Help , information required about embarkation

Windsurfboy

43 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

giveum the ole......."do you know who i am " 

I  did ask politely about priority boarding, 

But Making a fuss is not a nice way to start a vacation.

If it happens again in November on QE,  I'll just ignore the queue 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

If it happens again in November on QE,  I'll just ignore the queue 

So stand there with you eyes closed so you don't see it, or try to push into the front - interesting to see how that goes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

We identified ourselves as Queens Grills passengers straight away, the lady acknowledged this and directed us to the check in, which was empty. We then checked in. It was during our check in process , taking pictures , credit card etc , that Cunard called first cards H Then G , who rushed to security then hence 100yard plus queue. We then asked again about priority and were told no priority for QG at security and were directed to the back of the queue. 

We have complained, Cunard at first said, we had priority boarding,  those in the queue ahead all were priority boarders,  grills or diamond world club. Armed with facts from this thread, i.e. that priority boarders are not given cards,  I told them this was not true we did not get priority boarding as paid for, even though we had arrived just before our allocated departure time .

Cunard have now admitted they got it wrong and apologised.

Isn't it amazing what additional facts can become available when a few pertinent questions are asked.

I'm surprised Cunard apologised when, as it appears to me,  you clearly did have priority boarding when compared to any other passenger 'arriving at the same time' as you.

I'm also pretty sure your experience will stand you in good stead for the upcoming Queen Elizabeth cruise: assuming you are again travelling at Grills level.

Bon voyage.

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Isn't it amazing what additional facts can become available when a few pertinent questions are asked.

I'm surprised Cunard apologised when, as it appears to me,  you clearly did have priority boarding when compared to any other passenger 'arriving at the same time' as you.

I'm also pretty sure your experience will stand you in good stead for the upcoming Queen Elizabeth cruise: assuming you are again travelling at Grills level.

Bon voyage.

Dear Solent Richard 

Cunard apologised because  we did not get priority boarding.

If we had arrived after our allocated departure time then we would have expected to be in a queue, as a consequence of being late and it would have been our fault. However we arrived just before our stated time.

The key time is NOT when you arrive but when you are supposed to arrive. Arriving early should not be at the expense of those who arrive on time. If you have priority boarding and arrive at or a bit before your stated time, then you should not expect a 100yard queue. 

The problem with the Cunard priority only at check in system is that it works perfectly if everyone arrives when they should.  However if they start boarding early because the ship is ready and lots of people have arrived early,  it then disadvantages those who arrive on time, even if they have priority .

Cunard have apologised and acknowledged that in fact we were given the wrong boarding time, even though I questioned this beforehand. 

The lesson to be learnt is arrive early , arriving on time doesn't work. One we shall heed.

Whilst we have embarked at Southampton many times with priority boarding with Princess/P&O as higher members of their loyalty club and also with Cunard having booked a QG suite we have always been given priority over those waiting to board but unless you are in the terminal when they start boarding and the queues at security have always been people in a similar position as us . If we have arrived later after general boarding has started we have been given priority boarding at check in but never at security as you join the same queue as everyone else which I wouldnt expect anything other.

46 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yes but we arrived before our allocated departure time. 

You seemed to have missed the point that Cunard dangle this illusion of a benefit to sell tickets, but it doesn't really exist because Cunard have chosen not to set up a priority queue or priority process for security.

22 minutes ago, picsa said:

You seemed to have missed the point that Cunard dangle this illusion of a benefit to sell tickets, but it doesn't really exist because Cunard have chosen not to set up a priority queue or priority process for security.

I agree with you, but the advertising code of practice emphases honesty and accuracy,  and as CUNARD's brochures and website constitute advertising they are covered by this in the UK and duty bound to honour their promises.  Hence the appology and more.

If Cunard kept everyone to their allocated times and positively discouraged early arrivals their system would work perfectly.

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If Cunard kept everyone to their allocated times and positively discouraged early arrivals their system would work perfectly.

Not going to happen. Ever. No matter how much you wish.

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Hence the appology and more.

So money talked and they bought you off.

1 hour ago, picsa said:

Not going to happen. Ever. No matter how much you wish.

So money talked and they bought you off.

If Cunard made a mistake and acknowledged it, I too can be bought. Better than an oops, and nothing more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

If Cunard made a mistake and acknowledged it, I too can be bought. Better than an oops, and nothing more.

But we all know the apology wasn't serious as nothing will change, and they were just being paid to go away and stop moaning.

2 minutes ago, picsa said:

But we all know the apology wasn't serious as nothing will change, and they were just being paid to go away and stop moaning.

A first timer who has booked a Q3 would expect the privileges given to his grade. He was misinformed about his embarkation time and so missed the  early boarding window which his cabin status allowed. He complained, not moaned and things will change for him as he's now well armed with a get there before 11.30am, for his future trip.

23 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

A first timer who has booked a Q3 would expect the privileges given to his grade. He was misinformed about his embarkation time and so missed the  early boarding window which his cabin status allowed. He complained, not moaned and things will change for him as he's now well armed with a get there before 11.30am, for his future trip.

He turned up at the time Cunard told him to and didn't get what he perceived he had paid for.

Cunard's response is 'sorry' but they are changing nothing, so the same thing will continue to happen in the future. That isn't much of an apology.

It is a standard process to throw cash at a problem customer to make them go away, and that it is what Cunard has done here. And it is very cheap if it is simply in OBC.

The forum advice is to ignore the booking times and turn up early; exactly what they were complaining that other people had done!

Edited by picsa

5 minutes ago, picsa said:

He turned up at the time Cunard told him to and didn't get what he perceived he had paid for.

Cunard's response is 'sorry' but they are changing nothing, so the same thing will continue to happen in the future. That isn't much of an apology.

It is a standard process to throw cash at a problem customer to make them go away, and that it is what Cunard has done here. And it is very cheap if it is simply in OBC.

The forum advice is to ignore the booking times and turn up early; exactly what they were complaining that other people had done!

We can argue the toss till the cows come home but I have never been given a twelve thirty boarding time as a passenger in QG.

Yes he turned up at or before the stated time but Cunard acknowledge they got it wrong i.e. incorrect boarding time and apologised with, one hopes a little something towards the next drink onboard. I'm aware throwing cash at a problem  can be corporate procedure but I'm a pretty good catcher if a mistake had been made and if better informed for the next time, might not have to get my catching gloves on again.

I Think the forum advice is if you are in Queens grills then turn up before 12.00 never mind what time you are given as you should be first.  The advice isn't for everyone to turn up early.

As for Cunard 's gesture of goodwill, what do you expect me to say thanks but no thanks all I wanted was an oops I'm sorry. Come off it , what would anyone do. 

PS it's interesting that P&O Cunard s sister company only promise priority check in,  not priority embarkation. 

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I Think the forum advice is if you are in Queens grills then turn up before 12.00 never mind what time you are given as you should be first.  The advice isn't for everyone to turn up early.

As for Cunard 's gesture of goodwill, what do you expect me to say thanks but no thanks all I wanted was an oops I'm sorry. Come off it , what would anyone do. 

PS it's interesting that P&O Cunard s sister company only promise priority check in,  not priority embarkation. 

I am due to sail with Princess very soon from Southampton and as an Elite member which allows "priority boarding" which I have done many times and never had priority over anyone else through security. Once checked in you are sent to an exclusive area where drinks and snacks are served but once you get to security its a free for all with no priority. It states on e-ticket "Priority Boarding Pass".