Dress code tee shirts

gizfish

I want to know when this casual dress code was changed??

We've been cruising like this for years and so would not have gone to check the dress code for each cruise after the first one or 2! We do dress up for elegant night but for casual nights the idea that DH can no longer wear the shirts he wants at this point in our Carnival "life" is really silly!!

I will bet that no one stops him from entering the MDR .

On other lines we obey their rules and he wears a collared shirt each night but Carnival never required that before now!

2 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

On other lines we obey their rules and he wears a collared shirt each night but Carnival never required that before now!

"Required" is such a strong word -- especially on Carnival.

10 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I just want to know when the dress code was changed?????

I don't think it ever changed.  This has been the policy since I've been cruising.  What does it matter?  You are obviously going to argue the point and do what you want to anyway.   Happy cruising. 

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 2

I am not spending my time here "arguing"! I am totally confused by this new information???

It has not been the policy for all these past years that we have been cruising or I would have known about it and followed the rules! Since we follow the rules on all the other lines we have cruised we would have followed these rules as well! Carnival has always been known as the most casual cruise line and I did not make up that reputation!

Let me know if you see people turned away from the MDR on casual nights for wearing t shirts with logos from all sorts of places?

I don't mean undershirts which of course we wouldn't wear but shirts from places folks visit, bands folks listen to and all sorts of other logos.

We follow the dress code. I enjoy the chance to dress nicely and get my husband into a suit. 

I am not bothered by people who choose to do otherwise, because I try not to let things like that ruin my good time. 

That being said:

As far as the analogies to Chili’s and TGI Fridays, it may not be the finest dining, but I have never been handed a paper napkin in the MDR of a Carnival ship. I have been to far finer restaurants than the MDR, but the comparison is a bit off. Also, if you are eating regularly in so many places that the MDR is that low, great for you! However, please remember the people who may not get out as much, and how that might be the nicest restaurant they will see in years, or even their lifetime. Not everyone gets to go on cruises over and over again. 

• Like 4

This is awesome!  That last photo of the couple in the matching suits, are my good friends.  They buy new matching suits for the first elegant night on every cruise! The second elegant night they dress more formally.  Its a vacation.  Enjoy dinner in MDR and the people watching

Edited by Trishlo73
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Trishlo73 said:

This is awesome!  That last photo of the couple in the matching suits, are my good friends.  They buy new matching suits for the first elegant night on every cruise! The second elegant night they dress more formally.  Its a vacation.  Enjoy dinner in MDR and the people watching

They look like so much fun! I love it!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Trishlo73 said:

I completely agree! They seem like they'd be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I am in the middle on this one. I respect the occasion and those that want to dress up by not going if I don't feel like packing nicer attire. However enjoying dinner is individual thing and how others dress does not change quality of your food or take away or add to how you look. We went to one elegant night on our last cruise and I wore coat and tie with slacks but honestly did not pay any attention to what anyone else wore and could not begin to even give an overview of whether most were dressed up or not.  There is nothing special about the food those nights that would tempt me to show up in a tee shirt etc. The prime rib and lobster and other entrees are banquet quality at best and that is not a knock on carnival or any other cruise line it is just to be expected when preparing food for that many diners. I guess you can put me in the go how you want column, you won't see these people again after the cruise so if you want to look silly or out of place go for it. 

I don't know why this is such a hot topic always.  When I sit down around others, or with others, I want to look like an adult, and not some teenager in their t-shirt, and baseball cap.  Once dinner starts, it's time to get out of your beach wear, and dress for the evening.  It does need to be fancy, but it should be adult like.  Image is everything in life.  So does it bother me?  No, but I do make a judgement, just like most people.  It's human nature.  It does seem like so many people want to explain how they did not notice, but yet, when you read it, it sounds like they did notice. People really don't want to admit that these things are noticed. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BNBR said:

I would just keep walking to my table. There is no way the maitre d is running me down and causing a scene.  I've definitely worn shorts and a t shirt for elegant night and it was all of nothing.  Nobody cares. Hardly anyone even dresses up anymore. 

