New to O - Menu Preview/General questions

ropomo

12 minutes ago, clo said:

So I guess everyone can do as they please...and do 😞

No - 95+% of people comply with the dress code (used to be 100%).

You may get by the Maitre D' but if one has respect for oneself (and others) then they will not dress like a slob.

JMO.

Edited by Paulchili

Just now, Paulchili said:

No - 95+% of people comply with the dress code (use to be 100%).

You may get by the Maitre D' but if one has respect for oneself then they will not dress like a slob.

JMO.

I'm sure you now the expression "stink eye."  I'll have to practice mine 🙂

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

No - 95+% of people comply with the dress code (use to be 100%).

You may get by the Maitre D' but if one has respect for oneself (and others) then they will not dress like a slob.

JMO.

Can you please define what you consider constitutes women and men PAXs who  “dress like a slob”?  🤔

Edited by Kingofcool1947

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Can you define what you consider constitutes a PAX who  “dress like a slob”?

I know this is his 'uniform' but I hope Zuckerberg wouldn't dress like this in the GDR.

Image result for dress like a slob

1 minute ago, clo said:

I'm sure you now the expression "stink eye."  I'll have to practice mine 🙂

I actually try to mind my own business and hope others do to (there might be exceptions in extreme cases) 😉

I hate it when others at a table make ANY comments about other peoples' food. Just eat what's on your plate and talk about other things - everyone should be able to order and eat whatever and however much or little THEY want without any judgement.

Ditto for dress code - not my business to enforce it; I just care that I follow the code.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Can you please define what you consider constitutes women and men PAXs who  “dress like a slob”?  🤔

In case of Oceania's suggestion of Country Club Casual dress for dinner most people already know what "dressed like a slob" means and can thus avoid dressing like a slob.

Edited by Paulchili

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I actually try to mind my own business and hope others do to (there might be exceptions in extreme cases) 😉

I hate it when others at a table make ANY comments about other peoples' food. Just eat what's on your plate and talk about other things - everyone should be able to order and eat whatever and however much or little THEY want without any judgement.

Ditto for dress code - not my business to enforce it; I just care that I follow the code.

Good for you.  Very true.   MYOB is always best.

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

can thus avoid dressing like a slob.

Or know it but dress like a slob anyway.  But if the vast majority are compliant I can hopefully avert my eyes 🙂

Hmm, if they know they shouldn't dress a certain way then why do they?  I used to suggest that people dress like they were going to their grandmother's for Easter dinner.

1 minute ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

comments about other peoples' food.

I can't imagine what that would be like.  Well, I can.  Like "yum, that looks good."  We are very adventuresome eaters but I can't imagine any cruise food freaking people out.  Well, overdoing it with ketchup perhaps 🙂

23 minutes ago, clo said:

I know this is his 'uniform' but I hope Zuckerberg wouldn't dress like this in the GDR.

You need not worry.   M.Z.  could not care less what others think..  He would rent out the GDR for himself and his pals.   Or maybe charter the whole ship.   His uniform for work.   And when he checks his billions.

😁

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, I can.  Like "yum, that looks good." 

That is acceptable but things like - "how can you eat all that food" or "I couldn't possibly have another bite/dessert" (and then proceed to eat most of your partner's dessert), or "they serve much food here" (order less or half portion), etc - are not in my book of acceptable comments about food at a table with others.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Or know it but dress like a slob anyway.  But if the vast majority are compliant I can hopefully avert my eyes 🙂

Hmm, if they know they shouldn't dress a certain way then why do they?  I used to suggest that people dress like they were going to their grandmother's for Easter dinner.

Going to grandmas for Easter dinner?  🤔

Or,  how you would like to be dressed if you were going to your own funeral?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Going to grandmas for Easter dinner?  🤔

Or,  how you would like to be dressed if you were going to your own funeral?

Blame relaxed dress on Gen X and Millennials.  Many, are millionaire or multi-millionaires.  They could not care less what others think of their manner of dress.  They laugh all the way to the bank.  Tee shirts, jeans, and sandals is the norm, and uniform of the work day at tech companies.   If they even work in an office at all.   Not dressed like their stodgy parents,  or uncle Bob and aunt Martha.

Eventually the demographics of  cruisers will change.  The mature, more conservative PAXs especially on luxury cruise lines like Oceania will die, being replaced by the new younger PAXS.  Cruise lines will have to adapt.  Dumb down dress codes.  Cruising for the masses.  That’s JMO.

