0A-7894-4E48-BC28-00353C60C40C.png

That charger should be fine.
I didn't see anything on it that said "surge protector", just one that showed it gives the correct power output for the chargers hooked to it.

1 minute ago, jbethel11 said:

Bring 2 bottles of wine and 12 packs of sodas/carton-beverages!

Yes!
Get a cheese plate and fruit plate from the MDR for desert and have them set it up so you can take it back to the room.
We love sitting in the room with a glass of wine and cheese and fruit, relaxing!

• Like 2

I wake up several times a night and really like my battery-operated back-lit clock.  It's very small and I place it so that I can easily see it from the bed. I like to be able to see the time without reaching for my phone and take it on every cruise.

I've cruised many times and still use a lanyard, so you definitely won't be the only one.  I also bring sun screen, insect repellant, individually packaged hand sanitizer wipes, and a small cross body bag for port days.  I keep plenty of bills for tips that I use on port days when going on excursions.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chervil said:

Yes!
Get a cheese plate and fruit plate from the MDR for desert and have them set it up so you can take it back to the room.
We love sitting in the room with a glass of wine and cheese and fruit, relaxing!

I never thought of that, what a great idea!

• Like 1

I have recently added a small pop up basket for the cabin.  I find it keeps things neater for me.  I buy it from the Dollar Store.

I also pack a pop up hamper,  I keep it in a closet.  I find it easier than having to keep putting it in my suitcase or in a trash bag.  

• Like 2

If you're sharing the cabin with someone who snores- don't forget the earplugs!! You might also want to put together a small, travel size first aid kit with things like pain reliever, decongestant, antacid tablets (Tums) and a few bandaids. Don't go overboard bringing your whole medicine cabinet, but a few essentials are always nice to have vs paying the inflated prices on the ship.

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

If you have several people using the shower (especially females) the shelf in the shower stall is tiny... this last cruise I bought this item on Amazon for about $3... you can hang it on the handicapped rail in the shower and put your extra shampoos/conditioners/bath gel/scrubby in it... it was so handy!!! FYI if you search for 'Hanging Mesh Holder Clothespin Basket Bag Kitchen Bathroom Storage Organizer' you'll find it.

image.png.bc78a73842e8da3d38e30c7397df822a.png

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree with the suggestion about OTC meds.  You wouldn't believe how much markup there is in the shops.  

Don't forget the sunscreen 😎  I am prone to seasickness and I highly recommend Bonine.  Take it once a day starting the day before you board the ship.  Supposed to be non-drowsy, but Tylenol makes me drowsy, so I take mine at night.  If we are tendering, I take an extra pill that morning.  I never feel the slightest bit queasy.  Also, if you decide to wait and see whether you actually do get seasick, green apples are awesome.  My 5 y/o grand would get queasy at dinner, and the apples helped him to quickly feel better.

Enjoy your cruise and don't stress too much.  

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wake up several times a night and really like my battery-operated back-lit clock.  It's very small and I place it so that I can easily see it from the bed. I like to be able to see the time without reaching for my phone and take it on every cruise.

I've cruised many times and still use a lanyard, so you definitely won't be the only one.  I also bring sun screen, insect repellant, individually packaged hand sanitizer wipes, and a small cross body bag for port days.  I keep plenty of bills for tips that I use on port days when going on excursions.

Didn’t think of a clock!! Thank you!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

If you have several people using the shower (especially females) the shelf in the shower stall is tiny... this last cruise I bought this item on Amazon for about $3... you can hang it on the handicapped rail in the shower and put your extra shampoos/conditioners/bath gel/scrubby in it... it was so handy!!! FYI if you search for 'Hanging Mesh Holder Clothespin Basket Bag Kitchen Bathroom Storage Organizer' you'll find it.

That’s an awesome idea! I am definitely bringing my shampoo and conditioner’

15 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

I totally agree with the suggestion about OTC meds.  You wouldn't believe how much markup there is in the shops.  

