Arcadia NP: Island Explorer

aprilsp88

Hi,

Just wonder if island explorer make photo stop alone the way? Is it scenic drive if I just stay on the bus? If I get off I have to wait for the next bus, which is not efficient. Wonder if anyone takes it instead of renting a car or joining a tour?

Thanks,

April

It's not really possible to rent a car in Bar Harbor. The nearest car rental is at the airport, which, despite is name, is not in Bar Harbor. You're going to spend more time in a taxi to get to the car.

I believe the Island Explorer just is transport, like a hop on hop off.

The Island Explorer was put into service partly because traffic and pollution became a problem ... It has been wonderful.  I would do a tour unless you do a lot of research on the different drop off points and what there is at the different locations.  Acadia is a wonderful area ... it would be sad to miss seeing the beauty of Mount Desert Island.  (I pronounce Desert as something to eat after dinner ... others pronounce it as a very dry place)....it is debatable!    

PS - the name of the park is Acadia - no "r"  (not being mean, just explaining!).  Jan

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 3:34 PM, Jan_In_Maine said:

The Island Explorer was put into service partly because traffic and pollution became a problem ... It has been wonderful.  I would do a tour unless you do a lot of research on the different drop off points and what there is at the different locations.  Acadia is a wonderful area ... it would be sad to miss seeing the beauty of Mount Desert Island.  (I pronounce Desert as something to eat after dinner ... others pronounce it as a very dry place)....it is debatable!    

PS - the name of the park is Acadia - no "r"  (not being mean, just explaining!).  Jan

Thanks for the suggestion and correction. I think neither Island Explorer, nor the popular Olly's Trolley tour visit Mount Desert Island (I love sweets so I will also pronounce it Desert as it's always my favorite part of the cruise dinner). I will see if I can find a tour.

26 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thanks for the suggestion and correction. I think neither Island Explorer, nor the popular Olly's Trolley tour visit Mount Desert Island (I love sweets so I will also pronounce it Desert as it's always my favorite part of the cruise dinner). I will see if I can find a tour.

Oops - I didn't explain well.  Mount Desert Island is where Bar Harbor is located.  (also Somesville, SW Harbor, NE Harbor, etc.  Sorry, for the confusion!  Jan

1 minute ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

Oops - I didn't explain well.  Mount Desert Island is where Bar Harbor is located.  (also Somesville, SW Harbor, NE Harbor, etc.  Sorry, for the confusion!  Jan

When I check the map, Mountain Desert Island is marked as a separate area, on top of Acadia NP. So I thought they're 2 places. But if Acadia NP is on an island, that must be Mountain Desert Island. Now there is no confusion. Thanks for the explaination🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aprilsp88 said:

When I check the map, Mountain Desert Island is marked as a separate area, on top of Acadia NP. So I thought they're 2 places. But if Acadia NP is on an island, that must be Mountain Desert Island. Now there is no confusion. Thanks for the explaination🙂

There is actually a town on Mount Desert Island called Mount Desert --- it gets a little confusing!  

I hope you have a wonderful time when you visit ... It is a beautiful part of the state .... If you have any questions, just yell!!!  Jan

• Thanks 1

Mt. Desert is an island just offshore from the mainland and connected by bridge to the latter.  Bar Harbor is the main, but not the only, town there.  Ships drop anchor off-shore and tender their pax to the city dock.  Acadia National Park makes up quite a bit of the island south of Bar Harbor.  We've been to Bar Harbor by car and by ship.  When stopping there on a ship a few years ago I took advantage of the Island Explorer to ride to the highest point of the park (and island) to get a photo of our ship down below.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

Mt. Desert is an island just offshore from the mainland and connected by bridge to the latter.  Bar Harbor is the main, but not the only, town there.  Ships drop anchor off-shore and tender their pax to the city dock.  Acadia National Park makes up quite a bit of the island south of Bar Harbor.  We've been to Bar Harbor by car and by ship.  When stopping there on a ship a few years ago I took advantage of the Island Explorer to ride to the highest point of the park (and island) to get a photo of our ship down below.

You must have walked from the Island Explorer drop off up to the Cadillac Mountain - do you remember how far you had to walk?   Beautiful area!  Jan

12 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Besides Jan's question which I also want to know the answer, did you enjoy the hiking to the peak? Is it very scenic? Thanks.

13 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Besides Jan's question which I also want to know the answer, did you enjoy the hiking to the peak? Is it very scenic? Thanks.

The bus went right to the top or what I thought was the top--maybe it was just the highest open area overlooking the harbor.  No hiking necessary!

On 7/28/2019 at 3:31 PM, Jan_In_Maine said:

You must have walked from the Island Explorer drop off up to the Cadillac Mountain - do you remember how far you had to walk?   Beautiful area!  Jan

You pick up the Island Explorer right in town near a parking lot as I recall.

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

The bus went right to the top or what I thought was the top--maybe it was just the highest open area overlooking the harbor.  No hiking necessary!

You pick up the Island Explorer right in town near a parking lot as I recall.

Yes, one picks it up at the village green.  Sorry, I didn't make my self clear ... I meant to ask how far from the bus stop to the top of the mountain (the bus doesn't go all the way up - Or at least it never did) ... It sounds as if you did not actually go up to the top ... It is beautiful .. no matter how far one goes.  Jan

If you go to google maps and search for Cadillac Mountain, look at the photo view, not the map, and blow it up, you'll clearly see the loop up there with some parking spaces.  Can't remember exactly where the bus parked.  Possibly he dropped us off and we waited for the next bus or he went down to the gift shop not far below the summit and gave us 15 min or something like that.  Here's a photo to help--these folks are on that circular part of the path from the parking area.