Dress up, and enjoy while you still can.  Your time might be short.    🤣

Good luck.  

Edited by Kingofcool1947

7 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Blame relaxed dress on Gen X and Millennials.  Many, are millionaire or multi-millionaires.  They could not care less what others think of their manner of dress.  They laugh all the way to the bank.  Tee shirts, jeans, and sandals is the norm, and uniform of the work day at tech companies.   If they even work in an office at all.   Not dressed like their stodgy parents,  or uncle Bob and aunt Martha.

Eventually the demographics of  cruisers will change.  The mature, more conservative PAXs especially on luxury cruise lines like Oceania will die, being replaced by the new younger PAXS.  Cruise lines will have to adapt.  Dumb down dress codes.  Cruising for the masses.  That’s JMO.

Dress up, and enjoy while you still can.  Your time might be short.

Good luck.  🤣

I think you're probably right.  And I don't think what's in the future is wrong.  Think of how differently we dressed than our parents.  I remember when I went downtown (Atlanta) with Mother I wore a hate and gloves.  Change is good...and inevitable.

PS:  "Young people" in gorgeous jeans, tops and shoes are a far cry from the old coot in baggy pant, a message tee shirt and, what?, Crocs?  🙂

Back in the day of fixed dining, we spent a week on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas with a man who insisted on wearing the same Boston Red Sox sweatshirt EVERY NIGHT!

Having said that, it makes me laugh how many people get up themselves by worrying about  what others are wearing/doing! Personally, I couldn't give a fig about them, as long as it's not offensive and I know I'm not being looked at, laughed at or, even worse, being refused food!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

OK  at breakfast or lunch in the MDR and The Terrace?   At least that is what works for me.  Is leather crocs/clogs not appropriate footwear at those times and venues?  🤔

https://oureverydaylife.com/how-to-dress-country-club-casual-men-12108332.html

During the day, fine. proper foot wear should be worn at night. What we wear on the Riviera: For nights in the GDR(again, NOT German Democratic Republic)we'll wear nice shirts (Ralph Lauren type short sleeve(or long) perhaps a "nice" tropic style shirt, nice slacks, NEVER jeans, thank you! Khaki or similar & frequently boat shoes (Timberland for me) Once in a while a sport coat, though we reserve those mostly for the specialty rest.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clo said:

"Mandals" are almost as bad as Crocs!  And, she-god forbid, that anyone would wear socks with mandals.  I actually snapped a pic of a guy in Seattle with that 'look' and sent to the daughter.  She choked laughing.

OK post a pic of Mandals. I think I need a good laugh.

1 minute ago, keithm said:

During the day, fine. proper foot wear should be worn at night. What we wear on the Riviera: For nights in the GDR(again, NOT German Democratic Republic)we'll wear nice shirts (Ralph Lauren type short sleeve(or long) perhaps a "nice" tropic style shirt, nice slacks, NEVER jeans, thank you! Khaki or similar & frequently boat shoes (Timberland for me) Once in a while a sport coat, though we reserve those mostly for the specialty rest.

That’s what I thought..

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

So,  you?  Which side of Oceania Dress Code Policy do you stand?

Simply what country club casual means. As in that article you linked earlier. It gave a pretty decent meaning. More casual in the day, more dressy(read the article, pax)at night. I can't comment on the Regatta & other ships, but as a whole, pax always dressed nicely(not over the top)on Riviera.

3 hours ago, clo said:

Yup, a true slob, except when testifying to Congress some time ago. A few years ago singer Ed Sheeran was on the QM2(we ALL know how he dresses!)he was a featured guest. He got kicked out of the dining room for not adhering to the dress code. I was glad to see it happened. Good to see someone with bucks not get the special treatment.

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Image result for mandals

Your were certainly right about the socks! EWWW! I have leather "mandals", which I'll wear ashore, but that's about it. & they look better than those. I've got some for in the water, which has saved me from a few Sea Urchin scrapes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, keithm said:

Your were certainly right about the socks! EWWW! I have leather "mandals", which I'll wear ashore, but that's about it. & they look better than those. I've got some for in the water, which has saved me from a few Sea Urchin scrapes.

LOL.  I see lots of Brits with this .  Sometimes with black socks to make it formal footwear..   😁