Past final payment cancellation. My 16 year old is now in the cabin by herself!

hotvwchick

Need help. I originally booked 2 cabins across from each other on the Glory. Cabin #1has myself, my youngest daughter and the girls' uncle. Cabin #2 has 26 year old step daughter and my 16 year old daughter in it. Step daughter states she is not coming as she rather be with her friends. I now have my 16 year old alone in the cabin. We leave on the Glory August 25th. What are my options?

Since you can't get a refund at this point, and they might try to charge you even more for just one person in the other cabin if you tried to, perhaps you can ask for a duplicate door key or two and just let your group sleep where they want to?

• Like 3

not sure what the problem is.

Once on board just go to the front desk and play musical cabins with whoever you decide to move around and get new keys made. They already have their money so they dont care.

As long as you are within 4 cabins (i think) of the minor children they can be in a cabin by themselves.

Since its all paid and you cant get a refund, the cabin is paid for, have the stepdaughter be a no show and you should at least get port fees back for her.

If you have trip insurance you might be able to get her cruise costs back.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, hotvwchick said:

No insurance for her. Insurance wouldn't cover this excuse.  I'm going to be eating the airfare and cruise cost for her. Lesson learned!

She is 26 and presumably has a job, make her pay you back.

I know if I committed to something and then backed out at that age my parents would have made me pay them back or go on the trip.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, hotvwchick said:

Need help. I originally booked 2 cabins across from each other on the Glory. Cabin #1has myself, my youngest daughter and the girls' uncle. Cabin #2 has 26 year old step daughter and my 16 year old daughter in it. Step daughter states she is not coming as she rather be with her friends. I now have my 16 year old alone in the cabin. We leave on the Glory August 25th. What are my options?

Hi 

Normally in this situation (without the minor), it would be easiest to just have the person not show up. The cabin fare would be lost and taxes and port fees would be refunded to the person who paid. 

In this situation I don't know if they would allow your daughter to check in to the cabin without your step daughter being there, even if you told them when checking in that she was coming later (lying). 

Here are the rules from Carnival.https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

The way I read it, it would be all right with them if your cabins were "separated by only 3 cabins". So, if your cabins are close to each other, I don't see a problem. If not, maybe see if you can get a cabin closer together. 

Either way, it will be sorted out, it's just a question of whether they will try to get more money from you. Again, either way, don't tell them you step daughter isn't coming. Just let her not show up.

• Like 1

p.s. forgot... once you are on the ship you can change the sleeping arrangements to what will suit you. Just ask guest services for whatever keys you need. people do that all the time, I would wait until the guest service line is quiet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

She is 26 and presumably has a job, make her pay you back.

I know if I committed to something and then backed out at that age my parents would have made me pay them back or go on the trip.

without a doubt, no reason for you to eat it, as I always preached to my son, there are consequences

• Like 4

1 hour ago, robc1972 said:

not sure what the problem is.

Once on board just go to the front desk and play musical cabins with whoever you decide to move around and get new keys made. They already have their money so they dont care.

As long as you are within 4 cabins (i think) of the minor children they can be in a cabin by themselves.

Since its all paid and you cant get a refund, the cabin is paid for, have the stepdaughter be a no show and you should at least get port fees back for her.

If you have trip insurance you might be able to get her cruise costs back.

The problem is that Carnival doesn't allow minors alone in a cabin. I presumed it was too late to move an adult into the room. I thought once you were assigned a cabin and final payment made, you could not move the occupants around. That is why posted this looking for possible options. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, hotvwchick said:

No insurance for her. Insurance wouldn't cover this excuse.  I'm going to be eating the airfare and cruise cost for her. Lesson learned!

A 26 year old that just ups and decides she would rather be with her friends??  Now would be a perfect time for a “life lesson”!!  

If it were me she would pay me back every single dime, even if it had to be in installments!!  No way would I let her just walk away!!!

I do hope you get this resolved and that you have a wonderful cruise!!!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, hotvwchick said:

The problem is that Carnival doesn't allow minors alone in a cabin. I presumed it was too late to move an adult into the room. I thought once you were assigned a cabin and final payment made, you could not move the occupants around. That is why posted this looking for possible options. Thanks for your input.