Acadia National Park & Cadillac Mountain Enlarged image 1

3 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Here's a map of the park:  https://acadiamagic.com/Park.html  Cadillac Mtn is on the eastern side of the park.  The "circle" at the end of the road to the top is where the bus stops and lets pax enjoy the view for 15-20 (?) min.

This is a very good interactive map, thanks!

Do you mean the red arrow pointed "circle"? Which is stop B "North ridge" of route 4 loop road:

http://exploreacadia.com/route4.htm

cadillac.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Here's a map of the park:  https://acadiamagic.com/Park.html  Cadillac Mtn is on the eastern side of the park.  The "circle" at the end of the road to the top is where the bus stops and lets pax enjoy the view for 15-20 (?) min.

Howdy

Just a quick note, the Island Explorer Shuttle Bus does not go to the top of Cadillac Mountain.  If you want to take a bus to the top of Cadillac Mountain then you are going to have to sign up for one of the independent/private tours, such as Oli's Trolley or similar.  The free Island Explorer shuttles do not go to the top of Cadillac Mountain.

The walk from the bus parking to the scenic Cadillac Mountain overlook is not very far.  From the area just off the parking lot, you can see Frenchman Bay, the City of Bar Harbor and if you arrive by cruise ship, your cruise ship in the bay.

The summit of Cadillac Mountain is not very well marked or indicated.  I would have to guess that less than 5% of the visitors to Cadillac Mountain actually seek out the actual summit.  If you take the trail out behind the gift shop maybe a 100 yards, you will see a geological survey marker indicating the summit of 1530 ft.  Other than the marker, there is no view or reason to see the summit.

Hope that helps

ddaz

GBY

I'll be in Bar Harbor in mind September. Exactly where do I Pick up the bus once I get off the tender? How frequently do the buses run? How long would it take for the loop? Thanks in advance for your help.

6 hours ago, mets123 said:

I'll be in Bar Harbor in mind September. Exactly where do I Pick up the bus once I get off the tender? How frequently do the buses run? How long would it take for the loop? Thanks in advance for your help.

Howdy mets123,

The Island Explorer buses leave from the Village Green.  If you google maps the Bar Harbor area, you will see the Village Green about 3/10 of a mile up Main St from the port.  The buses leave from the northwest corner of the Village Green and there will be a dispatcher in the area to answer any questions you may have with which bus to take to which locations; or when will a specific bus be departing.

Hope that helps

ddaz

GBY

Edited by ddaz

My fellow Michiganian, ddaz, is correct.  Cadillac is a "bald" mountain top (rounded granite "lump" one might say), but it's all about the view.  Wouldn't suggest wearing sandals there, but otherwise one just has to watch where they're going/stepping.

It's named for Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac who founded Detroit about 1701 and the first explorer to visit what became our state of Michigan.  In 1695 he came to what was to be the state of Michigan, establishing Fort Michilimackinac on Mackinac Island in the straits of Mackinac which separate our lower and upper peninsulas.

I know I got on the bus right in the downtown area, a block or two from the tender dock (I think).

Here's the info on transportation to/in Acadia National Park

"Local Trolley Companies Offer Narrated Tours
Cadillac is the highest mountain on the eastern seaboard and a great place to avoid worrying about your car. Two private bus companies offer narrated tours that include stops at the summit.
      Island Explorer
 buses do not operate on the Cadillac Mountain road, but you can walk from the Village Green transit center to reach either tour. Contact the private bus companies for information about schedules and fares. Advance reservations are recommended.
      While on the summit of Cadillac, please remember that alpine plants are fragile. Take care to stay on the marked trails.

ACADIA NATIONAL PARK TOURS
Acadia National Park Tours offers a choice of tours that include stops on the summit of Cadillac Mountain. Buses depart from Testa's Restaurant (53 Main Street) across from Sherman's Book Store near the corner of Cottage and Main Streets. Tickets are available at Testa's. For prices and reservations call 288-3327.

OLI'S TROLLEY
Oli's Trolley offers a choice of tours that include stops at the top of Cadillac Mountain. Buses depart from the Town Pier. Tickets are available at One Harbor Place near the Town Pier. For prices and reservations call 288-9899."

Source:  http://www.exploreacadia.com/cadillac.htm

19 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

This is a very good interactive map, thanks!

Do you mean the red arrow pointed "circle"? Which is stop B "North ridge" of route 4 loop road:

http://exploreacadia.com/route4.htm

cadillac.png

No, I meant circle on the black line which is the road, just above the words "Cadillac Mountain".

Edited by BarbinMich

44 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

No, I meant circle on the black line which is the road, just above the words "Cadillac Mountain".

I don't find any island explorer route that stop there. I guess they must have changed their route?

islandexplorer.png

We were on a cruise ship in Bar Harbor in June. We took the National Park tour. It was fine. You do ride on a school bus, but the driver gave a very good commentary on the Park and the region. We had 3 photo stops. We took the first tour of the morning and then had the entire afternoon to walk around the town.

Most importantly, Do Not rent a car! As mentioned above, the rental location is very far from the ship and the town. We mistakenly did it once on a previous cruise, and highly regretted it.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 5:52 PM, trivia addict said:

Most importantly, Do Not rent a car! As mentioned above, the rental location is very far from the ship and the town. We mistakenly did it once on a previous cruise, and highly regretted it.

Thanks for the reminder. Just curious, how did you go to the rental location? By shuttle, uber or national explorer? I know it will take an hour to get to the airport if you take the NP.