omelet bar

tcworld

23 hours ago, jennybenny said:

All ships do the omelets, but I hate that they don't let you wait (and crowd the area-I get it) because by the time I have gotten served the eggs are cold, or they were under the lamp waiting for so long they are way overcooked.  I always try at least once per cruise and I'm usually disappointed I wasted my time. I hope your experience is better.

We just got off the Regal yesterday. We did wait for the omelet at the omelet station. It did not appear they were delivering any of them on the Regal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, npcl said:

While there are the small premade omelettes in the buffet area.  There is also a station on the Golden that you can walk up to and order omelettes.  They fill out a form, send it back to the kitchen area right behind the station, give you the corresponding number and a few minutes later out comes your custom ordered omelette.  Been that way the two times I have been on the Golden over the last 18 months.

If there was one there, it certainly was well hidden.  I did my cruise to AK about a month ago on the Golden.

DON

7 minutes ago, TravelingEA said:

We just got off the Regal yesterday. We did wait for the omelet at the omelet station. It did not appear they were delivering any of them on the Regal.

That’s great because I hate overlooked omelets that get delivered! 

1 hour ago, poongie40 said:

Does anyone know where the made to order omelets would be on the Ruby?   We live for those in the mornings!

Walk past the carving station and it is at the beginning of the next station.   I always order poached eggs, medium.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser
  • Like 2

Just a warning about Princess omelets (in the buffet or dining rooms).  Princess uses boxed liquid commercial eggs for their omelets and scrambled eggs.  The result is an omelet that has a somewhat different texture then an omelet made with fresh cracked eggs.  The commercial boxed stuff is homogenized, pasteurized, and usually has some additives and this does have an impact.  We used to request omelets with real eggs at the buffets and the cooks would oblige.  But on our last two cruises they refused our request (one cook told us he would get in trouble if he used real eggs).   The real cracked eggs are saved for things like eggs benedict and other preparations where they cannot possibly substitute the boxed gook.

Hank

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a warning about Princess omelets (in the buffet or dining rooms).  Princess uses boxed liquid commercial eggs for their omelets and scrambled eggs.  

Hank

We are not that discriminating about it. They still taste very good to us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We are not that discriminating about it. They still taste very good to us.

I also have no issue with the taste.  But the texture is "off" and the omelets have a "mushy" character which is different then when one uses real eggs.  We live in a strange world where folks are willing to pay many dollars for a bottle of water that is bottled from the tap :).  Is it asking too much for a cruise ship (or many restaurants) to use real eggs?  For the cruise lines the use of commercial eggs saves them money and space.  And the shelf life of commercial eggs is measured in "years" rather in weeks.  One difference we have noticed in the higher end cruise lines is that they will still use real eggs, fresh squeeze some of their fruit juices, etc.  I used to think all this talk about using real products was a lot of hooey.  But now, it is hard to ignore what is happening in the food industry.  I want my burgers made from real beef, eggs made from a real egg, chicken made from real chicken (not chicken parts pressed together and held together with chemical binders, etc).  Speaking of food, when is the last time most folks had a tomato that actually had the wonderful flavor we used to get in all of our tomatoes.  The growers have managed to take most of the flavor out of tomatoes in the process of developing a product that does not bruise!  I local farm stand owner admitted to me that he still grows his own little patch of tasty heirloom tomatoes for his family..although he only sells genetically altered tomatoes that have no blemishes and could probably be used as baseballs without bruising :).

Think about it.  Some folks (including me) are willing to pay more money for great steak that has (oh my goodness) enough fat/marbling to have real taste rather then the near tasteless low-fat stuff sold at most supermarkets.  Remove the fat (which is the new trend) and you also remove the taste.  Of course we now have vegetable products carefully designed to look and taste like meat 🙂  what next?

Hank

I would like to thank you for starting this topic...I was in the middle of reading it on this bright Sunday morning, when I felt a sudden inexplicable compulsion to get up and make us avocado, cheese and tomato omelettes. On the extra delicious side, we get fresh from the chicken eggs to add to the "yum" factor, so, again, thank you for starting this thread. 😄

• Like 4

On 8/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, Coveguy4 said:

Contrary to above statements....The omelet station is very good on the Royal.  We always have been served nice and hot omelets....  Enjoy

Agree.  Same on Regal and Majestic.  Will give Enchanted a try next year.

13 minutes ago, tcworld said:

I misspelled the dining room.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  The last cruise we were on they opened one of the dining rooms from 7-9 for breakfast.  Maybe they did it for just that cruise or it was just that ship.  

I was not calling you out on the spelling mistake, the poster before me was.

It is against CC guidelines to quote or highlight spelling mistakes on the forum.

It is a common mistake when discussing the dining room in threads.

4 hours ago, tcworld said:

I misspelled the dining room.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  The last cruise we were on they opened one of the dining rooms from 7-9 for breakfast.  Maybe they did it for just that cruise or it was just that ship.  

No one except for a few people really care. They knew exactly what you were referring to. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:58 PM, poongie40 said:

Does anyone know where the made to order omelets would be on the Ruby?   We live for those in the mornings!

I know this is devious ... and I even hate to suggest it in a public forum...

But, I suggest you go to the lido during breakfast service, and ask...

There is always a head waiter or supervisor in charge of the area, so you can ask them directly.

On the fourth hand, can't one just get an omelet made to order in the main dining room?

9 minutes ago, pablo222 said:

On the fourth hand, can't one just get an omelet made to order in the main dining room?

some don't want to take the time for the full sit down breakfast in the MDR and DH only dresses for dinner and does not want to change into a collared shirt to get breakfast then go back and change into his tank and shorts to go lay out on the deck......so the buffet wins for both of those issues. We also like to get our breakfast and take it to our seats (not saved) and lay out and nibble while we read, relax and what not.

