MDR Wine Lists

stevea20

We have heard that Princess has stopped offering Beringer's White Zinfandel, which is what my wife likes. (the wine, not necessarily the brand name)

Does anyone have pictures of the current wine lists so we can see if there is an alternative?

We will be on the Royal this October and the new Sky next February.

We are aware that we can bring one bottle on board but that won't last too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevea20 said:

We have heard that Princess has stopped offering Beringer's White Zinfandel, which is what my wife likes. (the wine, not necessarily the brand name)

Does anyone have pictures of the current wine lists so we can see if there is an alternative?

We are aware that we can bring one bottle on board but that won't last too long.

There are three true Rose's.  No WZ of any sort.  You can bring one bottle each, so two in total.  You can also bring more and a corkage fee applies to the extra's.  The corkage fee also applies if you bring one of the unopened "free" bottles to the DR.  You may agree that it is not the best to pay corkage on inexpensive wine. 

The dining room wine list is posted on the Princess web site:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

As Steelers has already stated, there are three roses listed--two from France and one from Washington.  Since White Zin often has residual sugar in it, I can see where these choices might not be satisfactory.  My guess is that they are all completely dry.

However, the Washington rose is available by the glass.  Your wife could try it, and, if she does not like it, at least it was not a major investment.

If your wife is willing to look at white wines, typically, Riesling come with some residual sugar.  She could try a glass of the S.A. Prum Essence Riesling,

Another white wine idea is the Gruner Veltliner.  No residual sugar but very fruity, very light and very refreshing, and, again, available by the glass.

• Like 2

I too only drink mostly WZ and sometimes a Riesling. Is WZ not available only in the dining room or all over the ship?  I have the sip and sail promo but without my choice of wine, the two 750 bottles I can bring will not last 16 days. I like to have a glass of wine with dinner or just relaxing listening to music, but want to enjoy my favorite wine. So my choices would be, change promo to the new $1000.00 OBC to cover DH’s beer and use some to pay the corkage on a case of wine, or just cancel the two cruises I have booked with Princess and go elsewhere. 😫 not a fun decision. 

To Stevea20, thank you for posting this, otherwise I would have never known until I got onboard.  

34 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

I too only drink mostly WZ and sometimes a Riesling. Is WZ not available only in the dining room or all over the ship?  I have the sip and sail promo but without my choice of wine, the two 750 bottles I can bring will not last 16 days. I like to have a glass of wine with dinner or just relaxing listening to music, but want to enjoy my favorite wine. So my choices would be, change promo to the new $1000.00 OBC to cover DH’s beer and use some to pay the corkage on a case of wine, or just cancel the two cruises I have booked with Princess and go elsewhere. 😫 not a fun decision. 

To Stevea20, thank you for posting this, otherwise I would have never known until I got onboard.  

check out Vines wine menu if there is one on your ship

go in, have a nice pre-dinner glass ... then take a sippy cup to dinner with you ... Vines is very protective of their stemware for wines ...

I have changed my mind about paying corkage - I used to think there was no point in doing so for inexpensive bottles, but not having a wine I enjoy on board changed my mind. It's not that I cannot find bottles on the list that I appreciate, quite the opposite. But, on the recent crossing, they ran out of my favorite, restocked a bit, ran out again, etc., and there just wasn't anything I enjoyed as much. So.....it is over to Total Wine before we sail to stock up on my favorites.  Even with the corkage fee, it will only be less than 50% of what is charged on board, so that combined with having something I truly enjoy has changed my perspective on the corkage fee. 

If you want a White Zin take enough of a supply of the one you like best,  to keep you happy, and enjoy it while relaxing and dining. 

• Like 3

voljeep & Astro Flyer, thanks for your replies. Island and Emerald Princess are the ships. One has Vines and the other Sabatini’s but I think it would be a little expensive eating at a specialty dining venue every night😉.

I called Princess and they confirmed it’s fleet wide so no WZ anywhere. Oh well, cancelled the Emerald and will keep the Island as it goes ex NYC and I can bring a case for the 16 day trip.  It would only cost me $150.00 corkage but they wanted me to pay 898.00 more in deposit to get the $1000.00 OBC since I booked it with $1.00 deposit.  Didn’t happen the last two times when I added the newest promos.  I said thanks, but no thanks, keep the sip and sail on. At least DH can have his beer. Neither of us drink any hard liquor or those fancy ones with the umbrellas. That’s just us, beer and wine is all we need.  Happy cruising!

16 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

One has Vines and the other Sabatini’s but I think it would be a little expensive eating at a specialty dining venue every night😉

That’s for sure 😉

Although it might be possible to just purchase a bottle at Sabatini’s from their wine list to enjoy elsewhere including in the MDR.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ggprincess2004 said:

I have changed my mind about paying corkage - I used to think there was no point in doing so for inexpensive bottles, but not having a wine I enjoy on board changed my mind. It's not that I cannot find bottles on the list that I appreciate, quite the opposite. But, on the recent crossing, they ran out of my favorite, restocked a bit, ran out again, etc., and there just wasn't anything I enjoyed as much. So.....it is over to Total Wine before we sail to stock up on my favorites.  Even with the corkage fee, it will only be less than 50% of what is charged on board, so that combined with having something I truly enjoy has changed my perspective on the corkage fee. 