Don't forget the sunscreen 😎  I am prone to seasickness and I highly recommend Bonine.  Take it once a day starting the day before you board the ship.  Supposed to be non-drowsy, but Tylenol makes me drowsy, so I take mine at night.  If we are tendering, I take an extra pill that morning.  I never feel the slightest bit queasy.  Also, if you decide to wait and see whether you actually do get seasick, green apples are awesome.  My 5 y/o grand would get queasy at dinner, and the apples helped him to quickly feel better.

I have no idea if we get sea sick.  I am a drinker though so didn’t want to take something before and mix. Might give my kids this though!  Do you take it the whole time or just the first couple of days? We aren’t tendering so that’s good. I have been on pontoons, speedboats and ferries and have been fine. I’m so hoping  i will be fine on the cruise. This is my biggest worry 

18 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

Sometimes that queasy feeling is from constipation so apples really do help for both.  Raisin bran for breakfast helps.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I never saw this one before, but I like it!  I just bought one!  I can keep all my hair products away from my boys and husbands!!

• Like 1

I know you're just joking around, but you're not a "dumb vacationer" for using a lanyard, and don't let anyone else make you feel that way, because some will try. I'm guessing you said that because you've probably seen some of those comments. Sure, I could put my card in my pocket and the chances of me losing it are slim to none, but I like having it on a lanyard. It's used a lot on board and it's right there, handy when I need it. My lanyard has a quick-release clip on the end, so I can just pop my card off, swipe it, and snap it back on without even looking. Don't let others tell you how to handle your own vacation based on how they handle theirs.

It looks like you've got your charging devices pretty much planned out. I prefer a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) instead of a power strip or multi-USB plug of some kind. I take the extension cord plus a 3-way adapter. They just turn one outlet into three. That plug the 3 outlets on the extension cord give us plenty. I take my portable fan and having the long extension cord lets me put the fan right by the bed...for air and white noise. Or to charge my phone by the bed; although, some ships have built-in USB ports next to the bed or in the bedside lamps. The cord is often long enough to stretch to the bathroom so we can put the fan in there after a hot shower to air it out while we get ready. Then all I do is fold the cord up and put it somewhere out of the way when we're not in the room so it's not in the stewards way.

If you have a mini-fridge in your cabin, it'll be inside of a wooden cabinet. Prop open the door to that cabinet when you can, even if it's just part way. It gives the fridge better ventilation and usually keeps it cooler.

We bought a travel clothesline like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfbkHw5iyca9ZfJ7OZ4Bp

It's made of bungee cord and has all those spring clamps that can be adjusted for width. We hang it in the shower and it works well. If you just use the retractable clothesline that's built into the shower, run that line through your clothes (like through the arms of a shirt, for example) instead of draping them over the line. That way they're not doubled up over the line and can air out better. We also bought a mesh shower caddy, but instead of a single pouch like the one pictured above, it has 6 pockets. We really like that. There's all different kinds on Amazon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not read your postings, but I'm glad to read that you are getting "excited" about cruising!  I got "excited" over 25 years ago, and have been cruising quite often since.

My suggestion, if it has not been posted. Make a list of what you want/think you need on this trip (may be too expensive to purchase on the ship) to take.  While putting the items in your luggage, mark each one off.  I do this up to the last item (these are items like medicine, 1 change of clothes/shoes, cosmetics) I am putting in my carry on luggage that I take on the plane.  This way, by marking each item off, I normally don't forget what I "should" have taken with me. 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sersee said:

I have no idea if we get sea sick.  I am a drinker though so didn’t want to take something before and mix. Might give my kids this though!  Do you take it the whole time or just the first couple of days? We aren’t tendering so that’s good. I have been on pontoons, speedboats and ferries and have been fine. I’m so hoping  i will be fine on the cruise. This is my biggest worry 

I take it the whole time.  It's not the rocking of the boat that makes me sick--it's seeing the churning of the water.  I'm fine unless I look overboard and then it's all over but the crying LOL  I get sick on ferries and smaller boats as well, but out of the 12 family members that I have cruised with, it's only me and one of my grandsons who have any issues.  So the odds are in your favor.

