Speciality Restaurant Reservations

rollie

Not previously mentioned is the option of booking the best times you can find on line and THEN trying to change them as soon as you get on board.  Oceania holds back a portion of the reservations for folks who don't plan ahead (and for VIP's).  Last time we were on Nautica (May 2019) they had a staffer taking and modifying reservations on Deck 5 at the Oceania Travel advisors desk.  You can also check every day at breakfast at the Terrace for cancellations.

We have always found the staff to be very helpful in dealing with groups trying to dine together.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Thanks - I have calendar notifications set 😉 We're also totally flexible about dates & times. Except my in-laws want to eat on Christmas at a specialty restaurant, but none of us have priority booking. We've already warned them it probably won't be possible....

Have they been on Oceania before ?

The speciaties  will have a turkey  but all the other items will be the same as any other night

I would this  the GDR would be more "Special"  for Xmas dinner

JMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The speciaties  will have a turkey  but all the other items will be the same as any other night

JMO

Yes.... the place to be for Christmas  will be the main dining room...    Turkey in Polo,  Chinese Turkey in Red Ginger...  and Italian Turkey in Toscana    just dosent cut the mustard

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Yes, I would definitely prefer the main dining room Christmas (I always do - it's my favorite place to dine) but they don't like sitting and dining for that long so I don't think they've gone more than once?  Perhaps I'll cheat and tell them no specialty reservations are available and we'll eat together another night 😉 

Yes, this will be their....4th or 5th Oceania cruise? I looked at the recent thread on loyalty status and didn't see anything about being able to book restaurants earlier than qualified for by room status - is that not correct? Of course, I had also read elsewhere that if in a Penthouse or whatnot - you could only book for yourself at the appointed time; would have to add "regular" cabin diners at their availability date. So it probably doesn't matter - I'll just try at my opening date and get what I get.....

17 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Yes, this will be their....4th or 5th Oceania cruise? I looked at the recent thread on loyalty status and didn't see anything about being able to book restaurants earlier than qualified for by room status - is that not correct? Of course, I had also read elsewhere that if in a Penthouse or whatnot - you could only book for yourself at the appointed time; would have to add "regular" cabin diners at their availability date. So it probably doesn't matter - I'll just try at my opening date and get what I get.....

Dining reservation order is related only to booked cabin category - no relation to status.

You can book the reservation with the PH booking number and 90% of the time there is no problem adding your guests with lower status at the same time.

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Yes, I would definitely prefer the main dining room Christmas (I always do - it's my favorite place to dine) but they don't like sitting and dining for that long so I don't think they've gone more than once?  Perhaps I'll cheat and tell them no specialty reservations are available and we'll eat together another night 😉 

the specialties can take long as well if more than 2 at the table 

we have been there for 2-3 hrs  with 4 of us  same s a GDR 

but whatever makes them happy LOL

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

the specialties can take long as well if more than 2 at the table 

we have been there for 2-3 hrs  with 4 of us  same s a GDR 

but whatever makes them happy LOL

I never said they were logical ;-). They eat most meals in the Terrace Cafe, apparently. This will be our first Oceania cruise (ironically, it was our recommendation that got them on their first, they booked a bunch in a row and have been trying to get us to go with them for a while, so we finally agreed - it's the Caribbean, which, meh, I don't like sun or the beach so....But it goes to Grenada where I've always wanted to go. And I do want to try Oceania.) 

I imagine most evenings my husband and I will eat in the GDR and my in-laws will eat in the Terrace Cafe and everyone will be happy. Husband and I have booked La Reserve and hope to book each of the specialties. In-laws have requested one specialty restaurant meal with us and that's it so far. We just have different preferences and styles (and I was very clear in asking before we booked what the expectations on eating together would be 😉 They said we should do whatever we want) 

4 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

This will be our first Oceania cruise

I hope that you will enjoy your first O cruise (even though it is to the Carib ☺️) as well as the food and everything else.

BTW - is this a Georgetown/UNC union? 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

☺️- is this a Georgetown/UNC union? 

Alma maters. Ish. (I'm ABD from UNC  but left the dissertation behind more than a decade ago.) I have been using the name for so long online I kept it. I still live in the Tarheel state so it's appropriate ;-) 

18 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Alma maters. Ish. (I'm ABD from UNC  but left the dissertation behind more than a decade ago.) I have been using the name for so long online I kept it. I still live in the Tarheel state so it's appropriate 😉

I see - I like that name.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I imagine most evenings my husband and I will eat in the GDR and my in-laws will eat in the Terrace Cafe and everyone will be happy.

We did a 16 day in South America with my folks several years ago on an O class. We dined together most nights, but (like you) I did all the specialty reservations and of our 4 we did 2 together and 2 apart - more or less the inverse of what is the best fit for you. The reservation process is well defined but the possibilities do multiply! Nice to be able to customize. 

Also, on some short R class itineraries they do start serving dinner at 6 pm. (or did a couple years ago). Otherwise yes dinner hours start at 6:30 for all restaurants on all Oceania ships. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Dining reservation order is related only to booked cabin category - no relation to status.

You can book the reservation with the PH booking number and 90% of the time there is no problem adding your guests with lower status at the same time.

We are a group of four couples on a med cruise next Spring.  One couple is in a PH and the three remainder are in Conciege cabins.  Are you saying that our PH friends can book their specialty restaurants and add our booking number to make a table of eight before we are able to book?

5 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

We are a group of four couples on a med cruise next Spring.  One couple is in a PH and the three remainder are in Conciege cabins.  Are you saying that our PH friends can book their specialty restaurants and add our booking number to make a table of eight before we are able to book?

Usually PH can book the reservations @ 75 days

concierge at 60 days

It has been reported that people in the higher cat can add guests from the lower cat  when booking   BUT  it seems to be hit or miss

Sometimes  the Higher Cat people will have to wait until the right time frame to add  people  in the lower Cat

They can try & see if it works if not just add guests  where their time slot opens up

Which is what we have done in the past

YMMV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Usually PH can book the reservations @ 75 days

concierge at 60 days

It has been reported that people in the higher cat can add guests from the lower cat  when booking   BUT  it seems to be hit or miss

Exactly - it works most of the time but not always.

Might be easier to have your TA do it or call O directly.

50 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

If you are on Marina or Riviera, consider booking Privee - especially if you have OBC to use for this.

A real special place to have dinner for 8 people with the possibility of ordering from both Polo’s and Toscana’s menu. A much more memorable and special meal for 8 people than in any of the specialties crowded around a table intended for 6.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

January 2020 will be our second sailing with Oceania, first with two rooms/booking #s.  If I make an online reservation in Polo Grill, for example, and invite our friends in the other room, does it ‘count’ towards their allotted number of specialty reservations?

2 hours ago, catsngoats said:

January 2020 will be our second sailing with Oceania, first with two rooms/booking #s.  If I make an online reservation in Polo Grill, for example, and invite our friends in the other room, does it ‘count’ towards their allotted number of specialty reservations?

yes

each cabin get a specific number of Pre reserved seatings in each restaurant

does not matter how they get  there it counts against their pre reserved  count

You can always try for more seatings once onboard  depending on availability