Departing From Miami (I have ???).

ch27088

Hello everyone:

It's been quite a long minute since I've been on Cruise Critic, so if these questions were asked before, please forgive me.   

1.  I hear that the Miami port is so much better than it was before.  Can you tell me if the Miami Port actually pays attention to the departure that we select, or not?

2.  This is my first cruise where I am flying to the port.  All other cruises I've driven, or taken the train.  I saw a video a few years back where Miami has a check-in kiosk for Carnival?  Do you know if that is option of checking in at the airport is still available?

I am cruising without my family for the first time, but meeting up with an old friend of mine from our Air Force days, and we will cruise together.  One of our stops will be the D.R.  We really  wanted to go, but we are still concerned about the deaths there.  For now, our plan is to stay on the ship and maybe do a spa day, or just lounge by the pool.  This is for the cruise on the Horizon in April 2020.  How does everyone else feel?

Thanks in advance.

You don't actually pick a departure time. Are you referring to your arrival time, or check-in time, that you choose during your online check-in process from your Carnival account? Yes, the ports do enforce these arrival times. You won't be allowed in the cruise terminal until your arrival time (or after). That is, unless you're priority, such as Platinum, Diamond, or FTTF. If you're priority, you're allowed in the terminal before your chosen time.

I don't know about check-in kiosks at MIA, but I've never seen anyone mention them.

There are at least four different threads discussing what has been going on in the Dominican Republic. That topic of discussion has quieted down in the last week or two, but you can search for those threads if you'd like to read what others have said. They're probably all within the first 10 pages of the Carnival forums. In my opinion, there's nothing to worry about, but it's entirely up to you and what makes you feel comfortable. The deaths occurred at resorts near La Romana. Nothing has happened to cruise passengers. Carnival's other port, Amber Cove located just outside Puerto Plata, is much farther away from where the deaths occurred. Amber Cove is a private port complex owned by Carnival where only cruise passengers are allowed. It is a secured port. But even if you decided to leave the port, there hasn't been any trouble with cruise passengers in that area. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Thank you Organized Chaos, I really appreciated your responses.  I am going to search the boards regarding the Dominican Republic, and see what everyone is saying.  I know things have quieted down a bit, but still nervous about going into the D.R.  I'll continue to watch the News for more information.

Thank you again.

Yes, you can check in for the cruise at the airport.  I used this option last year and it was fantastic.  You go through the same process that you would in the terminal, with the exception of handing off your luggage.  I had also prearranged for Carnival transportation from the airport to the terminal.

When you arrive at the port, you will give your luggage to the porter.  You'll then be directed to the priority line to board the ship.  Next stop will be onboard!

The check in counter is on the lower level of the airport, quite near the end of the corridor.

Edited by DramaQueen22
mispelling

5 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Yes, you can check in for the cruise at the airport.  I used this option last year and it was fantastic.  You go through the same process that you would in the terminal, with the exception of handing off your luggage.  I had also prearranged for Carnival transportation from the airport to the terminal.

When you arrive at the port, you will give you luggage to the porter.  You'll then be directed to the priority line to bard the ship.  Next stop will be onboard!

The check in counter is on the lower level of the airport, quite near the end of the corridor.

Wow! I did not know this was an option. That's fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

You can only check in at MIA the day of your cruise. The desk is located at the end of the baggage claim area, last time we were there. This check in does not by pass your check in time at the port terminal.

On 7/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, ch27088 said:

I am cruising without my family for the first time, but meeting up with an old friend of mine from our Air Force days, and we will cruise together.  One of our stops will be the D.R.  We really  wanted to go, but we are still concerned about the deaths there.  For now, our plan is to stay on the ship and maybe do a spa day, or just lounge by the pool.  This is for the cruise on the Horizon in April 2020.  How does everyone else feel?

Thanks in advance.

My baby sister - my one and only sister - just returned from the DR Sunday. She had the best time of her life. With a little bit of reading if you look at the statistics those numbers of deaths are pretty much statistically relevant. 11 people out of 2 1/2 million tourists annually.

She also got feedback from DR about why that was being so prominent - they hinted at local politics.

Go enjoy life. We had a 77-year-old lady die on Sunday at home because she was bit by a kissing bug during her daily walk. Stuff happens.

Honestly, the check in is so stupid fast now with the tablets at the port, that I wouldn't waste my time walking to the check-in at the airport.  You'll spend more time walking and looking for it than doing it at the cruise port.  For our cruise last month, the check in took about  1 - 2 minutes if I recall.  No lines at all since it moves so fast.  It's just fantastic.  Now, if the airport check-in can get you past a late arrival time, it may be worth it.

