Excursions - Book in advance or onboard?

As I have done many ports more than once, I typical don't do excursions (or even get off the ship sometimes.) My upcoming cruise has all "new to me" ports and I want to explore. Is there any benefit to booking in advance, or can I just decide once onboard? Do I run the risk of an excursion being sold out? 

If you are booking before the cruise, with the cruise line, prices will be less then. 

If it is a popular excursion, they can sell out, and although they can put you on a waitlist, there is no guarantee you will get it. 

Have a backup plan with an independent tour

• Like 1

We always book independent tours. Usually much less $, sometimes as much as half what cruise lines charge for same excursion. Look into reputable, well reviewed excursions offered through various sites. If hundreds of cruisers gave it 5 stars you know it's going to be great!

• Like 1

I dont know when your cruise is but if you have booked your excursions, keep looking at your reservation cruise planner to check for price drops. If you see you excursion is cheaper say in a couple of months from now, cancel online then rebook. I do this all the time. During cyber monday last year I saved a lot of money on 2 excursions in Lisbon and cadiz.

Another idea is to research the areas to see what you would like and then find a tour operator. Read all reviews to see if they are ok. Planning excursions are my favorite part of cruising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

Another idea is to research the areas to see what you would like and then find a tour operator. Read all reviews to see if they are ok. Planning excursions are my favorite part of cruising.

We've found this method to give the best excursions.

• Like 1

As for excursions selling out, I dont normally book shore excursions. Only if it's the only way to get somewhere and back (ie st Martin to st. Bart...cozumel to the mainland of Mexico) without worrying about missing boat. I dont really know if excursions sell out pre cruise. I do know they are much cheaper then when you board. We will be in lisbon in November and I have been fascinated with the story of fatima. Several on our roll call arranged multiple trips. I was able to get the ship tour for $72 a person and that was after cancelling 2x for price drops. 

My point as before is, research the ports. Look at what interests you. Sometimes its something as simple as seeing a certain castle or a beach. Look for ways to get there. It sounds like you've been to a lot of ports so this must be exciting to see new places. It's why I will never stop cruising. 

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

I have done it both ways....if it is an excursion that you really want to do, ask on these boards about it.  I did this for an island tour in St. Maarten on my last cruise.  I was looking to book it through Royal, however many on these boards recommended a private tour, so I went ahead and booked it- Bernard Tours.  They were fabulous and had a great day!  I have also booked excursions ahead of time with Royal and also while onboard, due to adult kids wanting to do something at the last minute.  I can attest that my private tour was much cheaper than the Royal tour and it included more stops and duration of tour was longer......

• Like 1

And excursions can definitely sell out pre-cruise.  One of us got the last slot on an excursion and could not add the spouse. We got on a waiting list but to no avail. No spots were added and no one cancelled.