20 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

some don't want to take the time for the full sit down breakfast in the MDR and DH only dresses for dinner and does not want to change into a collared shirt to get breakfast then go back and change into his tank and shorts to go lay out on the deck......so the buffet wins for both of those issues. We also like to get our breakfast and take it to our seats (not saved) and lay out and nibble while we read, relax and what not.

A collared shirt for breakfast in the DR?

I think not.......

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

A collared shirt for breakfast in the DR?

I think not.......

yup we went in one time I had on a tank and shorts as we were going out to the deck after breakfast, and DH had on a t-shirt and shorts and they wouldn't let him in...he had to go back to get the hawaiin shirt he wore the night before at dinner.  We would have just left but were dining with friends and he already had sun tan lotion on his arms and didn't want to get it on a clean shirt he was going to wear on the cruise so he ran back and put on the old shirt.  Ever since then we have not done MDR for breakfast.  But oddly I was allowed in with a tank, shorts and flip flops with my swim suit underneath...thought it was odd that they didn't make me change too.

Edited by cruzrbachoua
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

yup we went in one time I had on a tank and shorts as we were going out to the deck after breakfast, and DH had on a t-shirt and shorts and they wouldn't let him in...he had to go back to get the hawaiin shirt he wore the night before at dinner.  We would have just left but were dining with friends and he already had sun tan lotion on his arms and didn't want to get it on a clean shirt he was going to wear on the cruise so he ran back and put on the old shirt.  Ever since then we have not done MDR for breakfast.  But oddly I was allowed in with a tank, shorts and flip flops with my swim suit underneath...thought it was odd that they didn't make me change too.

When you said collared..........

I was thinking t-shirt or  polo type shirt. I have been challenged with a tank top even though a few women within sight of the entrance had them as well as sleeveless  on. 🙄

Have never had a problem with any t-shirt for breakfast or lunch.

13 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

When you said collared..........

I was thinking t-shirt or  polo type shirt. I have been challenged with a tank top even though a few women within sight of the entrance had them as well as sleeveless  on. 🙄

Have never had a problem with any t-shirt for breakfast or lunch.

All dh brought with him was a regular blank tee, tanks for port days and on deck and Hawaiian shirts for casual dinner and his undershirt and formal night shirt...I couldn't believe that they turned him away in a plain green tee...so in order to eat breakfast he only had 1 of the Hawaiian shirts to toss on...perhaps we could try again different ship different staff but we also didn't like the drawn out affair we wanted to get on with our day so now we just don't try 

11 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

some don't want to take the time for the full sit down breakfast in the MDR and DH only dresses for dinner

I was suggesting the dining room for the folks who can't figure out how to ask in the lido...

14 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

All dh brought with him was a regular blank tee, tanks for port days and on deck and Hawaiian shirts for casual dinner and his undershirt and formal night shirt...I couldn't believe that they turned him away in a plain green tee...so in order to eat breakfast he only had 1 of the Hawaiian shirts to toss on...perhaps we could try again different ship different staff but we also didn't like the drawn out affair we wanted to get on with our day so now we just don't try 

I don't know which cruise line or ship you're referring to but in all of our career's on any or Princess's ships it's never been that way.  Just a pair of shorts & T shirt is all that's ever been expected for breakfast.

Perhaps you just ran into a new employee who didn't know the rules yet.

You should have asked to talk to the head waiter or Maitre D'.

4 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I don't know which cruise line or ship you're referring to but in all of our career's on any or Princess's ships it's never been that way.  Just a pair of shorts & T shirt is all that's ever been expected for breakfast.

Perhaps you just ran into a new employee who didn't know the rules yet.

You should have asked to talk to the head waiter or Maitre D'.

We were on the Caribbean Princess.  We had never been to breakfast and had not planned on it so I didn't read up on the rules of the MDR etiquette or dress code for breakfasts.  So when we attempted to get in and they said no he was against dress code we certainly were not going to argue and didn't want to cause a big scene as we were with friends, he himself had a collared polo and slacks on....but he always dressed that way and they were not going to lay out on the deck so I didn't think anything about what DH was wearing.  Again we didn't want to cause a scene and figured those were the rules as those were the rules at night so he went and changed to follow the rules.  Now apparently that is not the rules but as stated we didn't want to cause a scene and figured it was appropriate for eating in the MDR and went along with it...but in the end didn't care for the length of time it took to eat the breakfast so we now just do buffet or IC.  We don't mind the drawn out dinners to close out the day and chit chat and what not...but in the am we wanted to get going with our sun time before some of the other events we wanted to partake in started...as it turned out that day we didn't get much sun time.

So now it doesn't matter to us as we just don't use that as an option.  I just thought it wrong for someone to state if you wanted to personalize your omelet to go to the sit down breakfast.  What if that is all someone wanted was an egg white omelet or whatever...they had to go sit in the MDR...when so many other ships offer the omelet station in the princess fleet. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

We also hate the long waits in the DR for breakfast. Even to get a danish sometimes takes 10 minutes whereas at the buffet you jump up & grab it. 

There are to many things going on that we like to do rather then spend an hour for a simple meal. 

Funny how vacations vary from person to person...we spend mornings rushing to get things done and on the road to work...so, we love sitting down and being waited on in the MDR (if we aren't pressed for time...i.e. meeting for an excursion)...it's nice to sit and relax, order a meal, take your time eating and enjoying each other's company...good thing we are all wired different or the buffet or MDR would be overcrowded. LOL!!

• Like 1