There were people near us with much later arrival times who were apparently allowed in and supposedly they do have early/late arrival line if you get there too early or late.  But my guess is they are moving the lines so fast that the arrival appointments are becoming pointless.

Edited by BNBR

Ch27088. First of all THANK YOU for your military service. 

And as others have mentioned, check in at the port is now super quick. No more waiting in that huge terminal. Do your on line check in up to 90 days prior to sail date. Arrive only at your assigned time (you will be assigned a time when you do on line check in). Amber Cove is owned and operated by the Carnival Corp. It is safe.  Enjoy your cruise!

11 hours ago, ch27088 said:

Thank you Organized Chaos, I really appreciated your responses.  I am going to search the boards regarding the Dominican Republic, and see what everyone is saying.  I know things have quieted down a bit, but still nervous about going into the D.R.  I'll continue to watch the News for more information.

Thank you again.

I had some time to go looking for some of the threads about DR if you're interested:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2674154-la-romana-dr-port-on-horizon

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2675314-granddaughter-worried-about-dominican-republic/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2674906-will-carnival-change-amber-cove-for-another-port/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2673849-carnivals-ports-in-dr-how-is-carnival-handling-this/

A lot of people bring up the fact that many tourists die every year, which is true, but I do believe these deaths in the D.R. were suspicious, at the very least. But what bothered me most was the response from the D.R. government. They said all of the deaths were from natural causes and that the "hysteria" over them was purposely being done to hurt their tourist industry. To me, that sounds like statements from someone who has something to hide, but that's just my opinion. I watched an interview of a couple who honeymooned at one of the resorts where deaths occurred. They made him home alive, but got very sick while staying at that resort. Two different doctors back home in the U.S. said they showed signs of exposure to a certain pesticide that is almost completely banned in the U.S., and heavily regulated when it is used. I don't believe those deaths were natural. With that said, I just want to be clear that I think it's still perfectly safe for cruise passengers to port in La Romana, and definitely in Amber Cove.

9 hours ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

I just wanted to say that I got a kick out of your username. 🙂 Nicely done.

5 hours ago, BNBR said:

Honestly, the check in is so stupid fast now with the tablets at the port, that I wouldn't waste my time walking to the check-in at the airport.  You'll spend more time walking and looking for it than doing it at the cruise port.  For our cruise last month, the check in took about  1 - 2 minutes if I recall.  No lines at all since it moves so fast.  It's just fantastic.  Now, if the airport check-in can get you past a late arrival time, it may be worth it.

For our 2016 cruise, they had just implemented the staggered check-in system not long before. They hadn't even finished rolling it out to all the home ports yet. The security line was long, the line to check in was long, and the check-in process itself took us about 10 minutes for three of us, if I remember right.

Fast forward two years later (last year). Check in was so fast, I literally didn't even realize we had completed the whole check-in. Miami had several Carnival reps stationed behind the counter, but they also had a few podiums set up before you got to those reps. We got called to one of the podiums. He checked our boarding passes, our passports, and boom, we were done. Took about two minutes for four of us. It was so quick, I thought that couldn't be it, that it must've been some sort of pre-check and we'd then get sent to one of the reps behind the counter for the actual check-in. Nope, that was it...head on up to the waiting area.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Yes, the ports do enforce these arrival times. You won't be allowed in the cruise terminal until your arrival time (or after). That is, unless you're priority, such as Platinum, Diamond, or FTTF. If you're priority, you're allowed in the terminal before your chosen time.

Miami has three lines for checking in:  Platinum/Diamond and FTTF,  On Time, and Early/Late.  There was an employee standing at the front of those lines checking boarding passes and directing the people to the right line.  We were Platinum and basically got in the line and kept walking until we were in the terminal.  The On Time line was maybe 1/3 full and the Early/Late line was backed up all the way to the front of the terminal and way beyond where the employee was standing.  I strongly suggest if you don't have priority boarding to make sure you get there during your time slot.

19 hours ago, skrufy said:

You can only check in at MIA the day of your cruise. The desk is located at the end of the baggage claim area, last time we were there. This check in does not by pass your check in time at the port terminal.

I think you only check in at the airport if you are taking the Carnival Bus from the airport to the port. But I  think it is not a complete check in for the cruise. (It might be the complete check in  if you are taking the Carnival Bus from the Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale port.) If you are NOT taking a Carnival bus, you do not have to check in at the airport.