If you want a White Zin take enough of a supply of the one you like best,  to keep you happy, and enjoy it while relaxing and dining. 

Thanks ggprincess2004, that’s exactly how I feel. Beringer’s WZ 750 go for about $5.??(1.5 mags $6.97) at Total Wine then add to it the 15.00 corkage, it’s still only $21.00 per bottle. On another cruise line they charge something like $28-32.00 per bottle, so still ahead in my eyes.  Only issue is that I don’t have any OBC for this cruise like I do on some. Might have to transfer to a TA to see about that. I’ll still keep sip and sail for DH though. 

4 hours ago, stevea20 said:

you bring 2 and enjoy in your room, you can bring as many as you like and pay a $15 corking per bottle ... I would guess that is cheaper than what you are paying on board for a similar wine. 

The additional labels offered at Sabi's are, as one might guess, Italian labels and tend to be mid to upscale as I recall.  It is the list they present by default, but you can also ask for the regular list.  I am sure Vines can get you any bottle sold on ship - you don't have to dine in Sabi's to get the wine. 

XBGuy - an excellent post as all yours are on the subject of wine.

LoveMyCruiseToo - you mentioned possibly going elsewhere.  I believe that Princess has the most generous and affordable BYOW policy among main market cruise lines from everything I have read here.  Even better than most of the sister lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella.  Unlimited bottles can be brought on board and corkage fee is $15 for those over the free limit.

• Like 1

I have tried some of the new menu this year and to be honest I really had some favourites on the older menu that I found hard to replace. I occasionally suffer migraines, and as much as I like drinking wine on holidays, some types of wine can trigger them. I have not found a favourite on the new menu yet that I am prepared to buy a bottle of and keep at various bars throughout the ship. Looking at their description on the list wines that are categorised as O or V would likely make me avoid them rather than feel more happy. It looks like they have surrendered to the boycott movement of hashtag bullies who like to impose their draconian views on everyone and force change. Its almost enough to turn you off their cruise line. If a wine is good and comes from fruit that had pesticides used on it then well and good. What to people expect. I have citrus trees in my yard and one stink bug infestation is likely to render the entire tree fruitless for the entire season if you do not eradicate them. I am not a wine expert but I would imagine it is the same for wine makers having to control pests that could devour their vines.

14 hours ago, steelers36 said:

The additional labels offered at Sabi's are, as one might guess, Italian labels and tend to be mid to upscale as I recall.  It is the list they present by default, but you can also ask for the regular list.  I am sure Vines can get you any bottle sold on ship - you don't have to dine in Sabi's to get the wine. 

XBGuy - an excellent post as all yours are on the subject of wine.

LoveMyCruiseToo - you mentioned possibly going elsewhere.  I believe that Princess has the most generous and affordable BYOW policy among main market cruise lines from everything I have read here.  Even better than most of the sister lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella.  Unlimited bottles can be brought on board and corkage fee is $15 for those over the free limit.

Thank you Steelers36,  yes they do have a good one and the only difference with NCL is the two free personal bottles you are allowed. Both have unlimited amounts you can bring and both a $15.00 corkage fee. 

In all honesty, I really don’t think it pays to have the sip and sail promo and then have to, not only purchase my wine, but then lug it on board along with suitcases etc. 

We have never sailed on Princess and these 2 would have been our first time. I have decided to cancel both and rebooked with another line. Happy cruising to all!

4 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Thank you Steelers36,  yes they do have a good one and the only difference with NCL is the two free personal bottles you are allowed. Both have unlimited amounts you can bring and both a $15.00 corkage fee. 

In all honesty, I really don’t think it pays to have the sip and sail promo and then have to, not only purchase my wine, but then lug it on board along with suitcases etc. 

We have never sailed on Princess and these 2 would have been our first time. I have decided to cancel both and rebooked with another line. Happy cruising to all!

We don't find the S&S to be of value to us, even as a perk, because we don't drink that much outside of wine with dinner.  I'd rather have lower fare or OBC and not the S&S.  Hope you find another promotion to your liking so you can try out Princess.  We think it is a good cruise line, but obviously not the only one people enjoy.

Yup.  We always drink the Beringer White Zin and didn't really mind the $30 or so charged onboard.  Last cruise tried the three new ones at $35/$38/$45 plus gratuity.  Yuck.  Turns out lately Beringer can be on sale for $3.50 at Total and about $6 at highest in grocery store.  Much better to pay the $15 corkage fee on wine we like than roughly $50 for something we don't.  So we just bring as many bottles as we need onboard.  Depending on when you arrive at the terminal they may or may not charge corkage, and your dining room waiter may or may not charge $15 corkage on a bottle without a sticker.