Not sure how old your kids are, but they do make children's Dramamine and non-drowsy Dramamine.  Not sure about Bonine.

4 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

If you just use the retractable clothesline that's built into the shower, run that line through your clothes (like through the arms of a shirt, for example) instead of draping them over the line. That way they're not doubled up over the line and can air out better. 

That's a great tip.  DH and DD will think I'm a genius when I tell them a better way to get their swimwear to dry 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I know you're just joking around, but you're not a "dumb vacationer" for using a lanyard, and don't let anyone else make you feel that way, because some will try. I'm guessing you said that because you've probably seen some of those comments. Sure, I could put my card in my pocket and the chances of me losing it are slim to none, but I like having it on a lanyard. It's used a lot on board and it's right there, handy when I need it. My lanyard has a quick-release clip on the end, so I can just pop my card off, swipe it, and snap it back on without even looking. Don't let others tell you how to handle your own vacation based on how they handle theirs.

It looks like you've got your charging devices pretty much planned out. I prefer a long extension cord (9-10 ft.) instead of a power strip or multi-USB plug of some kind. I take the extension cord plus a 3-way adapter. They just turn one outlet into three. That plug the 3 outlets on the extension cord give us plenty. I take my portable fan and having the long extension cord lets me put the fan right by the bed...for air and white noise. Or to charge my phone by the bed; although, some ships have built-in USB ports next to the bed or in the bedside lamps. The cord is often long enough to stretch to the bathroom so we can put the fan in there after a hot shower to air it out while we get ready. Then all I do is fold the cord up and put it somewhere out of the way when we're not in the room so it's not in the stewards way.

If you have a mini-fridge in your cabin, it'll be inside of a wooden cabinet. Prop open the door to that cabinet when you can, even if it's just part way. It gives the fridge better ventilation and usually keeps it cooler.

We bought a travel clothesline like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfbkHw5iyca9ZfJ7OZ4Bp

It's made of bungee cord and has all those spring clamps that can be adjusted for width. We hang it in the shower and it works well. If you just use the retractable clothesline that's built into the shower, run that line through your clothes (like through the arms of a shirt, for example) instead of draping them over the line. That way they're not doubled up over the line and can air out better. We also bought a mesh shower caddy, but instead of a single pouch like the one pictured above, it has 6 pockets. We really like that. There's all different kinds on Amazon.

You’re right...  I did say that from things I have read.  I won’t have pockets and I would lose my head if it wasn’t attached. Can’t tell you how many times I have lost my keys which I know have hooked to a lanyard. 

Im bringing an extension cord for sure because my husband has a Cpap. So will pack it in with his equipment. I guess I could take my chances and pack another for my fan. I would rather have a plug in fan but was nervous about my extension cord getting take and then would be hard to use the fan

im using the European adapter since they are so cheap as plugging a usb hub into it for all the electronics. Then a plug like you were saying for my hair dryer etc. i just have to figure it which kind is allowed. 

4 hours ago, beshears said:

I have not read your postings, but I'm glad to read that you are getting "excited" about cruising!  I got "excited" over 25 years ago, and have been cruising quite often since.

My suggestion, if it has not been posted. Make a list of what you want/think you need on this trip (may be too expensive to purchase on the ship) to take.  While putting the items in your luggage, mark each one off.  I do this up to the last item (these are items like medicine, 1 change of clothes/shoes, cosmetics) I am putting in my carry on luggage that I take on the plane.  This way, by marking each item off, I normally don't forget what I "should" have taken with me. 🙂

I am so excited!!! A little nervous about my family getting seasick since they are concerned. It’s the first one for all of us. 

