Disembarkation San Francisco and walk to BART

Petoonya

We're disembarking at Pier 27 and headed (maybe walking?) to BART. We have luggage and ok walking a mile with it. Saturday morning arrival and shouldn't be quite so busy.

Can anyone give me walking directions to BART?

The nearest is going to be Embarcadero-- decent hike at just over a mile. Wont be the distance in SF with luggage that will kill you, it'll be the hills. Personally I would just UberX from the pier to wherever you are going but I guess if you are intrepid walkers its possible to do it, although wont be fun., 

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

San Francisco isn't known for the widest sidewalks or low curbs.  Walking would be fine.  Dragging luggage not so much.  Saturday morning could be OK but you might have to contend with tourist and homeless.  

Another piece of false, stereotype laden info. Much of the walk will be along the Embacadero (a large boulevard) which has pretty wide (like 20-25 foot wide) sidewalks. Your average residential sidewalk is 3 or 4 feet. Much of the downtown area, which is the entire walk from Pier 27 to the Embarcadero BART Station, is not likely to be under 10 feet wide.

Curb heights and ramps for disabled access are set by legal standards, although the implementation of these standards is still phasing in. So yes, you will probably have some standard 6 or 8 inch curbs to step off.

Homeless are hit and miss. But chances are good they will not be any sort of impediment.

• Like 1

I guess that's mostly correct if the entire shortest route was along the Embarcadero, which it isn't.  I just walked part of that route off the Embarcadero and the sidewalks might be ten feet.  But that's a little narrow with luggage and fellow pedestriations and shopkeepers hosing down the nighttime leftovers from the homeless.   

As you leave the pier turn left and walk about a mile to the ferry building ( huge clock tower on top).  That is Market St.  Cross over and walk up Market St. one short block and you will see the entrance to BART.  You will have to fight your luggage going down stairs to the BART station.  There  are machines there to buy tickets.

16 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I guess that's mostly correct if the entire shortest route was along the Embarcadero, which it isn't.  I just walked part of that route off the Embarcadero and the sidewalks might be ten feet.  But that's a little narrow with luggage and fellow pedestriations and shopkeepers hosing down the nighttime leftovers from the homeless.   

You are technically correct but for the OP the simplest route would be to just follow the Embarcadero to the ferry building and then turn up market to the BART station .  Yes it is a slight bit further but needs no mapping and puts you on the wide sidewalks of the Embarcadero. 

For those worried about the hills of SF you would be going from sea level at the port to sea level at the ferry building.  That appears to be a rise of roughly 0 feet.  Your biggest rise or fall will be going down into the BART station.

• Like 1

OK, I've lived here almost 20 years, so I feel like I can give a little guidance on this! The walk from Pier 27 to the Embarcadero is flat and on super-wide sidewalks. For the average person, it's easily doable. There is very little issue with walking those flat and well-maintained sidewalks, even early in the AM after disembarkation. Lots of locals exercise along the Embarcadero sidewalk (the side along the Bay). Just make sure your luggage rolls or you have light bags. Heavier, non-rolling bags may be a challenge. And if you walk to the Ferry Building, you can stop and peruse the Saturday Farmer's Market, which is simply amazing.

Another option would be to take the E or F-line streetcars from the pier to the Embarcadero and then transfer to BART (via a one-block walk).

As another local, who worked in downtown SF for over a decade (right by the Embarcadero), I concur with the others above who said that following the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building and then turning right onto Market Street, where there will be a BART entrance, is the easiest. And it's completely flat, and the sidewalk is wide there. If you don't mind the distance it's completely doable. 

Edited by Dani24
  • Like 1

Wow.....thanks so much everyone. I think this will be very manageable. I'm pretty familiar with SF but not that area. Everyone's guidance is very appreciated especially you residents and Dani who worked down there.

On 7/11/2019 at 12:28 PM, Dani24 said:

As another local, who worked in downtown SF for over a decade (right by the Embarcadero), I concur with the others above who said that following the Embarcadero to the Ferry Building and then turning right onto Market Street, where there will be a BART entrance, is the easiest. And it's completely flat, and the sidewalk is wide there. If you don't mind the distance it's completely doable. 

I also always forget the Google maps is and should always be my best friend traveling.

Edited by Petoonya