Has anyone been keeping up with the continued 2nd Entree surcharges in the MDR?

Cruisegoer

I've been on cruises when the group I've been with has decided we wanted to try an entree (or 2) that we've never had before, sharing it around the table. On one cruise it became a nightly sampling, and our stewards became used to it and even made suggestions for the more "weird ones" for our table to try.

Such a policy would have scuttled the whole idea.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:42 PM, Copper10-8 said:

There was indeed a "pay for a 2nd entree" trial (test) period on four dam ships (Nieuw A, E-dam, Zuidy and Oostie) from March 1st until April 1st of this year. Two of those ships charged ten greenbacks for a second entree only on Gala nights, while the other two vessels charged ten cucumbers for an extra crustacean and/or any other 2nd such exquisite entree on every night.

Apparently,  the feedback received as a result of this test period made the storming of the Bastille political prison in la ville lumiere on the afternoon of 14 July 1789 seem like a tempest in a proverbial demitasse 

There have been no attempt(s) to reweigh a potential menu upcharge since the April fools day conclusion of the aforementioned assessment

John:  A very colorful way of putting it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MAVIP said:

A passenger sitting next to me (shared table OS in MDR): 7 starters, 4 entrees, 4 desserts.  No room left for my plate as he wanted starters (and later the entrees) served at the same time.  DH and I were, let's say, astonished. 

Talk about going overboard!!   I think I would have changed tables and left them to all their food.   I think the staff should not have served it all or at least charged extra.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MAVIP said:

A passenger sitting next to me (shared table OS in MDR): 7 starters, 4 entrees, 4 desserts.  No room left for my plate as he wanted starters (and later the entrees) served at the same time.  DH and I were, let's say, astonished. 

I don't particularly have a problem with people ordering multiple dishes, only if they only take one bite from each.

Did he eat all that food?  If he did, then, more power to him.  If not, that's totally wasteful.

If the guy was just tasting each item and discarding it, or, even worse, ordering everything so he could take pictures of all the food, that is terrible.   If he ate everything that was served, then more power to him.   Considering the size of some entrees and appetizers, a big, hungry guy really could polish off all of that food.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mexico8 said:

I think I would have changed tables and left them to all their food.

The other guests at that table were nice and interesting.  And your advise  makes me think that my parents taught me not (always) to say what I think. But I will remember the advise in case …...

On 7/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, awhcruiser said:

I would have gotten sick watching him eat all of that!  Guess he wanted the price for his cruise paid back in food.

Please sit at your own table for 2 so that your judgements do not spill onto my plate.

Thanks!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Do you order 7 entrees?

I have never ordered seven, but...

One of the gala nights I noticed a few entrées  that interested  me and mentioned it to our waiter. He said, "not to worry" and brought the first entrée (a pasta dish) as an appetizer. When others at the table were getting soup he brought me a small portion of lamb. Then during the main course I received small portions of the duck, filet mignon, and a lobster tail. I skipped all of the starters and sweets that night.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

Please sit at your own table for 2 so that your judgements do not spill onto my plate.

Thanks!

I'd rather be at a table for 2 than be subjected to such boorish behavour.  Sitting with a glutton would ruin my appetite.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, mexico8 said:

Talk about going overboard!!   I think I would have changed tables and left them to all their food.   I think the staff should not have served it all or at least charged extra.

Exactly!

On 7/20/2019 at 5:36 PM, mexico8 said:

I agree 100%, mainly because I'm sick and tired of subsidizing other people's gluttony!

• Like 1

We had a 46 page and over a 1000 reply thread about this exact topic back in February and March when the policy was instituted. I do not see why it is necessary to start yet another now since there is no indication of this policy coming back. All it does is stir the pot and cause hard feelings.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 5

I can just imagine the comments on the past posts.   I can foresee the prices going up dramatically if people are allowed to order 7 starters and 4 main courses etc. etc.   Also the poor waiters having to serve all those plates and the dirty dishes and on and on.   I personally to not care to sit with these people and be crowded by their dishes and have poor service because of them taking up all the waiters time.

I hope the cruise lines do not permit these people to ruin it for the rest of us!

7 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I have never ordered seven, but...

One of the gala nights I noticed a few entrées  that interested  me and mentioned it to our waiter. He said, "not to worry" and brought the first entrée (a pasta dish) as an appetizer. When others at the table were getting soup he brought me a small portion of lamb. Then during the main course I received small portions of the duck, filet mignon, and a lobster tail. I skipped all of the starters and sweets that night.

"Skipped the starters and sweets that night"   good way to show restraint!!!

9 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Clever! 

17 hours ago, avian777 said:

I agree 100%, mainly because I'm sick and tired of subsidizing other people's gluttony!

On a ship of more than 1,000 souls, isn't it likely that you'll always be subsidizing things used by others that you don't use? And also likely that others may be subsidizing things you like/enjoy/appreciate?  

For example, I have not been in a pool on board a cruise ship since probably 1997. I haven't utilized the children's programs on a ship since 2008.  Does that give me the right to say I am "sick and tired" of subsidizing those things just because others choose to cruise with their children or enjoy a dunk in the pool?

Moreover, I pay for two people every time I sail solo. Do I enjoy subsidizing the cruise line's model of how revenue onboard is generated? Of course not.  But I accept that "it is what it is" since it is unlikely I can change it.

I don't get why this has to devolve into finger-pointing and petty comments. 

• Like 5

On 7/20/2019 at 3:47 AM, MAVIP said:

I would have been astonished and disgusted at the same time.  He would have been a perfect ad for the extra charge!  I was one who was OK with the extra charge for each additional full entree.   I never understood why some people feel the need to "strap on the feed bag" just because they are on a cruise...  Sure, try different things, but do you really need that much food?  I'd like to see a "sampler plate" offered as a entree - smaller portions of 2-4 of the entrees with a choice of starch.  I've had things like that on land-based restaurants and it offers the ability to sample 2 different fishes/fowl for the same "size" as a single entree.  Less food waste and more adventure!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1