Debit Card Charged Twice

I do wonder how often cards get declined when Royal does this. My typical spending on a cruise is around $2000. What if I added another $2000 on a watch or something like that. They would basically be needing $8000 of available credit to run the card at the end of the cruise. 

I really think they should tell you this prior to boarding. 

5 minutes ago, 1992cruiser said:

I do wonder how often cards get declined when Royal does this. My typical spending on a cruise is around $2000. What if I added another $2000 on a watch or something like that. They would basically be needing $8000 of available credit to run the card at the end of the cruise. 

I really think they should tell you this prior to boarding. 

They actually do. See the link.

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

This is why it's recommended not to use a debit card on cruises. The pending/holds are a bank issue for when they drop off. Royal can't do anything.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/seapass-onboard-spending-account

The reason why it doesn't resolve as nicely is because your bank is wanting to match each hold to a corresponding amount, but royal just charges the total amount. So some banks don't match the sum of the individual charges to the once large charge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi

What if you use one credit card during the trip and all the pending charges show up there.  Then the last night (or around there) you switch to a different card (whether it’s credit or debit).

Would the full final amount hit the final card and all those pending charges just eventually fall off since they are on the other card?  Or would this cause more confusion since there isn’t any amount balancing out to the pending charges?

Noreen

Edited by Noreen411

Hi

What if you use one credit card during the trip and all the pending charges show up there.  Then the last night (or around there) you switch to a different card (whether it’s credit or debit).

Would the full final amount hit the final card and all those pending charges just eventually fall off since they are on the other card?  Or would this cause more confusion since there isn’t any amount balancing out to the pending charges?

Noreen

I would think that's similar to doing a cash account, but paying it off with a credit card. I've also heard people having a cash account but instead of adding more cash they just pay it down with a one time credit card payment and keep it cash. But that sounds time consuming to me.

4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I would think that's similar to doing a cash account, but paying it off with a credit card. I've also heard people having a cash account but instead of adding more cash they just pay it down with a one time credit card payment and keep it cash. But that sounds time consuming to me.

Agreed - it would be time consuming if you set up as cash initially.  I don’t know how much you can spend before having to pay it down so keeping track could be annoying.

That’s why I was thinking two different credit cards so you can let all the pending charges pile up on one then just switch it near the end of the trip to the card you actually want charged.

I may have to experiment and try this.

21 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi

Noreen

This - See highlighted part.

39 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

...  I don’t know how much you can spend before having to pay it down so keeping track could be annoying. ...

Don't worry, your card will stop working and Guest Services will contact you when you exceed the cash account credit amount.

4 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

Just spent 40 minutes on the phone with the bank, even spoke to the senior manager.

Facts:- my bank Citibank cannot release the funds until either :-

1. RCC cancel the pending charges (which they should have done when they settled my account) 

2. RCC advise in writing to my bank that they can release the pending charges 

3. RCC do not claim the pending charges within 30 days from date of charge

NB:- pending charges are 100% controlled by the merchant.  Banks have no control whatsoever over the pending charge.  Absolutely, no such thing as banks trying to match pending charges.

So can someone finally answer my original question, who do I contact at RCC to expedite the cancellation of the pending charges?  

Citibank lied to you.  WOW.

2 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

I understand.

My bank told me only RCC can remove the pending charges before the 30 day drop off point, & RCC can do that by cancelling the pending charges.  Those charges should have been cancelled when they charged my final account..

RCC is rorting the system.

What would’ve happened if I only had say $10 left on my debit card after all the pending charges, then, when it came to pay my final account, RCC would not have been able to use further funds on my card. So they would have applied the pending charges to settle my account leaving me with $10 in my account.  What they’ve done instead is charged my account double because I’ve had enough funds in there, but then failed to cancel the pending charges.  This is a rort! They’ve taken advantage of the fact that I had plenty of funds in my account by double charging me.

Citibank lied to you again.

The SECRET is the use a credit card.  Problem solved.  Like everyone else has said...preferably a credit card with cash back or hotel/miles accrual so you can get something back for your money.

Using a debit card for ANYTHING but an ATM is the absolute WORST thing you can do for yourself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crism said:

The SECRET is the use a credit card.  Problem solved.  Like everyone else has said...preferably a credit card with cash back or hotel/miles accrual so you can get something back for your money.

Using a debit card for ANYTHING but an ATM is the absolute WORST thing you can do for yourself.

Not quite.  I use my debit card for most of my purchases but never on travel expenses such as rental cars, hotel stays, and onboard accounts.  Have never had a problem.

• Like 1

My son used a debit card and when he called Royal, they told him it’s a bank issue, that only the bank can do anything with the account.  The bank told him it was on Royal to drop the hold.... it took about a week after for the account to b ok..... 

11 minutes ago, SuiteLady said:

My son used a debit card and when he called Royal, they told him it’s a bank issue, that only the bank can do anything with the account.  The bank told him it was on Royal to drop the hold.... it took about a week after for the account to b ok..... 

The bank decides whether to place a hold and what the duration will be.  There is no way RCI can electronically drop a hold on a credit card or debit card.

It's amazing bank call center agents have no idea what they are talking about.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

The bank decides whether to place a hold and what the duration will be.  There is no way RCI can electronically drop a hold on a credit card or debit card.

It's amazing bank call center agents have no idea what they are talking about.

This.

11 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

RCC are the only people who can cancel the pending charges before they expire at the 30 day mark.  My bank told me all pending charges are either applied by the merchant or cancelled.  Why didn’t RCC cancel them when they charged me my final account.  The answer:- to manipulate sales figures to trigger bonuses etc.  (this is what my bank suspects!)

And what possible "sales figures" could be manipulated by PENDING HOLDS... they're not pending sales, they are JUST holds.  

This is just more proof that your bank is lying to you and/or doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crism said:

I think that last sentence is a bit extreme.  Some people have trouble controlling their spending habits and tend to run up credit card debt.  For them, a debit card is good because they can only spend what they have and can't add to their debt.  I'm not suggesting using it for a cruise or other travel, but for everyday expenses like groceries, there's certainly nothing wrong with a debit card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

for everyday expenses like groceries, there's certainly nothing wrong with a debit card.

It is a lot more difficult to deal with drained bank accounts if your debit card gets "cloned" than it is to dispute credit card charges if a credit card gets cloned. You can still be protected by your debit card bank for fraudulent debits, but meanwhile, your mortgage payment might be declined, or you may get hit with overdraft fees that are exorbitant.

If you can control and track how much you spend with a debit card, you can do the same with a credit card. Just go home and go online and pay the balance every few days. No interest charges, no fees, no danger to your access to your cash.

6 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

It is a lot more difficult to deal with drained bank accounts if your debit card gets "cloned" than it is to dispute credit card charges if a credit card gets cloned. You can still be protected by your debit card bank for fraudulent debits, but meanwhile, your mortgage payment might be declined, or you may get hit with overdraft fees that are exorbitant.

If you can control and track how much you spend with a debit card, you can do the same with a credit card. Just go home and go online and pay the balance every few days. No interest charges, no fees, no danger to your access to your cash.

Not everyone has a mortgage, and you would not be responsible for the overdraft fees.  And actually it's not that difficult to fix things if your debit card gets cloned.

As far as controlling and tracking how much you spend with a debit card, the "control" part is built in, and not everyone tracks what they spend on their debit card.

Edited by time4u2go