Almost Live: Maasdam - Seattle to Sydney 2019

Btimmer

44 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Catching up with your interesting reports, thank you.

Where were the cameras that were stolen?

In Wewak, the poorest of the three ports.  In one case, the fellow's cellphone and camera were pickpocketed; in another case, a lady's iPhone was taken out of her hands in a crowd situation.

5 hours ago, Btimmer said:

In Wewak, the poorest of the three ports.  In one case, the fellow's cellphone and camera were pickpocketed; in another case, a lady's iPhone was taken out of her hands in a crowd situation.

Thank you for your reply, shame that it happened.

You must have some enthusiastic passengers aboard.

I wonder if they will again try presenting the full house programs two times to reach everyone?

I assume that the only talks repeated on TV are for the ports and shore excursions?

Thanks again for bringing us along.

Barbara

None of the lectures, port talks or the like are  repeated on TV and haven't been for several years.

It would be good if they broadcast them to another public area like the Crow's Nest or Ocean Bar or Mix or Wajang Theatre.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Btimmer said:

None of the lectures, port talks or the like are  repeated on TV and haven't been for several years.

We were told on the Maasdam that they tried showing them later on cabin TVs, but then hardly anyone came to the live lectures.

Enjoyed reading both of your Solomon Islands blog posts.  It is nice to see that HAL has learned to honor five star mariners in the tendering process.

Tim, after the Maasdam left Fremantle 6 Jan 2019, Jack & I were given summary papers for the previous segment.  “List of Species sited on Sydney to Fremantle Voyage” and “Resources List Australia”.  Then after leaving Singapore 26 Jan 2019 we received “List of Species sited on Fremantle – Singapore Voyage” and “Guest Presenters suggested Books & Websites”.

Are similar papers still given out after each Maasdam segment?

More important to me, did they give out papers like this after we left the ship on 15 Feb 2019 (Singapore to Sri Lanka, etc. and back to Singapore) and you remained aboard?   

Thanks,

Barbara

That is a shame.

We had some extraordinary Australian EXC In-Depth Presenters, who really went the extra mile with us.

Part of me wants to cobble together another list of critters seen or living before and after Sri Lanka.  And the rest of me hopes that the papers will be resumed for the benefit of future Maasdam adventurers.

Barbara

If I might ask, how is the internet connectivity in your cabin and around the ship? We're going to board in Auckland and be in a vista suite in the aft area for 40 days and have purchased the unlimited Premium internet package. We understand the bandwidth via satellite can be slow at times, that's understandable. But everyone's device (e.g., iPhone, iPad, minicomputer, etc.) must first connect to a local area router before it can do anything. I guess that's the basic question. How is the router connectivity in your cabin or is it nonexistent to the point you need to find a "hotspot" in public areas around the ship?

In the past on HAL's smaller ships (1+ years ago) prior to HAL implementing their new unlimited packages, there was no connectivity in the vista suites, let alone on the balcony, and we had to go to either the Explorers Lounge during the day or the Crows Nest after 9 pm to be able to download and send simple emails in a reasonable time frame.

We were recently on the Maasdam in an inside cabin on Deck 3 midship. The internet was fine inside our cabin. We had the middle price package and it seemed to work much better than in the past for email download. I noticed there was a cone on the hallway ceiling near our cabin. I think this is the wifi signal ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottishMaid said:

We were recently on the Maasdam in an inside cabin on Deck 3 midship. The internet was fine inside our cabin. We had the middle price package and it seemed to work much better than in the past for email download. I noticed there was a cone on the hallway ceiling near our cabin. I think this is the wifi signal ??

Thanks! That is good news to hear. Hopefully others are having the same experience!

Ken,

Scottish Maid was on deck 6 (Promenade) but I don't think it matters much which cabin you are in.  We've been on the Maasdam for 5 months over the past year in various cabins on decks 4, 5, and 6 (2 different rooms at opposite ends of the ship this cruise) and have had good reception in each cabin.  The only dead spot I've found is in the Wajang Theatre.  We also use a travel router in order to share the signal with my wife and I.

We also use the premium package so we can access video and have 500mb of daily data, but I don't recall being throttled for excess use of data.  The speeds aren't blazing fast, but at least we don't waste time in port waiting for WIFI.  

HTH,

Tim

16 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Ken,

Scottish Maid was on deck 6 (Promenade) but I don't think it matters much which cabin you are in.  We've been on the Maasdam for 5 months over the past year in various cabins on decks 4, 5, and 6 (2 different rooms at opposite ends of the ship this cruise) and have had good reception in each cabin.  The only dead spot I've found is in the Wajang Theatre.  We also use a travel router in order to share the signal with my wife and I.

We also use the premium package so we can access video and have 500mb of daily data, but I don't recall being throttled for excess use of data.  The speeds aren't blazing fast, but at least we don't waste time in port waiting for WIFI.  

HTH,

Tim

Thanks Tim! My DW will love hearing this! If my might ask, what is a travel router and what brand is it? Sounds like a cool thing to have if two people can gain access through one shipboard account!

10 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks Tim! My DW will love hearing this! If my might ask, what is a travel router and what brand is it? Sounds like a cool thing to have if two people can gain access through one shipboard account!

A travel router is a device about the size of a computer mouse and costs about $30US from Amazon.  I am currently using a Ravpower which has a built in battery but also have an unpowered  Hootoo as a backup.

I have a full write up on my blog.  Just click on my profile picture and it will bring up a list of my blogs and look for the one labeled Travel Router.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you the address.

10 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

A travel router is a device about the size of a computer mouse and costs about $30US from Amazon.  I am currently using a Ravpower which has a built in battery but also have an unpowered  Hootoo as a backup.

I have a full write up on my blog.  Just click on my profile picture and it will bring up a list of my blogs and look for the one labeled Travel Router.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you the address.

I will definitely check it out and thanks again for all the info you’ve passed along on your cruise. 

45 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Tim, I got to your blog page via the link when you first started this thread, but I can't find the one on Travel Router. I saw about 31 of your blogs, just not this one.

For some reason, my write-up got deleted. If you Google "Using a travel router" it will give you lots of information including links to YouTube videos on the topic.  If after reading that you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.  

Setting them up can be a bit fiddly, but they really work well for sharing a connection.  I'm currently connected using mine and I have an iPad also connected.

Tim

4 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

For some reason, my write-up got deleted. If you Google "Using a travel router" it will give you lots of information including links to YouTube videos on the topic.  If after reading that you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.  

Setting them up can be a bit fiddly, but they really work well for sharing a connection.  I'm currently connected using mine and I have an iPad also connected.

Tim

No problem Tim. We did some research and now have a RavPower File Hub Plus on order from Amazon. Thanks again for all your help and happy sailing!!

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No problem Tim. We did some research and now have a RavPower File Hub Plus on order from Amazon. Thanks again for all your help and happy sailing!!

We are boarding the Maasdam In October for 47 days. I had never heard of this device before. Always a pain with only one internet connection. I also purchase one myself.   Thanks

• Like 1