Viking Moscow to St Petersburg

Travelerstory

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

You may want to post on the Viking River Cruise Roll Call - you would most likely garner more information there.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/851-viking-river-roll-calls/

I strongly disagree. General question threads belong in this forum and not the Roll Call forum. The best way to make use of the roll call forum--and one should -- is to find the appropriate roll call(s), read it(them) and then ask specific questions in the roll call. After years of hanging out here, I've decided that people are more apt to respond to a specific question. Also, roll calls have a downside: once people have sailed, they generally do not return to the roll call.

General question threads started in the Roll Call forum have a slim chance of being seen. Once people find the roll call for their cruise, they usually do not return to the roll call forum to look for it.

Plus, a quick scan of the Roll Call forum shows that there are only a couple of single date roll calls for Waterways of Tsars (including one started by the OP), most of which have no replies (which is not unusual for river cruise roll calls) and no one started a 2019 Waterways roll call. Viking might have a couple of ships doing this itinerary but the people on it either aren't interested in roll calls or simply aren't members of Cruise Critic. 

• Like 1

I have done Moscow and Leningrad as a land trip (many years ago) and then did the river cruise St. Petersburg to Moscow. I loved the land trip.

I was not a fan of the river cruise and was literally bored with the ports between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Not only that, I yearned for more time in the 2 large cities. In the towns between, we would often get off, visit a montastery and then get back on the ship. Many stops were 3-4 hours. Maybe if I was retired and had all of this extra time in my life but I am not.

I personally would advise to find a land tour that let's you stay in hotels in downtown Moscow and St. Petersburg because we spent so much time in traffic commuting back and fourth to the ship. It was so much better to stay downtown near items.

Sorry - my least favorite cruise. Others probably enjoyed the trip though they had no idea how much we missed in Moscow and St. Petersburg and didn't know any better.

• Like 1

Just returned from this trip, sailing on the Viking Truvor - fantastic cruise!  It was our first river cruise and I loved the river cruising, going through 17 locks as well as open lake cruising (could not see land at times).  

We chose a CX room - level two with a large window which opens to allow you fresh air and view of the sail.  Room was as expected in size with plenty of storage space for us.  As we travel light and had spent 4 days in Amsterdam first, loved the speed and luxury of great laundry service.  We did hear engine noise when slowing down for the locks but it did not bother us.

Our program director Olga was a sweetheart and always ready to resolve any issues.  All the staff was friendly and ready to make your wishes happen if possible.  We found the food very nice, particularly the chance to eat Russian foods nearly every day.

My early morning haunt was the Panorama bar - enjoy coffee and the passing scenery.  I was trying to learn a bit of Russian so Alayna and Yana would teach me something new each day.

The walking tours in Moscow and St. Petersburg were well done if a bit slow paced and prepared us to explore on our own the next day - easily done on the metro in Moscow and on the shuttle in St. P.  In Moscow we did visit the State Historical Museum on Red Square and thoroughly enjoyed it - no crowds so we could enjoy the exhibits.  Felt very safe in both cities exploring on our own.  

The pace slows down for the five days sailing along the river and visiting smaller towns - each charming and offer something different.  If you want high quality artistic souvenirs I thought the nicest were in Mandrogy where the artists were creating on site.  

Can’t say much about vodka (not my drink) but folks enjoyed trying those on board and a tasting was offered one evening.  

I am happy to answer any questions - just got in last night so a bit loopy from the 9 hour time zone change!  It was a fabulous trip - Russia is a beautiful country and the ship staff happy and proud to share their country with you.  

4B0668FB-A9F2-4EA0-B890-6E9BA1236822.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Coral said:

I have done Moscow and Leningrad as a land trip (many years ago) and then did the river cruise St. Petersburg to Moscow. I loved the land trip.

I was not a fan of the river cruise and was literally bored with the ports between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Not only that, I yearned for more time in the 2 large cities. In the towns between, we would often get off, visit a montastery and then get back on the ship. Many stops were 3-4 hours. Maybe if I was retired and had all of this extra time in my life but I am not.

I personally would advise to find a land tour that let's you stay in hotels in downtown Moscow and St. Petersburg because we spent so much time in traffic commuting back and fourth to the ship. It was so much better to stay downtown near items.

Sorry - my least favorite cruise. Others probably enjoyed the trip though they had no idea how much we missed in Moscow and St. Petersburg and didn't know any better.

I am inclined to agree with you on most points with the exception being "least favorite cruise". Although I have enjoyed cruises to Russia (both ocean and river), I usually visit Russia via land rather than cruise. One must obtain a Russian visa for both river cruises/land visits and as traffic in both St. Petersburg and Moscow is complete chaos it is a more effective time saver to stay in the city center of these cities.The cruises do not, imho, offer adequate time to explore St. Petersburg and Moscow and there is much to see in both of these cities. 

