Alaska Cruise - Coral vs Golden

Genevivev

We are looking at booking a Alaska Cruise - Northbound - in September. There seem to be two good options: 4 September (Coral) or 7 September (Golden), advice on which to choose would be appreciated.

We are mid 30's couple, looking at an inside cabin. I do get travel sick, so the most stable ship would be preferable (if there is a difference between the two).

I see that Golden has recently been upgraded, are there any real benefits from this? Previous posts have mentioned Coral having two good viewing decks (fore and aft viewing decks on Baja and Caribe) but I can't see any posts since the re-furb on Golden to assess whether this influences opinions.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Genevivev said:

Also any recommendations for Cabin Code? I was thinking IC as seems to be more mid ship which is possibly more stable? But any thoughts would be appreciated.

Either of those ships will be great.  As far as movement, there's less mid-ship, and less on lower decks.

I can't answer you on which ship to pick, but I can tell you that I am also very prone to motion sickness and I swear by the Seabands.. As soon as the ship starts moving, I put mine on and have never had a problem.  If I forget to put them on, I can tell that we are moving, but as soon as I put them back on, I am fine.. We just did a 10 day Baltic cruise last month and we were on deck 9 of RC Serenade of the Seas and I had no problems at all... If you haven't tried them, I would highly recommend them!  

6 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Coral - smaller ship, Golden - larger ship. Been on both, Golden wins.

Just curious----why would you pick Golden for Alaska over Coral?  Have you cruised both ships to Alaska before?

7 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Coral - smaller ship, Golden - larger ship. Been on both, Golden wins.

I have been on both and much prefer the Coral Princess. I don't subscribe to "bigger is always better".

The reviews last summer about the Golden were awful (water leaks everywhere) and the ship is going to be transferred to a sister line soon. I have sailed the Grand class ships to Alaska many times - I still have a preference to the Coral Princess but would sail the normal Grand class ships if that is all that is offered. I would not sail the Ruby, Emerald or Crown Princess as I found that class too crowded.

Our first Princess cruise was on the Golden and we were on her two times to Alaska. We were on the Coral for the Panama Canal and I can tell you that the Golden WINS!!! The Coral has a horrible "closed in" feeling buffet. We loved the openness of the Golden which also has Vines and Skywalker's which offer wonderful hanging out space. We also love aft cabins which the Golden has and are non existent on the Coral.

ironic - I love the forward buffet on the Coral and prefer it over horizon courts located aft. 

Have sailed both to Alaska and wouldn't hesitate to sail either.  That being said, Golden was lovely with a nice promenade deck for viewing, but Coral is our hands-down favorite for cruising.  great public viewing fore and aft, nice wide promenade deck, excellent library with big windows and comfy chairs, game room with big windows, terrific Wheelhouse bar.

Edited by LoriPhil

The general view from other posts is that Coral > Golden > Royal >>>> Island for the Alaska one-way itineraries. But the gap  between Coral and Golden is very narrow. If Sept 7 works better for you I wouldn’t hesitate to take the Golden over the Coral.  I have only been on the Golden and would endorse it for the Alaska itinerary. 

We loved viewing Glacier Bay from Skywalker's and right outside Skywalker's. Not crowded at all. We could run inside the lounge when really cold. The Captain does a 360 so no problem wit seeing everything.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

I have been on both and much prefer the Coral Princess. I don't subscribe to "bigger is always better".

The reviews last summer about the Golden were awful (water leaks everywhere) and the ship is going to be transferred to a sister line soon. I have sailed the Grand class ships to Alaska many times - I still have a preference to the Coral Princess but would sail the normal Grand class ships if that is all that is offered. I would not sail the Ruby, Emerald or Crown Princess as I found that class too crowded.

17 Days on the Golden in May '19, saw not one water leak. Ship is in excellent condition, crew is GREAT. The Golden is in the same league as the Grand/Crown class of ships. In fact, the Ruby in Nov had water leaks.

Edited by weedpindle