Best time to cruise to ABC Islands.

Granny DI

Looking at two cruises to the ABC Islands. The first is Nov 22, 2020 to Dec 2, 2020. The second is Dec 13, 2020 to Dec 23, 2020.

Same cruise just different dates.

Appreciate any opinions from those of you who have sailed to the ABC Islands during this time period.

The ABC Islands are so close to S. America that there won't be any difference weather wise between those 2 dates.  I've been there in various North American winter months, and it's always been hot and humid.

Roz

Edited by Roz

5 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Are you concerned at all by flight prices?  I would think travelling so close to Christmas, your air fares would be higher...

Plus flying that close to Christmas is a hassle!

Plus, could be more families onboard.

Edited by DaveOKC

Nov date is near Thanksgiving  and Dec near Christmas. I would think the Nov cruise would have more kids as most get a week off at Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation starts about Dec 20. 

The Dec Cruise is $1400 cheaper but Nov Cruise is loaded with goodies...drink package, Pinnacle and OBC.  

32 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

The last cruise would have the Christmas decorations up at port & on the ship.  We loved the Christmas stuff on the ABC Islands when we went a couple years ago.   I’d personally pick that one.  

Thinking the same thing.  We have sailed at New Years but never before Christmas. Used to live in Venezuela so visited Aruba often but never during the holidays.

42 minutes ago, Roz said:

The ABC Islands are so close to S. America that there won't be any difference weather wise between those 2 dates.  I've been there in various North American winter months, and it's always been hot and humid.

Roz

We did the Southern   Carribean itinerary many times   and love it......  aruba, Curacao and  Bonaire are high on my list of favorites in the Caribbean.

The dates you are choosing from are not all  that separated and   hardly any  difference in terms of expected weather.

They will all be quite the same.  If you want data, go to the  weather history website and compare the dates.

You won't go wrong with any IMO

But, of course, no one can  guarantee weather.

Edited by sail7seas

You made no comment as to which ship (s).

Are all the dates on the same ship?

Are  they all ten day cruises?

How about cabin availabiliy?  Can you get a cabin you want for all  the dates?

7 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

You made no comment as to which ship (s).

Are all the dates on the same ship?

Are  they all ten day cruises?

How about cabin availabiliy?  Can you get a cabin you want for all  the dates?

Nieuw Statendam, 10 day, same aft Neptune Suite. Prices sky rocket next cruise after the Dec one.

16 minutes ago, Granny DI said:

Thanks for responding

We always had to pay higher when we cruised over Christmas and New Years/  same for Thanksgiving.

Please let us know what you decide.

2 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Thanks for responding

We always had to pay higher when we cruised over Christmas and New Years/  same for Thanksgiving.

Please let us know what you decide.

The Dec week is a funky time period. The Nov Cruise is selling well the mid Dec not so much. Leaning to the Dec one because of price and Christmas decorations etc.

Thanks so much for all your input. I booked the December cruise this morning. I booked because of price and spending time in the Islands during the Christmas Holidays. 

I never thought there would be decent pricing in December. I guess many people don’t travel between the holidays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Granny DI said:

Thanks so much for all your input. I booked the December cruise this morning. I booked because of price and spending time in the Islands during the Christmas Holidays. 

I never thought there would be decent pricing in December. I guess many people don’t travel between the holidays. 

We often cruise the first week or two in Dec, as we find that this is the best time pricewise.  People get very busy with the holidays and school is in session (for most).  Once the holidays hit though, prices go way up (50% or more).

21 hours ago, Granny DI said:

Thinking the same thing.  We have sailed at New Years but never before Christmas. Used to live in Venezuela so visited Aruba often but never during the holidays.

I loved it and would love to do it again.  We were on the Kongingsdam for 21 days and the cruise ended December 21.  No issues with flights returning home as it was just as school was finishing up.   

4 hours ago, Granny DI said:

I guess many people don’t travel between the holidays.

Except those of us that have learned that prices are lower then! We've done 7 Dec cruises for that reason.

Edited by catl331

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

We often cruise the first week or two in Dec, as we find that this is the best time pricewise.  People get very busy with the holidays and school is in session (for most).  Once the holidays hit though, prices go way up (50% or more).

We ( and a number of others) sail Thanksgiving b-to-b.   I don't like to mess with  airports on heavy holiday   travel days so we would fly days before Thanksgiving, missing the mobs and stay on for next cruise.  By the time we went home,  (after a post cruise hotel stay)    travel  was  as sane as it ever is.  🙂       We had lots of company on turn around day in FLL so we were not the only ones doing that..  thus, ships sell a fair number of cabins (some  itineraries)

O course, a  new bunch  of cruisers joined the ship in FLL  for that post Thanks giving, early December cruise.

We    did  that many  times though if we did not sail T'giving, we of ten sailed Christmas/New Years  b-to- b.  Though, we did not find the pricing particularly attractive..    Christmas and New Years cruise prices are premium.

Edited by sail7seas

38 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

We ( and a number of others) sail Thanksgiving b-to-b.   I don't like to mess with  airports on heavy holiday   travel days so we would fly days before Thanksgiving, missing the mobs and stay on for next cruise.  By the time we went home,  (after a post cruise hotel stay)    travel  was  as sane as it ever is.  🙂       We had lots of company on turn around day in FLL so we were not the only ones doing that..  thus, ships sell a fair number of cabins (some  itineraries)

O course, a  new bunch  of cruisers joined the ship in FLL  for that post Thanks giving, early December cruise.

We    did  that many  times though if we did not sail T'giving, we of ten sailed Christmas/New Years  b-to- b.  Though, we did not find the pricing particularly attractive..    Christmas and New Years cruise prices are premium.

Granny Di,   Congratulations on your booking  I t is a wonderful cruise.

38 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

On 7/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, Granny DI said:

Nov date is near Thanksgiving  and Dec near Christmas. I would think the Nov cruise would have more kids as most get a week off at Thanksgiving and Christmas vacation starts about Dec 20. 

The Dec Cruise is $1400 cheaper but Nov Cruise is loaded with goodies...drink package, Pinnacle and OBC.  

Where we live, the schools only get Thursday, Friday and Monday off for Thanksgiving.

Christmas vacation begins on Dec 24 and students go back on Jan 2.

17 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Where we live, the schools only get Thursday, Friday and Monday off for Thanksgiving.

Christmas vacation begins on Dec 24 and students go back on Jan 2.

Thats mostly true here as well, except that some parents will take the kids out of school for a few extra days.

I think another issue is that alot of people have holiday parties and events in Dec that they do not want to miss.

Edited by DaveOKC

Pre- retirement Thanksgiving to New Years was a just a blur. I was teaching and had three kids with a thousand activities plus all the parties.  Never considered going anywhere during the holidays except skiing in Colorado between Christmas and New Years.

Now there aren’t many parties and the kids and grandkids are all doing their thousands things during the Christmas Holidays. I think this cruise will be perfect for us. If we enjoy it may make it annual thing. 

We’ve done Halloween and New Years Cruises....one and done. The Halloween cruise was over run with kids and the New Years was ok except for the price....high dollar cruise!