However, if the OP enjoys the cruising experience with most tours included and is content with just a "taste" of the ports visited, it may be the right choice for him/her. 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I am inclined to agree with you on most points with the exception being "least favorite cruise". Although I have enjoyed cruises to Russia (both ocean and river), I usually visit Russia via land rather than cruise. One must obtain a Russian visa for both river cruises/land visits and as traffic in both St. Petersburg and Moscow is complete chaos it is a more effective time saver to stay in the city center of these cities.The cruises do not, imho, offer adequate time to explore St. Petersburg and Moscow and there is much to see in both of these cities. 

I have done 1 land trip there and 1 river cruise there. 

I just hated to getting off the ship for a port between Moscow and St. Petersburg for 2 hours to visit one church and then back on the ship. I would have killed to have had more time in Moscow and St. Petersburg than spend 2 hours in one port for one church.

Both times I did get my Russian Visa.

I loved staying in downtown in both of these cities. So much nicer than the alternative. I did a river cruise because the one year, Moscow was the most expensive city in the world. 

I just couldn't believe my "cheap high school trip" did a much better job showing me Moscow and "Leningrad" (at the time) than the river cruise.

I was amazed at how many said "I saw everything in Moscow" when we barely only touched the surface. We missed so much.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

I was amazed at how many said "I saw everything in Moscow" when we barely only touched the surface. We missed so much.

Yes, people often make these claims when visiting historical european cities - makes me inwardly smile. I have spent months in Italy during my lifetime, love Rome and usually spend 5 day to a week (or more) in this fabulous city. I still haven't "seen it all" as archaeological sites are uncovered on a regular basis. 

I have friends that live in Russia with whom I stay so I usually spend upwards of 2-3 weeks at a time. Still haven't "seen it all" and never will.

We cruised the Danube last October-November. Same issue as you - with short tours in some of the towns along the river. In the larger cities (Vienna, Budapest) we actually ditched the included tours and DIY - saw much more on our own and spent an additional week post cruise in Budapest and an additional week pre in Munich. We enjoy a more indepth visit but recognize that our style doesn't appeal to all.

• Like 1

No cruise – ocean or river – gives you an in-depth stay in any major city.  If you want to really explore Paris, taking an ocean cruise that stops at Le Havre for a day isn't the way to do it.  Yet more and more people keep cruising every year: because the cruise is an experience in itself as well as providing introductory visits to many different cities and towns along the way.  IMHO you can't compare cruising with land visits and say that one is better than the other [except in your opinion, for you].  Many people will find that a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg is all the Russia they will ever need.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No cruise – ocean or river – gives you an in-depth stay in any major city.  If you want to really explore Paris, taking an ocean cruise that stops at Le Havre for a day isn't the way to do it.  Yet more and more people keep cruising every year: because the cruise is an experience in itself as well as providing introductory visits to many different cities and towns along the way.  IMHO you can't compare cruising with land visits and say that one is better than the other [except in your opinion, for you].  Many people will find that a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg is all the Russia they will ever need.

When river cruisers used to stay in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg it was much better. The locations where they dock are pretty far (like staying in La Harve) and people still complain about it. Again - it is important to let people know because the cruise lines will not.

I have had so many people from this board email me that they were bored with the ports between Moscow and St. Petersburg and they wished they had not done a river cruise as the days between were a waste. I completely agree with them and am letting others know. I don't like to waste my vacation days on poor ports and I doubt others do either. I wish others had let me know before I had done mine. River cruise section on CC was not as active back then.

I think there are great places to cruise - I just don't think Russia river cruises are one of them. Also, if you look, there are far less river cruises in Russia now compared to previously. Many lines who used to be in Russia are no longer there. It has more to do than just politics. It just isn't a good match.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Well, I am going to offer an alternative view...  we loved our cruise in Russia.  We enjoy the experience of being on the rivers - so did not feel this was a "waste" of our vacation days.  Yes, the stops between Moscow & SP were often short, but we enjoyed seeing life along the river banks.

I do agree that the travel time in both Moscow & SP was pretty brutal - but, that is life in Russia.  I do not complain about traffic nearly as much since returning from this trip!!  I am not sure that the docking spaces in SP or Moscow are not as far away from the city as Le Havre is from Paris - I think it is more the congestion of the traffic that causes the increased travel time.  But - if I am wrong - I am sure someone here will correct me....