Bought a wine carrier bag with shoulder strap to carry onboard.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, lovemycruisetoo said:

voljeep & Astro Flyer, thanks for your replies. Island and Emerald Princess are the ships. One has Vines and the other Sabatini’s but I think it would be a little expensive eating at a specialty dining venue every night😉.

I called Princess and they confirmed it’s fleet wide so no WZ anywhere. Oh well, cancelled the Emerald and will keep the Island as it goes ex NYC and I can bring a case for the 16 day trip.  It would only cost me $150.00 corkage but they wanted me to pay 898.00 more in deposit to get the $1000.00 OBC since I booked it with $1.00 deposit.  Didn’t happen the last two times when I added the newest promos.  I said thanks, but no thanks, keep the sip and sail on. At least DH can have his beer. Neither of us drink any hard liquor or those fancy ones with the umbrellas. That’s just us, beer and wine is all we need.  Happy cruising!

The latest “sale” promo has a 10% deposit requirement and the deposit is non refundable too. Not something I would sign up for.

We have done 16 cruises and never had the beverage package.  We usually bring several bottles of wine that we like and pay the corkage fee at dinner, really don’t mind doing that.  I am looking at the wine list and most glasses are over $10.00.  If we drink a $15.00 glass at dinner do we pay $15.00 or $5.00, which is the amount over the limit.  We really don’t want to drink house wine.  Will bring my own if that is a problem.

31 minutes ago, chippye said:

We have done 16 cruises and never had the beverage package.  We usually bring several bottles of wine that we like and pay the corkage fee at dinner, really don’t mind doing that.  I am looking at the wine list and most glasses are over $10.00.  If we drink a $15.00 glass at dinner do we pay $15.00 or $5.00, which is the amount over the limit.  We really don’t want to drink house wine.  Will bring my own if that is a problem.

The S+S beverage package allows for drink up to $12. When it was first introduced, if you selected a drink at $15, then $15 would be charged to you account. Over the last month or so, there have been reports on CC that the policy has changed and now in my example, you would only have $3 charged to your account (and I’m guessing 18% of the delta as a gratuity on top of that)

23 hours ago, polmcs said:

The latest “sale” promo has a 10% deposit requirement and the deposit is non refundable too. Not something I would sign up for.

Exactly and that’s why I cancelled both cruises. Got my $330.00 refund on Emerald already, just waiting for my $2.00 from the Island. 😉😂😉😂. Just a joke!

I don't mean to stereotype and certainly don't mean to offend anyone, but as someone who has worked on putting together a number of wine lists, if I were assembling a wine list for a clientele of 3,000 people who fit the mid-market cruising demographic, I would always have a White Zin on the list, likely from Beringer or Sutter Home.  Yes, Roses of Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre and Pinot Noir are exploding. But I would always be able to move cases of White Zin at a hefty markup. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

Wow-- I can't remember the last time I had a glass of white Zin, Used to love this wine, but it is really hard to find in most wine shops and restaurants in Northern Calif. I was curious as to why... so checked it out online , and it appears only a few of the "lower end" (not sure how they define this term) vineyards grow & market this variety any more. These are places like Sutter Home, Beringer, Barefoot... I think some cruise lines are doing their passengers a disservice but not carrying this variety as it appears it is still popular in some areas. We are very spoiled (and happily so!) in my area with literally hundreds of top-notch vineyards. But I can safely say I never met a wine I didn't like....well maybe "two buck chuck", Red Mountain, Ripple and Boone's Farm. Not sure if these brands are still on the market. Oh well, whatever floats your boat or pops your cork!!

9 hours ago, Fairfield Nana said:

it appears only a few of the "lower end" (not sure how they define this term) vineyards grow & market this variety any more. These are places like Sutter Home, Beringer, Barefoot.

To be clear, Beringer is by no means a "lower end" vineyard.  While the winery has carved out a solid following for its White Zin, and its more affordable "Founders Estate" wines, the balance of its portfolio is mid-range to luxury with bottles ranging from $35-$175 msrp. (Slightly lower at retail).  But otherwise, I get your point.  If you went to a tasting room on St. Helena Highway in 1990, almost ever winery had a White Zin in the tasting room.  Those numbers have dwindled significantly since then.  Acreage in the area is far too expensive to waste time growing grapes intended for $4 bottles.  Plus, more and more winemakers became adept at producing high quality "true" Zinfandels as well as using the grape as a blending varietal for Red Table Wines that could sell for much higher prices.  Why turn your Zinfandel grapes into White Zin at $4 bottle when you can sell it as a Zinfandel for $18?  Sales of White Zinfandel have dropped from over $600 million a year in 1990 to less than half of that ($290 million) in 2018.   So it certainly is not as popular as it once was.  But by the same token, it hasn't gone away either.

Edited by JimmyVWine