Tri-Rail-metrorail

skrufy

Two quick questions. We will be coming from West palm to the Govt. Center Station

1. At the transfer station is it best to sit to the front of the train for the elevators to the Metrorail?

2. At Govt Center Station, are there cabs waiting for passengers?

You can sit anywhere for the elevators to the Metrorail but I will tell you it is a very sketchy station where you transfer.

Honestly, I would just take Brightline from WPB because it goes straight downtown Miami with just one stop in Fort Lauderdale instead of having to transfer.

You can use the code BLFRIEND to get one ticket free.

I've done both of these routes on both trains multiple times.  With the ticket code, Brightline/Virgin will not be much more money for a much more pleasant experience.

Edited by BlueHerons
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skrufy said:

Two quick questions. We will be coming from West palm to the Govt. Center Station

1. At the transfer station is it best to sit to the front of the train for the elevators to the Metrorail?

2. At Govt Center Station, are there cabs waiting for passengers?

There are not cabs waiting for passengers here.  I can tell you that if you are coming in after 6, don't be surprised to see a lot of homeless people milling around this area.  There are many during the day, but evening hours gets a bit different.

I did jury duty for 5 long days/evening a few months back and the court house if right across the street, heading to the metro mover stop at Gov Center sure was interesting when we got out around 7.

As BlueHerons suggested, try taking the Virgin/Brightline train, it's a fantastic way to travel and the station it comes into is really nice!  There won't be cabs waiting but they have nice area to wait outside for Lyft, Uber and cabs.  They do have specials with Lyft.

Thanks for the quick answers. We won’t be coming down in the evening, early on a weekday. Will look into the Brightline. Does the code change often, and where can you get it? We won’t be riding until March 2020. Do you just wait for a cab outside for one to come by?

Two questions turns into many more.

Edited by skrufy

The only challenge may be getting to Brightline in West Palm Beach if you are flying In. While there are buses that go from the airport to the Tri-rail station, Brightline May require you to take a lift/Uber/Taxi.

9 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

The only challenge may be getting to Brightline in West Palm Beach if you are flying In. While there are buses that go from the airport to the Tri-rail station, Brightline May require you to take a lift/Uber/Taxi.

We are staying in West Palm Beach a few days prior to heading for Miami. Buses are out of the question, will use hotel shuttle or cab to station.

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Thanks for the quick answers. We won’t be coming down in the evening, early on a weekday. Will look into the Brightline. Does the code change often, and where can you get it? We won’t be riding until March 2020. Do you just wait for a cab outside for one to come by?

Two questions turns into many more.

They are always running specials and the promo codes are right on their website. Look at the special offers.  Lots of information on the site as well!

https://www.gobrightline.com

Unfortunately cabs do not just come by that area in Miami.  You will either have to call for one or use Uber/Lyft.

They do partner with Lyft so many times have promos for that on line.  

100% take Brightline. 

There are simply just not that many taxis these days driving around like the used to with Uber. Uber/Lyft is usually cheaper and much better service too. You likely will see a taxi riding along or waiting at the Brightline Station but its not the way it used to be where in Downtown or Brickell you would see a taxi every few minutes. 

Most people take Uber/Lyft and I highly suggest when in Miami you take Uber/Lyft it is cheaper and much better than any taxi service. 

1 minute ago, BlueHerons said:

Yes, Brightline/Virgin is always running specials.  Sign up on their website. 

Taking Brightline tonight for dinner to WPB.

So, I entered the promo code BLFRIEND the other day, but did not get to book any tickets. Now, since it reloaded, whenever I enter the same promo code, it says the promo code is in fact valid, but the discount is not reflected when I go to select the tickets.