In Moscow, the Metro was quite close (ie: very walkable) to the area where the boats dock.   So - lots of options for self touring on the "free" day.  Not everyone is comfortable touring on their own in a country where you don't speak the language - so It is rather presumptuous (IMHO) to say it was "much better" when the tour included hotel stays.  Most hotel stays result in having to do some meals on your own - so, another expense on top of what can be a fairly pricey vacation. 

I am glad that there are people who can offer an alternative view of cruising (ie: what is good, what may be a disappointment....) - but, just like opinions on which company is "best" (or worst) - these are opinions that may not mesh with people's expectations or priorities. 

To the OP - we did not do Russia with Viking - we did it with Uniworld.  But, the decision for Uniworld over Viking was entirely cost related.  We were looking at both lines - and Uniworld had the better price.  The itinerary itself was almost identical.   We chose to end in Moscow - as we had a free day there and felt it would be nice to relax a bit before flying home.  We booked a private tour in Moscow as we wanted to go to the Flea Market at Ishmaylova (? sp) - and it was handy to have a guide that spoke the language!!

So - if you want to see Russia, this is a good way to have a "taste" of what the country has to offer.  Of course you won't see everything - but I somehow doubt you expect to.

Fran

• Like 4

We did this trip, Moscow to St. Petersburg with AMA 10 years ago and loved it!  We did enjoy seeing the small cities along the way and saw a bit of what life was in those towns.  We did not find them boring and enjoyed going into the church in each town.  So very different from ours and so beautiful even in the small towns.  Yes extra time would have been nice but we read the itinerary and knew what to expect.  I find river cruising very relaxing and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

We also did the Russian river cruise and thought it was a waste of time and money. We saw so little in Moscow and St. Petersburg due to the awful traffic. We heard many lines dropped this itinerary due to poor reviews.

We did go back and stayed in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg and had a great time. We saw much more in the same amount of time just by staying downtown in hotels.

No desire to go back to the ports along the Volga. Wished we had missed them the first time.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanIsland said:

No desire to go back to the ports along the Volga. Wished we had missed them the first time.

Well, part of the problem is that you haven't really visited too many ports along the Volga in the first place - only a tiny portion of Moscow to SPB route runs along the Volga. It's due to tricky marketing games, of course, but still, calling Moscow-Spb a Volga cruise is almost as misleading as calling it The Waterways of the Tsars.

I've taken two Volga cruises (Moscow to Astrakhan and Kazan to Astrakhan) - and it's a totally different river experience.

3 hours ago, dolllover said:

I would love this trip as I love small towns .We would spend time on both ends in the big cities and the small towns would be a nice change . Hoping to do this trip in the future.

You don't spend that much time in the small towns. You get off --visit the church and then get back on the ship. In one town, there was only a church. I think some ports we got off for 2-3 hours and that was it. Most of the time between the 2 cities is spent on the ship. And the ships are not up to what other river cruise ships have.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

1 hour ago, napoxoguk said:

Well, part of the problem is that you haven't really visited too many ports along the Volga in the first place - only a tiny portion of Moscow to SPB route runs along the Volga. It's due to tricky marketing games, of course, but still, calling Moscow-Spb a Volga cruise is almost as misleading as calling it The Waterways of the Tsars.

I've taken two Volga cruises (Moscow to Astrakhan and Kazan to Astrakhan) - and it's a totally different river experience.

Exactly - I agree. The trip was flawed. There were no times listed for the ports on the cruise I was on. It is difficult to study the details when none are provided.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

Yes, VdNKh is totally worth it, maybe a little less accommodating weather-wise in September...

In addition to the usual suspects (Moskvarium, fountains, Mukhina's statue, Space museum and Cosmos pavilion, national pavilions, etc) they now have a pretty cool scale model of Moscow - not nearly as fun, interactive, or tongue-in-cheek as Grandmaket in SPB, but worth a visit - and it's free, too.

Actually, most exhibitions that usually cost money are free between 11am and 4 pm (I think) on weekdays, but it might be a summer thing.

Weather permitting, it's a full day kind of trip. You might benefit from renting a bike or a scooter.

Edited by napoxoguk

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 11:15 AM, napoxoguk said:

Where did you book those?

I love being on a river and watch the landscape float by. I don't mind when the ship stops just for a few hours at a small town. It looks like many contributors here see it as a waste of time and would prefer a more extensive visit to Moscow and St. Petersburg. 

Count me as one who enjoyed the time on the river during our Viking River Cruise. Moscow and St. Petersburg were fascinating, but it was wonderful to escape the traffic and sail through the beautiful countryside. The small towns/cities we stopped in were very interesting and the lunch we had in a family's home was so memorable.