Oh I am a list maker for sure! Glad I’m not the only one!

2 hours ago, keywest1 said:

I take it the whole time.  It's not the rocking of the boat that makes me sick--it's seeing the churning of the water.  I'm fine unless I look overboard and then it's all over but the crying LOL  I get sick on ferries and smaller boats as well, but out of the 12 family members that I have cruised with, it's only me and one of my grandsons who have any issues.  So the odds are in your favor.

Not sure how old your kids are, but they do make children's Dramamine and non-drowsy Dramamine.  Not sure about Bonine.

I think this is my only concern. My kids are older ... 21,17 and 15. We have no idea how any of us will be. None of my family gets motion sickness or has any trouble riding in cars. My older two ride all those crazy roller coasters without issue.  

The kids , I could try starting before.  We were more nervous with the drinking age adults. I was afraid to mix even non drowsy Dramamine? But if I get sick,  I won’t be drinking anyway. 

Has as anyone had luck with ginger pills? I have heard good things

This is what works for us when packing.  We buy a box of the two gallon zip lock baggies.  We pack socks, underwear, t-shirts etc. in them and squeeze all of the air out of them that's possible.  Saves space in the suitcases and when we get in our cabin, just toss the bag on a shelf or in a drawer.  Keeps them all together.

If you have any prescription medicine, make sure you put it in your carry-on so that it stays with you.  The same with anything of great value like cameras, etc.  

I had to laugh at the lanyard comment.  We still use lanyards and fanny packs.  Both are frowned upon by the "elite".  I really don't care what the "elite" thinks.  I'm going to be using both.  

Hope you have a great cruise.  Just remember that if something isn't going right, don't stew about it.  Go to Guest Services and get it corrected right away.  So many people will just shrug it off, then come back on here after the cruise and complain about it rather than get it corrected on the ship.  

Keep in mind that unless you purchase FTTF, your cabin won't be available until 1:30.  If you board the ship before that, go up to the Lido Deck and have lunch at one of the several places available.  Right before sail away is the muster drill.  You didn't mention which ship you will be on.  On some, it's held outside by the lifeboats.  On others, it's held inside in the theater or dining rooms.  For all of our cruises so far, the ship has pulled out right at the end of the muster.  Your Sail and Sign cards will have which muster station you are assigned to.  Once inside your cabin, on the inside of the door is a layout of where each muster location is.  The card will also have your dining assignment on them.

Each of you will have a folio number assigned to you.  On most ships, you can check your spending on the TV.  Every time you purchase something, it will show up under your folio number.  Don't panic if you check your husbands folio number.  It will show all of the charges for your cabin, not just his.  

You mentioned you are taking your kids.  When it comes time to shower, if you have a son, your husband and son can use the showers in the gym to free up the shower for you and daughter if you have one.  

Keep coming back on here with any questions you may have.   Seasoned cruises love helping new cruisers.

• Thanks 1

I would also like to recommend Bonine to prevent seasickness.  I take one every night just before going to bed and I haven’t been seasick in years - even in very rocky waters.  I start the night before the cruise and continue throughout the trip.   I am prone to motion sickness and Bonine does the trick.  

I hope you enjoy your cruise!  I am sure it will be big fun for all!  

You mentioned that you have been on smaller water crafts and been fine.  You will probably be fine on the ship.  Ginger is good to have and it won't hurt to buy a pack of sea bands.  Sometimes DH and DD will each wear one and will be fine.   Sounds like you are going in with a great attitude and that counts for a lot!!  Enjoy your cruise!!

11 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Bring 2 bottles of wine and 12 packs of sodas/carton-beverages!

If you do cheers, no need for the soda really, since all sodas and beverages are included. However, if you're cruising out of Galveston then bring at least a bottle of wine for the first night since cheers doesn't take effect until the second day. You can open it at MDR dinner and take the rest back to your room afterward.