We have seen it happen, not running you down, but stopping you at the hostess stand and ask you to change. Then what are you going to do, push him away?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

We have seen it happen, not running you down, but stopping you at the hostess stand and ask you to change. Then what are you going to do, push him away?

I would have ignored him as I walked to my table.

2 hours ago, Trishlo73 said:

I have a feeling I would enjoy that couple! I like them just from that one picture.Those outfits are great!

We have also seen folks turned away in shorts on elegant night.

This thread though was about CASUAL nights and not ELEGANT night.

I have been on Cruise Critic a looong time and have not been part of a discussion before about t shirts being banned on Carnival on those casual nights!!

Never ever for years and years!! Elegant night is a different story!

I wonder why this is coming up now???

The idea that you are not an "adult" if you wear a t shirt with a logo on it(not a white undershirt) is just ridiculous!! Image is NOT everything! It is substance that is everything!! Dressing in more formal clothing does not make you a better person!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, linbobky said:

did you shower before you went?

Depends.  One time our excursion was so late in arriving (after departure time!) we had to basically run straight to dinner - on "elegant" night.  Nobody cared one bit.  Usually wear slacks and a basic polo... but I honestly think elegant night is dumb, I don't wish to participate in the nonsense and I'm not going to skip dinner at my table because of it.  This is all a big huff and puff about nothing.  Very few dress up anymore.  It's archaic and going away.

Do I wear a jacket when dining at a 3 star Michelin restaurant?  Yup.  Sure do.  Even take a shower!  But on a Carribean cruise being served banquet food?  Nah.  Not for me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, riffatsea said:

I want to know when this casual dress code was changed??

We've been cruising like this for years and so would not have gone to check the dress code for each cruise after the first one or 2! We do dress up for elegant night but for casual nights the idea that DH can no longer wear the shirts he wants at this point in our Carnival "life" is really silly!!

I will bet that no one stops him from entering the MDR .

Carnival has never allowed tee shirts in the MDR on casual nights since we first started cruising on Carnival years ago. We are both Platinum and will reach Diamond in early 2021, so we have been on a lot of cruises on Carnival.  

Like you stated, no one is likely to stop him from entering the MDR if he isn’t in compliance with the dress code. In the past I saw several men turned away (never saw it happen to a woman) from the MDR for various reasons. However, it has been several years since I have personally seen someone get turned away from the MDR. 

On the Carnival ships t shirts have ALWAYS been allowed into the MDR on casual nights.

Again, we've had lots of conversations about elegant night dress codes but NEVER have had a conversation about casual dress on Carnival ships before this one!!

It is possible that the web site has always said this but since the info on line has been that it's been allowed for years then that's what we've done and so have the majority of people with whom we have sailed.

Other cruise lines do it differently.

I guess I just don't understand it.  No, it does not affect the taste of ones food regardless of how others are dressed.  Yes, you paid for your cruise and yes, it's your vacation.  BUT, it is about following rules.  Not the passengers rules, Carnival's rules.  What kind of example are you setting for your children if you say, wear whatever you like, we paid for this trip and we are on vacation I don't care what the rules say?  If you don't like the dress code rules, eat elsewhere.  Lido allows anything but swimwear.  Or would it be ok with most to wear swimsuits/trunks (with no cover-up) to the buffet?  To me, that is what it boils down to...following the rules, they are there for a reason.  You either follow them or break them, there is no in between here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

I follow the dress code, but I don't care about anyone else. When people say it negatively affects their dining experience when they see someone wearing something that is against the dress code, I think they should lighten up. I'll people-watch in the MDR, but most of the time I'm too busy enjoying my meal, meaning both the food and the people I'm dining with, to worry about what other people are wearing.

When some speak out against shorts, I'm not sure what kind of shorts they're referring to. I'll often wear khaki shorts and a nice shirt on casual nights. Not necessarily a collared shirt, but still nice. If my khaki shorts offend you in the MDR, please tell me. That way I can request a table next to you next time.

Since Carnival redesigned their FAQ's, we can't link directly to a page anymore, so I'll just leave this here...

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Just go to https://www.carnival.com/help and scroll down to "What to wear."

https://www.carnival.com/help/1093