Refundable vs. Non-Refundable Deposit

Jimbo59

Celebrity offers bookings with a non-refundable deposit or a booking with a refundable deposit and extra cost perks. The perks for the cruise I am considering cost $630 per person. The cruise is over a year in the future. I don’t want the extra perks.

Should I just wait out Celebrity until past final payment date, or will Celebrity offer a booking option with a refundable deposit without the perks?

Does anyone have experience as to how far in advance of sail date will Celebrity offer the option of a refundable deposit, with no perks, booking?

The price may never go as low as the nonrefundable deposit prices.  

I looked at it in a different direction.  The price difference for the cabin was $810.

On a nine day cruise, $300 OBC gives me $270 to cover my gratuities and $30 will go towards specialty restaurant package.  I value drinks package to me at $400 ($22 per person per day) even though it retails for $55 per day per person.  There is no way I'd pay $990, which is the cost without the perk.  

The value to me of the two perks is $700 and I would pay $810 for non-refundable.  We are 16 months away and it's not worth a $110 savings to put my deposit at risk.  

If the OP has a $810 difference in price and the perks are really worth $630, why not book the cruise with the refundable and live with the $180 price difference, knowing you can still take advantage of price reductions down the line or cancel before final payment?  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

The price may never go as low as the nonrefundable deposit prices.  

I looked at it in a different direction.  The price difference for the cabin was $810.

On a nine day cruise, $300 OBC gives me $270 to cover my gratuities and $30 will go towards specialty restaurant package.  I value drinks package to me at $400 ($22 per person per day) even though it retails for $55 per day per person.  There is no way I'd pay $990, which is the cost without the perk.  

The value to me of the two perks is $700 and I would pay $810 for non-refundable.  We are 16 months away and it's not worth a $110 savings to put my deposit at risk.  

If the OP has a $810 difference in price and the perks are really worth $630, why not book the cruise with the refundable and live with the $180 price difference, knowing you can still take advantage of price reductions down the line or cancel before final payment?  Am I missing something?

Drink packages are only worth it if you drink more than one or two a day. For me it is not worth it. In my case the perks for two people would cost $1260.

Edited by Jimbo59

We only started sailing Celebrity around 2017. We were flexible in terms of timing, cabin location and itinerary.... so for us booking last minute (within 1-4 months) has worked well. We always enter being over 55, state and loyalty info to see if there is a better price. I check some large online TAs and the Celebrity site.... usually track prices and sales over time for any particular cruise and cabin grade... when price gets to a good point... then I book. Usually check for sale around major holidays. Now I will say that there are a few itineraries (longer ones) early next year where veranda cabins are sold out... but they just did a 2 for 1 deposit promo... so now I will wait until we get closer to the 90 day mark to see if there are any openings...if not I will look for a shorter cruise as we approach the spring.   BUT if you don't have flexibility, have a strong preference for cabin type and location or a specific itinerery or ship... you might want to book well in advance and then watch prices over time...  Not sure if this would work... but you could book the refundable with perks.. and when you get close to 90 day period see if there is a cheaper nonrefundable fare without the perks.. that might work. Or sometimes they have a one perk offer...still refundable... that way you could use perk for gratuities...since that is essentially something you will pay in any event. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo59 said:

Celebrity offers bookings with a non-refundable deposit or a booking with a refundable deposit and extra cost perks. The perks for the cruise I am considering cost $630 per person. The cruise is over a year in the future. I don’t want the extra perks.

Should I just wait out Celebrity until past final payment date, or will Celebrity offer a booking option with a refundable deposit without the perks?

Does anyone have experience as to how far in advance of sail date will Celebrity offer the option of a refundable deposit, with no perks, booking?

I you wait past final payment it will automatically be Non refundable deposit as you will have to pay in full. 

I will say this about Celebrity and the higher prices and non refundable deposits, ever since they started I have been getting emails several times a day with price drops after final payment. I never received many offers before. They must not realize that their demographic skewing older and ranking high on the loyalty tier don't want a drink package. I'm not there yet so sometimes even at the higher refundable deposit price it is still a better deal than what other lines are charging for similar itineraries.