Cash

travelerbug7

I have several thoughts on this...

1. Regarding cash: I only take a small amount of cash with me.  I'll take a bit ashore, as I've been in ports or on ferrys where they've had a concession stand or places that only took cash, particularly in the Caribbean following Hurricanes Irma and Maria.  I never take more than I'm prepared to lose off the ship.  I do take around $100 (separate from that) because I like to tip crew member that do an exceptional job - my room attendant, a favorite bartender, waiter, whatever.  Yes, you get charged gratuities, and no, you are not expected to pay any more than that....but many cruises will tip their favorites a little extra.  I guess the key is....take as little as possible.  It's not secure, and if you lose it, it's gone.

2. Credit vs Debit Card: CREDIT CARD!!!!  You'll tie your credit card to your room, and anything that you purchase on the ship will be charged to it via your ship card/room key.  If you use a debit card, it can actually screw up your accound with holds on funds until it all sorts out, and if you don't have a lot of extra cash to wait it out, it can be frustrating.  Credit cards don't have that problem.  I have a Royal Caribbean credit card specifically for cruise expenses.

3. Every water excursion I've ever done has had lockers in the facility.  Sometimes you have to rent them, but they're available.  

Enjoy your cruise!

7 hours ago, BensonFan711 said:

3. Every water excursion I've ever done has had lockers in the facility.  Sometimes you have to rent them, but they're available.  

Not always.  I've never been on a water excursion that had lockers available.  Rented, or otherwise.

I always snorkel, and I've never felt unsafe leaving my bag on the boat while in the water.  If something goes missing, it's going to be pretty obvious it was someone on the boat!

I also recommend you do some reading around on the Royal Caribbean Forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

You'll get answers that are specific to how Royal Caribbean does things, and have a better idea of what to expect on board.

I also HIGHLY recommend you look VERY carefully into what your cell phone plan covers/allows on the various islands you'll be visiting.  Data is often limited when "roaming" out of the country.  You'll also want to make sure you put your phone into Airplane Mode every time you get on the ship, to avoid connecting to the ship's expensive on-board cell towers.    If you're going to have to pay $10/day or more for a cell phone plan to have data on the islands, you may be better off just getting the ship's Voom internet.  

And if either you or your daughter will be drinking sodas on board, look into getting the Classic Soda Package.  If you have three or more sodas per day, the package will save you money.  

On a boat is different than on  the beach.

I have little to no worries if I am on a boat for whatever type of excursion.

On a beach, more so, but not a huge worry.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:08 AM, BensonFan711 said:

I have a Royal Caribbean credit card specifically for cruise expenses.

Do you know that the Chase Sapphire Reserve card give 3x for all travel and dining.  Granted it's got a whopping annual fee but most of that is offset with credits.  Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you know that the Chase Sapphire Reserve card give 3x for all travel and dining.  Granted it's got a whopping annual fee but most of that is offset with credits.  Just a thought.

Yes, but the point redemption is a different scale. I get more mileage with my United and Royal credit cards that a generic travel rewards system. I get at least $200 onboard spending and ridiculously cheap flights for nearly every cruise the way I do it. 

Edited by BensonFan711

• 2 weeks later...