Having been on a Carnival cruise and being changed to a new room once onboard, it is possible for someone to move to a new room. My uncle had paid for the room and his mother-in-law decided not to go at the last minute. He offered me the room with his granddaughter (my second cousin). She chose to stay with him and my aunt, while I changed to the room. I suggest waiting until the evening of the first night and then going to Guest Services.

We went three times before they were able to change my room assignment. The first couple of times they told me they had to make sure everyone was on board and signed in before they could change it. Which was weird to me as we had purchased the room I was supposed to stay in, as well as the room I was moving to. But anyway, you should have any issues with moving people around. Like I mentioned, you might be able to move the uncle into the cabin your daughter is currently in, and move your daughter to your cabin in his place.

• Like 1

I recently went thru this.  My husband and i had everything to travel with daughter’s family (they had two cabins). Anyway my husband said 3 weeks before we were to leave  he was not going because he hated to fly.  We lost a bunch of money. When i called i was told it would actually cost me 1000.00 additional besides the huge amount i had already paid for the cabin. This was to cancel him.  I said no way!!!! I had heard about the no show thing so i said i would go that route.  Then i watched and just days before sailing rates dropped and they was able to cancel him and all money went towards me only in cabin.  I did get back port charges and of coarse his prepaid tips.  Not a dime back from very expensive flights.  Both flights put another person in his seat, so they double dipped.lol

your step daughter should be real ashamed of herself.  Just have her be a no show,

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

I recently went thru this.  My husband and i had everything to travel with daughter’s family (they had two cabins). Anyway my husband said 3 weeks before we were to leave  he was not going because he hated to fly.  We lost a bunch of money. When i called i was told it would actually cost me 1000.00 additional besides the huge amount i had already paid for the cabin. This was to cancel him.  I said no way!!!! I had heard about the no show thing so i said i would go that route.  Then i watched and just days before sailing rates dropped and they was able to cancel him and all money went towards me only in cabin.  I did get back port charges and of coarse his prepaid tips.  Not a dime back from very expensive flights.  Both flights put another person in his seat, so they double dipped.lol

your step daughter should be real ashamed of herself.  Just have her be a no show,

Any repercussions for husband?

Edited by GradUT

7 hours ago, GradUT said:

Any repercussions for husband?

He was the one that wanted to stay home. He knew i was with family.  He saved my daughter 880.00 in dog boarding fees, plus 675.00 for us in dog boarding fee’s. So that helped with all the money we lost.  

I would of never booked if i had know he would back out, he had to fly for work and when he retired he said no more. He missed one of the best cruises. We did miss our connecting flight in Atlanta and 6 do did manage a stand bye flight within 3 hours. He said that his one of the reasons he hated flying.

On 7/21/2019 at 3:37 PM, cruisequeen4ever said:

Call Carnival and ask to move the uncle into the other stateroom and your 16 year old into yours. I can’t see how Carnival would object to that as it’s the only way to adhere to their age guidelines. 

Technically, her 16 year old daughter could stay in the cabin by herself because she's right across the hall from the OP. They allow that for all minors, plus they can be separated by up to 3 cabins for 13-17 year olds.

I agree with many others, move the uncle to his own cabin. It'd probably be more comfortable for everyone.

1 hour ago, gamecockinnc said:

Not exactly true we have booked our sons when they were younger into an inside cabin across from us and have been told as long as they are near us Carnival allows it.

I am sure family tensions are already high with your step daughters behavior but see if CCL would let you sub someone for her. Possibly a friend or relative that can purchase new airfare and cover their cost. Yes, trip insurance is almost always worth it. But holding your stepdaughter accountable is too because 26 is firmly an adult and her reasoning is just rude. I might even suggest every birthday and Christmas gift in the future be “her cruise that she chose to not go on to hang with her friends.” A few years of that gift might be needed. 

Good luck.   

Love it! I'm going to do that. Do they allow subs after final payment?